Rear wheel cyclometers with cadence recommendations? (for use regular biking or training)..

markm75

Guest
Curious what everyone views as good cyclometers with rear wheel pickup
and cadence?

I have an avocet 25 currently, satisfied with its features. I really
dont want to pay alot for a replacement (to enable me to use rear
wheel ability when in a trainer). Ie: $50 ideal.. but could go higher
if it included heart rate monitoring (as i'm going with a standalone
watch that is $35 for that)..

Here are a few that I believe will work on the rear wheel.. though not
sure how great they are:

Garmen 305 (too pricey at $217 but kinda cool, though not sure how
accurate or reliable the GPS would be, no cadence i believe):
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Foreru...0?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1187202074&sr=8-1

Polar CS200CAD $169
http://www.amazon.com/Polar-CS200ca...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1187202224&sr=8-1
(still abit too pricey for my tastes, rear wheel capable?)...

Cateye Astrale 8 (bad reviews?)
http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-CatEye...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1187202373&sr=8-2
(is this the same as CC-CD200? which has semi bad reviews?)

Cateye CC-RD200 (rear capable?) (http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-CC-
RD200-Cadence-Bicycle-Computer/dp/B000R6QR2C/
ref=pd_bbs_4/105-8219099-0195640?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-
goods&qid=1187202839&sr=8-4)

Any thoughts on these or others i may not have found?

Thanks

markm75 wrote:

> Curious what everyone views as good cyclometers with rear wheel pickup
> and cadence?

I bought a Cateye Astrale 8 for my wind trainer bike last winter. No
complaints. It's a good basic rear wheel unit. I bought it new on eBay
for ~$30 shipped.

Art Harris

I just replaced my old Trek Sensor because some punk kid smashed it,
when I accidentally left it on the bike, while parked at the library
for a few hours. I decided to go for the kitchen sink and went with
the "Trek Incite ACH Digital" for about $160. It's totally wireless
and has all the usual features, plus: cadence, grade, heart rate,
temperature, and low battery. It's got a few idiosyncracies but
overall works pretty well.

http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp...UCT&path=1,2,393&iProductID=959&bShopOnline=0

- Tom

markm75 wrote:
> Curious what everyone views as good cyclometers with rear wheel pickup
> and cadence?
>
> I have an avocet 25 currently, satisfied with its features. I really
> dont want to pay alot for a replacement (to enable me to use rear
> wheel ability when in a trainer). Ie: $50 ideal.. but could go higher
> if it included heart rate monitoring (as i'm going with a standalone
> watch that is $35 for that)..
>
> Here are a few that I believe will work on the rear wheel.. though not
> sure how great they are:
>
> Garmen 305 (too pricey at $217 but kinda cool, though not sure how
> accurate or reliable the GPS would be, no cadence i believe):
> http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Foreru...0?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1187202074&sr=8-1
>

> Polar CS200CAD $169
> http://www.amazon.com/Polar-CS200ca...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1187202224&sr=8-1
> (still abit too pricey for my tastes, rear wheel capable?)...
>

> Cateye Astrale 8 (bad reviews?)
> http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-CatEye...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1187202373&sr=8-2
> (is this the same as CC-CD200? which has semi bad reviews?)
>
> Cateye CC-RD200 (rear capable?) (http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-CC-
> RD200-Cadence-Bicycle-Computer/dp/B000R6QR2C/
> ref=pd_bbs_4/105-8219099-0195640?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-
> goods&qid=1187202839&sr=8-4)
>
> Any thoughts on these or others i may not have found?
>
> Thanks

I didn't see any bad reviews for the Cateye Astrale 8??? I own 2 of
these units and have several thousand miles on both of them both indoor
on the trainer and outside. With my experience of using this unit I
can't possibly see spending any more $$$ than that. IMHO it's a great
value.

Brian

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:41:37 -0400, Brian Kerr
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I didn't see any bad reviews for the Cateye Astrale 8??? I own 2 of
>these units and have several thousand miles on both of them both indoor
>on the trainer and outside. With my experience of using this unit I
>can't possibly see spending any more $$$ than that. IMHO it's a great
>value.

While I have a couple of Astrales, and they do work well, if I were
replacing one I think I'd get the Cateye Strada with cadence. For an
extra $10, I wouldn't have to worry about losing all my miles when the
battery dies. (OK, yes, I'm obsessing, but I earned all those miles
the hard way!)

Pat

Email address works as is.

On Aug 15, 10:26 pm, Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:41:37 -0400, Brian Kerr
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I didn't see any bad reviews for the Cateye Astrale 8??? I own 2 of
> >these units and have several thousand miles on both of them both indoor
> >on the trainer and outside. With my experience of using this unit I
> >can't possibly see spending any more $$$ than that. IMHO it's a great
> >value.

> While I have a couple of Astrales, and they do work well, if I were
> replacing one I think I'd get the Cateye Strada with cadence. For an
> extra $10, I wouldn't have to worry about losing all my miles when the
> battery dies. (OK, yes, I'm obsessing, but I earned all those miles
> the hard way!)
>
> Pat
>
> Email address works as is.

Thanks for the ideas guys.. so do any of you prefer cyclometers with
heart rate monitors built in.. or the nice simple $30 watch solution..
I saw a few cyclometers with heart rate sensors (chest type).. some
said you had to wet it first, while others reported unusual readings
from time to time, while the watch I was looking at had very good
reviews/reports overall.

The simple cateye device sounds like the most economical, coupled with
a wristwatch heart rate monitor (and maybe a handlebar type adapter
instead of using it as a watch). All in one would be nice, but the
price seems to hit about $160 for that. For that price i'd want it to
have altimeter and climb rate etc too :)

"markm75" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Curious what everyone views as good cyclometers with rear wheel pickup
> and cadence?

.....> Garmen 305 (too pricey at $217 but kinda cool, though not sure how
> accurate or reliable the GPS would be, no cadence i believe):

You can get it with cadence for about $35-40 more. The GPS seems to be very
accurate and responsive. Given that you're being tracked by multiple
satellites, it's almost creepy how instantaneously it shows your changes in
speed, grade, etc.