Rear wheel cyclometers with cadence recommendations? (for use regular biking or training)..

markm75

Guest
Curious what everyone views as good cyclometers with rear wheel
pickup
and cadence?

I have an avocet 25 currently, satisfied with its features. I really
dont want to pay alot for a replacement (to enable me to use rear
wheel ability when in a trainer). Ie: $50 ideal.. but could go
higher
if it included heart rate monitoring (as i'm going with a standalone
watch that is $35 for that)..

Here are a few that I believe will work on the rear wheel.. though
not
sure how great they are:

Garmen 305 (too pricey at $217 but kinda cool, though not sure how
accurate or reliable the GPS would be, no cadence i believe):
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Wrist-Mounted-Navigator-Perso...

Polar CS200CAD $169
http://www.amazon.com/Polar-CS200cad-Cycling-Computer-Monitor/dp/B000...
(still abit too pricey for my tastes, rear wheel capable?)...

Cateye Astrale 8 (bad reviews?)
http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-CatEye-Astrale-8-Cyclo-computer/dp/B000P...
(is this the same as CC-CD200? which has semi bad reviews?)

Cateye CC-RD200 (rear capable?) (http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-CC-
RD200-Cadence-Bicycle-Computer/dp/B000R6QR2C/
ref=pd_bbs_4/105-8219099-0195640?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-
goods&qid=1187202839&sr=8-4)

Any thoughts on these or others i may not have found?

Thanks

On Aug 15, 12:46 pm, markm75 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Curious what everyone views as good cyclometers with rear wheel
> pickup
> and cadence?
> I have an avocet 25 currently, satisfied with its features.

<snip>

If you are satisfied by anything produced by the Hoffackers, you will
be happy with anything.

> Garmen 305

The Garmen Edge 305 + cadence uses a wireless sending unit for both
cadence and wheel speed. So, yes it will work on a trainer.

<snip> Link <snip>

> Polar CS200CAD

<snip> Link <snip>

Uses two wireless sending units. Speed is calculated front the front
wheel, and the transmitter as a 50 cm range. In general it wouldn't
work for a rear wheel set up.

> Cateye Astrale 8

<snip> Link <snip>

> (bad reviews?)

You have to love Amazon reviews. The guy who low scored the unit
couldn't figure out how to change the read-out from KM to miles. The
first illustration in the manual is a flow sheet. The second panel in
the flow sheet is how to toggle between KM and miles. The Astrale 8
has been a mainstay for cateye for years, that said, it is rumored to
be being phased out.

> Cateye CC-RD200 (rear capable?)

The Cateye Strada Cadence is the apparent replacement for the Astrale
8. It's wired, and uses a rear wheel pick-up. Seems to fit your needs

> Any thoughts on these or others i may not have found?

If all you want is cadence and a rear wheel pick-up, then you should
be happy with Cateye Strada Cadence. If you want more bells and
whistles, consider:
The Garmin edge 305
or
The Cateye CD300DW

The pricey Cateye models have them.

news:[email protected]...

On Aug 15, 4:17 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Aug 15, 12:46 pm, markm75 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Curious what everyone views as good cyclometers with rear wheel
> > pickup
> > and cadence?
> > I have an avocet 25 currently, satisfied with its features.

> <snip>
>
> If you are satisfied by anything produced by the Hoffackers, you will
> be happy with anything.
>
> > Garmen 305

> The Garmen Edge 305 + cadence uses a wireless sending unit for both
> cadence and wheel speed. So, yes it will work on a trainer.
>
> <snip> Link <snip>
>
> > Polar CS200CAD

> <snip> Link <snip>
>
> Uses two wireless sending units. Speed is calculated front the front
> wheel, and the transmitter as a 50 cm range. In general it wouldn't
> work for a rear wheel set up.
>
> > Cateye Astrale 8

> <snip> Link <snip>
>
> > (bad reviews?)

> You have to love Amazon reviews. The guy who low scored the unit
> couldn't figure out how to change the read-out from KM to miles. The
> first illustration in the manual is a flow sheet. The second panel in
> the flow sheet is how to toggle between KM and miles. The Astrale 8
> has been a mainstay for cateye for years, that said, it is rumored to
> be being phased out.
>
> > Cateye CC-RD200 (rear capable?)

> The Cateye Strada Cadence is the apparent replacement for the Astrale
> 8. It's wired, and uses a rear wheel pick-up. Seems to fit your needs
>
> > Any thoughts on these or others i may not have found?

> If all you want is cadence and a rear wheel pick-up, then you should
> be happy with Cateye Strada Cadence. If you want more bells and
> whistles, consider:
> The Garmin edge 305
> or
> The Cateye CD300DW

Thanks for those tips.. that was great..

I had also run across this unit:

Trek Incite ACH Digital http://penncycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=12878
Around $179, but it has the HR part, altimeter and everything else (i
was dreaming about).. I guess if my budget grows and this one is
decent it would be another option, otherwise I am leaning towards that
Cateye Strada Cadence CC-RD200 for now, with a wrist watch HR monitor
for now ($30 plus $30 or $60 plus shipping for both roughly vs the
$179 or the nice looking Garmin for $276 :)

On Aug 15, 10:43 pm, markm75 <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 15, 4:17 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > On Aug 15, 12:46 pm, markm75 <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Curious what everyone views as good cyclometers with rear wheel
> > > pickup
> > > and cadence?
> > > I have an avocet 25 currently, satisfied with its features.

> > <snip>

> > If you are satisfied by anything produced by the Hoffackers, you will
> > be happy with anything.

> > > Garmen 305

> > The Garmen Edge 305 + cadence uses a wireless sending unit for both
> > cadence and wheel speed. So, yes it will work on a trainer.

> > <snip> Link <snip>

> > > Polar CS200CAD

> > <snip> Link <snip>

> > Uses two wireless sending units. Speed is calculated front the front
> > wheel, and the transmitter as a 50 cm range. In general it wouldn't
> > work for a rear wheel set up.

> > > Cateye Astrale 8

> > <snip> Link <snip>

> > > (bad reviews?)

> > You have to love Amazon reviews. The guy who low scored the unit
> > couldn't figure out how to change the read-out from KM to miles. The
> > first illustration in the manual is a flow sheet. The second panel in
> > the flow sheet is how to toggle between KM and miles. The Astrale 8
> > has been a mainstay for cateye for years, that said, it is rumored to
> > be being phased out.

> > > Cateye CC-RD200 (rear capable?)

> > The Cateye Strada Cadence is the apparent replacement for the Astrale
> > 8. It's wired, and uses a rear wheel pick-up. Seems to fit your needs

> > > Any thoughts on these or others i may not have found?

> > If all you want is cadence and a rear wheel pick-up, then you should
> > be happy with Cateye Strada Cadence. If you want more bells and
> > whistles, consider:
> > The Garmin edge 305
> > or
> > The Cateye CD300DW

> Thanks for those tips.. that was great..
>
> I had also run across this unit:
>
> Trek Incite ACH Digitalhttp://penncycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=12878
> Around $179, but it has the HR part, altimeter and everything else (i
> was dreaming about).. I guess if my budget grows and this one is
> decent it would be another option, otherwise I am leaning towards that
> Cateye Strada Cadence CC-RD200 for now, with a wrist watch HR monitor
> for now ($30 plus $30 or $60 plus shipping for both roughly vs the
> $179 or the nice looking Garmin for $276 :)- Hide quoted text -

Assuming this Trek would work for rear wheel pickup, which I'm now
doubting it would.