rear wheel durability for touring

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kbh, May 21, 2003.

  1. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    Going to embark on a 3 day tour soon and my "touring" bike is equipped with this rear wheel:

    32 14ga spokes Mavic MA-3 Machine built (but I build my own now!), hand trued but not totally
    loosened/rebuilt

    I weigh in at 175. With a typical 3 day load (2 panniers, rack trunk, maybe 25 lbs?) does this wheel
    stand a chance?

    Thx,

    Kyle

    Tags:

  2. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Going to embark on a 3 day tour soon and my "touring" bike
    is equipped with
    > this rear wheel:
    >
    > 32 14ga spokes Mavic MA-3 Machine built (but I build my own now!), hand trued but
    not totally
    > loosened/rebuilt
    >
    > I weigh in at 175. With a typical 3 day load (2 panniers,
    rack trunk, maybe
    > 25 lbs?) does this wheel stand a chance?

    Sure, just pretend you're a 200 LB rider on a normal ride!

    If it's a machine built wheel, it's probably too loose, and not properly stress-relieved. You could
    improve it by simply tightening the spokes. But if you're going to that trouble, you might as well
    give it a good stress-relieving too. You can do this yourself with the aid of Jobst's book, or some
    other good instructions -- or take it to a shop who knows good wheelbuilding. I've had no problems
    since I started doing this. Rather than a custom build, I've taken to buying cheap mahcine builts,
    and retensioning and stress-relieving them.

    Matt O.