rear wheel problem

smnw10

Aug 23, 2004
Hi all
Here's the problem I am having and I hope someone could give me a good idea of what is wrong and possibly how to fix it.
My rear wheel makes a "rubbing" noise that is in sync with each revolution of the wheel. Very similar to a wheel that is not tru and as the one side comes around and barely rubs the break pad. That's what I thought it was at first but nope, it clears easily. The tire isn't rubbing anywhere and nothing else is touching it. It also only makes this noise when I am actually on the bike, when I put it on the repair stand the sound is non-existent. That has led me to believe that it is something with the rear hub possibly and when there is weight on it, the noise arises. The wheels are Mavic Cosmos, 2 years old, 4500 miles on them.
Anyone know what this might be or how to fix it? I'm gonna try to get it to a shop soon but it's my only wheel set and don't really want to be without it for a few days.

thanks in advance!
John

smnw10 said:
Hi all
Here's the problem I am having and I hope someone could give me a good idea of what is wrong and possibly how to fix it.
My rear wheel makes a "rubbing" noise that is in sync with each revolution of the wheel. Very similar to a wheel that is not tru and as the one side comes around and barely rubs the break pad. That's what I thought it was at first but nope, it clears easily. The tire isn't rubbing anywhere and nothing else is touching it. It also only makes this noise when I am actually on the bike, when I put it on the repair stand the sound is non-existent. That has led me to believe that it is something with the rear hub possibly and when there is weight on it, the noise arises. The wheels are Mavic Cosmos, 2 years old, 4500 miles on them.
Anyone know what this might be or how to fix it? I'm gonna try to get it to a shop soon but it's my only wheel set and don't really want to be without it for a few days.

thanks in advance!
John

Loose spokes perhaps?:D

smnw10 said:
Hi all

thanks in advance!
John

I had this problem once ... it was a bent axel (axels do not like big 250 pound Petes). Try that. Is it a freehub hub http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_e-f.html#freehub ?

Pete

hmm, I've got that problem on my bike and it does it even with no weight on it. The hub is a Shimano-compatible Bontrager.

ganderctr said:
hmm, I've got that problem on my bike and it does it even with no weight on it. The hub is a Shimano-compatible Bontrager.

Sorry I think my post was misleading. I had this problem when I did not have the freehub hub ... ever since I changed to that my axel is fine. I was trying to say that this style of hub is good because the axel is supported closer to the drop out so there is less force to bend it.

thanks for the replies

Spokes are all fine and from what everyone has said it sounds like it's more than I want to deal with so I think I'll just take it in and see what the LBS says

thanks

smnw10 said:
thanks for the replies

Spokes are all fine and from what everyone has said it sounds like it's more than I want to deal with so I think I'll just take it in and see what the LBS says

thanks

I reckon your initial diagnosis is likely to be the right one. As you say, the noise only seems to happen when riding, yet the brake blocks don't rub on the wheel when testing on the repair stand. Your frame and wheels do flex a little from side to side when you push on the pedals, especially if you're riding out of the saddle. Try opening the quick release on the rear brake and go for a ride - that should give enough clearance for the rubbing to go away... if it isn't the brakes dragging, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas...

Ritch