rear wheel problem

yk

Guest
Problem started since I rode for several hours in heavy rain.
First, I noticed more resistance while riding the bike.
Then, chain starts to fall off from the largest cog on a hill. It is a
down tube friction type shifter. Shifter moves back when I apply pressure
on pedals.. I need to keep holding a shifter while climbing a hill.
And then, the rear wheel started to make noise when it turns.
These problems started to show up at few days interval.
Is this lublication problem at freewheel ?. Any suggesstion ? TIA

yk wrote:
> Problem started since I rode for several hours in heavy rain.
> First, I noticed more resistance while riding the bike.
> Then, chain starts to fall off from the largest cog on a hill. It is a
> down tube friction type shifter. Shifter moves back when I apply pressure
> on pedals.. I need to keep holding a shifter while climbing a hill.
> And then, the rear wheel started to make noise when it turns.
> These problems started to show up at few days interval.
> Is this lublication problem at freewheel ?. Any suggesstion ? TIA

bearings full of grit. needs to be stripped & repacked with grease &
bearings replaced - if damage is not too severe.

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> yk wrote:
> > Problem started since I rode for several hours in heavy rain.
> > First, I noticed more resistance while riding the bike.
> > Then, chain starts to fall off from the largest cog on a hill. It is a
> > down tube friction type shifter. Shifter moves back when I apply

pressure
> > on pedals.. I need to keep holding a shifter while climbing a hill.
> > And then, the rear wheel started to make noise when it turns.
> > These problems started to show up at few days interval.
> > Is this lublication problem at freewheel ?. Any suggesstion ? TIA
> >

> bearings full of grit. needs to be stripped & repacked with grease &
> bearings replaced - if damage is not too severe.

Thanks Jim. Is bearings a part of hub or freewheel ? Sorry, I am
newbie.

"yk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > yk wrote:
> > > Problem started since I rode for several hours in heavy rain.
> > > First, I noticed more resistance while riding the bike.
> > > Then, chain starts to fall off from the largest cog on a hill. It is

> > > down tube friction type shifter. Shifter moves back when I apply

> pressure
> > > on pedals.. I need to keep holding a shifter while climbing a hill.
> > > And then, the rear wheel started to make noise when it turns.
> > > These problems started to show up at few days interval.
> > > Is this lublication problem at freewheel ?. Any suggesstion ? TIA
> > >

> > bearings full of grit. needs to be stripped & repacked with grease &
> > bearings replaced - if damage is not too severe.

> Thanks Jim. Is bearings a part of hub or freewheel ? Sorry, I am
> newbie.

The noise sounds like it could be the freewheel, they make a pretty loud
sound when dry.
Pull off the freewheel, hold it such that the teeth are facing the palm of
your hand and apply regular motor oil so it runs down in the opposite side.
Spin the freewheel and the noise should go away.

As for the shifter slipping, tighten up the shift lever.

Clean and repack the hubs with grease.
-tom

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "yk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message

is

> > pressure

TIA

> > > bearings full of grit. needs to be stripped & repacked with grease &
> > > bearings replaced - if damage is not too severe.

> > Thanks Jim. Is bearings a part of hub or freewheel ? Sorry, I am
> > newbie.
> >

> The noise sounds like it could be the freewheel, they make a pretty loud
> sound when dry.
> Pull off the freewheel, hold it such that the teeth are facing the palm of
> your hand and apply regular motor oil so it runs down in the opposite

side.
> Spin the freewheel and the noise should go away.
>
> As for the shifter slipping, tighten up the shift lever.
>
> Clean and repack the hubs with grease.
> -tom

Tom, thanks for suggestions. I'll try them.