rear wheel replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hiram

Hi

I have a trek 830 a few years old. The rear wheel was unfortunately stolen so I took the bike into
the local bike shop. They seemed pretty legit, though I was quoted approx $100 to replace the wheer
wheel/tire/tube and the metal chain connector (don't know the offical name). The bike was probably
$200-$250 when I bought it. I know very little about bikes, but I do need it to get around school.
Anyway, I'd hate to have to buy a whole new bike, but paying nearly half the price to repair the
older one doesn't seem so great an idea. Could anyone tell me a good place to get the
wheel/tube/tire and chain part somewhere cheap online or anywhere else? Is this a job I could manage
myself with a few tools? Also, I noticed that on ebay, this particular model is currently going for
about $100-150. If I could get rid of the bike (sans rear wheel) for like $50, a new bike wouldn't
be such a bad idea. And advice is welcome thanks hiram

>I have a trek 830 a few years old. The rear wheel was unfortunately stolen so I took the bike into
>the local bike shop. They seemed pretty legit, though I was quoted approx $100 to replace the wheer
>wheel/tire/tube and the metal chain connector (don't know the offical name). >The bike was probably
>$200-$250 when I bought it. I know very little about bikes, but I do need it to get around school.

This unfortunately seems like it is a reasonable price. You need a new wheel, plus a tire and either
a freewheel and a cassette. You might find a cassette for $20, a wheel for $50 a tire for $10 and
tube for $3. Installing it all puts you up around $90.

Another option is to find a used wheel, maybe the bike shop has one they can sell you or maybe they
know someone who has a used wheel or two.

>Could anyone tell me a good place to get the wheel/tube/tire and chain part somewhere cheap online
>or anywhere else? Is this a job I could manage myself with a few tools?

By the time you including shipping it will probably eat up any savings you might realize by
purchasing on line.

Shipping is also an issue selling on Ebay.

So where are you located???

jon isaacs

[email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >I have a trek 830 a few years old. The rear wheel was unfortunately stolen so I took the bike
> >into the local bike shop. They seemed pretty legit, though I was quoted approx $100 to replace
> >the wheer wheel/tire/tube and the metal chain connector (don't know the offical name). >The bike
> >was probably $200-$250 when I bought it. I know very little about bikes, but I do need it to get
> >around school.
>
> This unfortunately seems like it is a reasonable price. You need a new wheel, plus a tire and
> either a freewheel and a cassette. You might find a cassette for $20, a wheel for $50 a tire for
> $10 and tube for $3. Installing it all puts you up around $90.
>
> Another option is to find a used wheel, maybe the bike shop has one they can sell you or maybe
> they know someone who has a used wheel or two.
>
> >Could anyone tell me a good place to get the wheel/tube/tire and chain part somewhere cheap
> >online or anywhere else? Is this a job I could manage myself with a few tools?
>
> By the time you including shipping it will probably eat up any savings you might realize by
> purchasing on line.
>
> Shipping is also an issue selling on Ebay.
>
> So where are you located???
In between Denver and Boulder, Colorado. Needless to say, there are a good amound of bikers in the
area. Anyone around here that thinks they could help or is looking to sell a bike, let me know.
> jon isaacs

Status
Not open for further replies.