Rear wheel replacement

toyojake

Dec 26, 2012
Hello everyone. Joined here to learn as I'm stating to get back into riding. Haven't ridden regularly in about 5 years and looking to change that. Just picked up a bike from a buddy who didn't want it, it has a bad rear hub. I've been told I can't just change out the rear hub and must change the whole wheel assembly. Having a little trouble locating the right one I need, and understanding how they are sized and measured. My bike is a 7 speed, 26" wheel with 26x2.0 stamped on the the tire. will the new wheel come with a new cassette, or do I need to transfer mine? any help locating a good parts place or any suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks!

Despite what you were told, if it is YOUR preference then you can simply change the hub ...

OR, you can simply have the bearings repacked with fresh grease ...

OR, if necessary, replace the bearings & pack the hub with fresh grease.

IF you can DIY (the necessary tools are few), then the cost is small.

Another option is to replace the hub -- you will need to slowly detension the spokes, remove the rim from the existing hub, unlace the old hub, relace the rim with the new hub & the existing spokes, tension, and then true the rear wheel.

The necessary knowledge to lace a wheel is freely available on the Internet ....

Only a modest amount of manual skill is required, but it will require some patience.

BTW. Wheels do NOT typically come with a Cassette-or-Freewheel.

alright, thanks Alfeng. I don't think I could get away with just packing the bearings. The pedals and chain move the hub freely, and the rear wheel doesn't move at all. I'm sure I could DIY the rear hub, as I've done it (on cars) many times. A replacement wheel assembly sounds like the easiest solution. Are there any specific measurements I could take from my old wheel to find a new one? also, is it difficult to remove the cassette? Thanks!

The current rim on your rear wheel may-or-may-not have a label on it which has the following information ...

• 559-17 ...
  • OR, 559-20 ...
  • OR, 559-22 ...
  • et cetera.

If you aren't changing the front wheel, too, and/or if you are planning on using Road SLICKS, then you will probably want a 559-17 rim -- having the same width rim is mostly for continuity.

The SECOND number in the sequence (i.e., '17') indicates the bead-to-bead distance in millimeters which you can measure by removing the tire & measuring the distance between the inward "hooking" portions of the rim.

• if you don't have the time to remove the tire at the moment then you can estimate the bead-to-bead distance by measuring outside distance between the rim's brake surfaces & then subtracting 6mm

Quote: Originally Posted by toyojake

The pedals and chain move the hub freely, and the rear wheel doesn't move at all.

BTW. I'm not sure how the chain & hub move the hub "freely" and the wheel doesn't move UNLESS what you are describing indicates that the pawls on the FREEWHEEL ([COLOR= rgb(128, 128, 128)]or, the rear hub's Freehub body[/COLOR]) are [COLOR= rgb(0, 128, 0)]¿[/COLOR]not[COLOR= rgb(0, 128, 0)]?[/COLOR] engaging due to being gummed-up ...

• since your bike is a 7-speed, there is actually a greater chance that the rear wheel has a Freewheel rather than a Cassette ...
  • and, you can EITHER replace the Freewheel with a new one OR (after removing the rear wheel from the bike) try seeping some 3-in-1 ("Household") or sewing machine oil in the seam between the part of the Freewheel which moves and the part which is stationary ... a heat gun or possibly a hair dryer may expedite the process ... heck, since we're presuming it is a 'bad' component, you can use a propane torch if you want
  • if oil-or-heat frees the pawls, then try to let more oil seep into the mechanism BUT plan on replacing the Freewheel sooner-rather-than-later ...

If the rear hub is a Shimano Freehub, then the Freehub body can be replaced ...

• you will need a 10mm Allen Wrench + a replacement Freehub body (of course) which can be bought separately OR cannibalized from another Shimano rear hub [in the past, you could buy a new Shimano ACERA rear hub for about $20 on eBay, so I presume that is still the approximate price ... a separate Freehub body will probably cost more] ...
  • the information for Freehub removal is on Sheldon Brown's website
  • to cannibalize another Shimano hub (again, if the current hub is a Shimano) for the Freehub body it is necessary for the hub to be laced to a rim otherwise you will not have enough leverage to counteract the force which you impart with the 10mm Allen Wrench (this is not as complicated as it may sound)

Quote: Originally Posted by toyojake

... is it difficult to remove the cassette?

Under normal conditions, it is not particularly difficult to remove a Freewheel OR Cassette ...

If is a Cassette then there will typically be a lockring for which you will want a splined Freewheel removal tool (the cost varies from $5 to $20) ...

A chain whip (or, an extra/old chain) will generally expedite the process, but is often not necessary ....

N.B. Some of the oldest Shimano Freehubs do not use a lockring and the Cassette's last cog is threaded on the Freehub to keep the rest of the Cassette's stack in place ...

• TWO chain whips are typically required to remove a threaded "last" cog (which will be VERY TIGHT since it has been torqued on from years of pedaling) ...

If the bike has a Freewheel, then you need a BRAND SPECIFIC, Freewheel removal tool (SunTour, ACS, and probably some others can use the same 2-prong tool ... Shimano + several others use a Freewheel-specfic splined tool) which will engage the stationary part of the Freewheel ...

• BTW. In the past, I have encountered a "dead" Freewheel (once) which I was not capable of removing regardless of the amount of leverage I was able to apply AND I subsequently resorted to using a hand grinder (!) to remove the rotating portion & then using a pipe wrench to remove the "core" from the hub while it was still warm -- kids, don't try this at home!

Ok, thanks. I had to go do some research to first understand the difference between freewheel and freehub. I'm not sure which of the two I have. I do know that its pretty old, ~1992.. and it does say "Shimano" on the gear selector by the back wheel. I'm going to tear it down this evening after work to see. Let me clarify that I understand correctly.. if a freewheel, your saying it could be gummed up, and lubrication might make it grab..as all of the ratcheting mechanisms are inside the freewheel itself?..then threaded onto the hub? and the freehub has all of the mechanisms inside and the bare cassette slips over the splined hub end? so if I'm correct here, the freehub contains all of the mechanisms, and is all in one sealed assembly, and the cassette is nothing more than assorted sprockets...and a freewheel is a "cassette" with all of the mechanisms inside of it, leaving the just the axle and bearings on the actual rim itself? Have I comprehended everything correctly?

also, to clarify what I meant by the wheel moving freely.. if I lift the bike off the ground and pedal, the chain and all of the sprockets move with the pedals but the wheel doesn't move. Nothing seems seized, as the wheel moves freely when spun by hand.

Yes. I would say that your understanding is correct ...

FWIW. This link should provide you 95+% of what you need to know regarding the differences between Freewheels & Cassettes:

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html​
Here is a picture from Sheldon Brown's website:

Once you have the rear wheel removed from the bike, you will be able to readily see whether you are dealing with a Freewheel or Cassette.

Originally Posted by toyojake .

also, to clarify what I meant by the wheel moving freely.. if I lift the bike off the ground and pedal, the chain and all of the sprockets move with the pedals but the wheel doesn't move. Nothing seems seized, as the wheel moves freely when spun by hand.
Your description continues to suggest 'to me' that the pawls are not engaging ...

• the pawls are akin to the escape mechanism in an old, mechanical watch

While the pawls could be worn out, it is more-than-likely that they are stuck in one position or the other due to oil which has varnished ... and, dissolving the varnish could un-stick the pawls and allow them to engage-and-release from the saw-toothed ring once again.

BTW. Some mechanisms only have ONE pawl, so if-and-when it goes, there is no internal backup and the Freewheel-or-Freehub will simply spin freely OR be "fixed" (locked-up ... less likely).