Rear Wheel Rubs Chainstay

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tony, May 18, 2003.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    When ascending a hill, jumping out of the saddle or starting in a mid to high gear my rear wheel
    pulls to the left side and rubs against the chainstay. LBS had no answer. The suggested a new Mavic
    quick release. Did nothing.

    Frame is an early 90's De Bernardi steel(no adjusting screws in the dropouts). Wheel is a MAVIC
    CXP33. Approx 2K miles. Hub is Shimano 105SC (early 90's) 3-4K miles.

    Problem was sporadic on the flats over the past few years. Moved to a hilly area, now problem
    is constant.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks, Tony

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > When ascending a hill, jumping out of the saddle or starting in a mid to high gear my rear wheel
    > pulls to the left side and rubs against the chainstay. LBS had no answer. The suggested a new
    > Mavic quick release. Did nothing.
    >
    > Frame is an early 90's De Bernardi steel(no adjusting screws in the dropouts). Wheel is a MAVIC
    > CXP33. Approx 2K miles. Hub is Shimano 105SC (early 90's) 3-4K miles.
    >
    > Problem was sporadic on the flats over the past few years. Moved to a hilly area, now problem is
    > constant.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Mavic skewers are known for inadequate clamping. Try a Campagnolo one ( lubricate the cam!) or even
    a Shimano for better retention.

  3. Russell Yim

    Russell Yim Guest

    I assume you are using the QR properly, so the most likely possibility is that the axle is too long
    on one side, and is sticking out beyond the face of the dropout. Was the hub ever overhauled? The
    axle may have been reassembled less than satisfactorily.

    Install the wheel into the frame without the QR, and look to see if the axle extends beyond either
    dropout face. If it does, readjust the hub so the axle is centered over the locknuts and the same
    amount of axle protrudes on both sides, or, if necessary, grind the offending side down.

  4. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Thanks for the responses. Yes, I just overhauled the hub. The reassemble was fine. Plus, this was
    happening before the overhaul. I too suspected the axle was the culprit so I was careful to make
    sure the axle was centered properly. I returned the Mavic QR. I hope to get back my Shimano QR. One
    thing I was told today also seems to make sense. The older DeBernardi frames where totally chromed
    before they where painted. Not only does that make the paint fragile but now that the chrome is
    exposed in the dropouts it may also may allow the wheel to move once under torque. I am going to try
    to either scuff up the chrome surface in the dropouts or remove it completely.

    Thanks again for the responses. Tony