Rear Wheel Rubs Chainstay

Status

Tony

Guest
When ascending a hill, jumping out of the saddle or starting in a mid to high gear my rear wheel
pulls to the left side and rubs against the chainstay. LBS had no answer. The suggested a new Mavic
quick release. Did nothing.

Frame is an early 90's De Bernardi steel(no adjusting screws in the dropouts). Wheel is a MAVIC
CXP33. Approx 2K miles. Hub is Shimano 105SC (early 90's) 3-4K miles.

Problem was sporadic on the flats over the past few years. Moved to a hilly area, now problem
is constant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tony

A Muzi

Guest
"Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> When ascending a hill, jumping out of the saddle or starting in a mid to high gear my rear wheel
> pulls to the left side and rubs against the chainstay. LBS had no answer. The suggested a new
> Mavic quick release. Did nothing.
>
> Frame is an early 90's De Bernardi steel(no adjusting screws in the dropouts). Wheel is a MAVIC
> CXP33. Approx 2K miles. Hub is Shimano 105SC (early 90's) 3-4K miles.
>
> Problem was sporadic on the flats over the past few years. Moved to a hilly area, now problem is
> constant.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mavic skewers are known for inadequate clamping. Try a Campagnolo one ( lubricate the cam!) or even
a Shimano for better retention.

Russell Yim

Guest
I assume you are using the QR properly, so the most likely possibility is that the axle is too long
on one side, and is sticking out beyond the face of the dropout. Was the hub ever overhauled? The
axle may have been reassembled less than satisfactorily.

Install the wheel into the frame without the QR, and look to see if the axle extends beyond either
dropout face. If it does, readjust the hub so the axle is centered over the locknuts and the same
amount of axle protrudes on both sides, or, if necessary, grind the offending side down.

Tony

Guest
Thanks for the responses. Yes, I just overhauled the hub. The reassemble was fine. Plus, this was
happening before the overhaul. I too suspected the axle was the culprit so I was careful to make
sure the axle was centered properly. I returned the Mavic QR. I hope to get back my Shimano QR. One
thing I was told today also seems to make sense. The older DeBernardi frames where totally chromed
before they where painted. Not only does that make the paint fragile but now that the chrome is
exposed in the dropouts it may also may allow the wheel to move once under torque. I am going to try
to either scuff up the chrome surface in the dropouts or remove it completely.

Thanks again for the responses. Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.