Rear wheel troubles, Reason?

jordon198

Jul 29, 2003
I have a Trek 1000 with the Alex AT 450 wheels, and in the last 100 miles I have broken a rear spoke, and today as I was riding the rear wheel started to rub against the bike frame. It doesn't look like the wheel is out of round, but it must be. ( I guess )
If you rotate the wheel it goes about half a rotation then veers over to the right and starts to rub.

Is this unusual, and could the two be related? When I started to ride, I weighed 243, now down to 208, could it be I'm too fat for the wheels? I haven't hit any major bumps, just normal riding.

i've had the same sort of problem with Alex rims

Mine were ok for a while but a couple of months ago i got them retrued and then every ride after that i was fixing 4-6 REALLY loose spokes on the rear.

do yourself a favour and ditch the heavy, **** alex rims and buy a decent set of wheels, i'd recommend any of the campag wheels (they can be made shimano compatible easily)

I replaced my old wheels with campag protons and they are heaps lighter ad nicer to ride on

Originally posted by Duckwah
i've had the same sort of problem with Alex rims

Mine were ok for a while but a couple of months ago i got them retrued and then every ride after that i was fixing 4-6 REALLY loose spokes on the rear.

do yourself a favour and ditch the heavy, **** alex rims and buy a decent set of wheels, i'd recommend any of the campag wheels (they can be made shimano compatible easily)

I replaced my old wheels with campag protons and they are heaps lighter ad nicer to ride on
A poorly built wheel is just ****,even if assembled with the best components by a hack. Spokes will break and it will not say in true.

Alex AT 450 wheels, and in the last 100 miles I have broken a rear spoke, and today as I was riding the rear wheel started to rub against the bike frame. It doesn't look like the wheel is out of round, but it must be. ( I guess )
If you rotate the wheel it goes about half a rotation then veers over to the right and starts to rub.

Is this unusual, and could the two be related? When I started to ride, I weighed 243, now down to 208, could it be I'm too fat for the wheels? I haven't hit any major bumps, just normal riding. [/QUOTE]

Is the spoke still missing?
Even if it was replaced, and if the replacement wan't done correctly, you will have the wobble you describe.
I sugest you bring back to the shop where you had the work done and/where you bought the bicycle and ask what their remedy is,,, and what it will cost to have it done right.
There may be a more appropriate rim/wheel for you, but the issue is more likely a quality of build issue.
Spoke alignment, proper & even tensioning, and stress relieving all make a difference.
I suggest you visit Sheldon Brown's site and read his fine article on wheel building to get a better understanding of a quality build.
The URL:
http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
How many miles total do you have on the wheel in question?

Thanks for the good information. The wheel has 700 miles on it, and after I took it to the shop today they found one of the spokes broken at the hub. The last one broke at the rim, and I guess I didn't really look at it enough to see the one broken at the hub.

I guess I'm reaping the benifits of buying the cheapest bike. When I get faster ( and lighter ) a 2300, or 5200 will be in the cards.