Rear wheel wobble (hub, not bent rim)

Meek One

May 5, 2004
Rode my dads mountain bike and noticed the back wheel (at the hub not bent rim)was wobbling badly. Skewer was tight but hub had A LOT of lateral play in it. Time for new hub or is there a simple fix? Thanks.

What kind of hub is it? If it has cartridge bearings, they probably have to be replaced. Otherwise the solution could range from just tightening the cones to a full bearing overhaul.

artmichalek said:
What kind of hub is it? If it has cartridge bearings, they probably have to be replaced. Otherwise the solution could range from just tightening the cones to a full bearing overhaul.

Early 90's Suntour XC PRO.

Meek One said:
Rode my dads mountain bike and noticed the back wheel (at the hub not bent rim)was wobbling badly. Skewer was tight but hub had A LOT of lateral play in it. Time for new hub or is there a simple fix? Thanks.

Could be a bent or broken axle. Best to take the wheel out of the frame and take a closer look.

John M said:
Could be a bent or broken axle. Best to take the wheel out of the frame and take a closer look.

Took off the wheel and removed skewer. Now what (I love learning stuff like this :) )?

Thanks.

It's about time for me to learn some more in depth bicycle maintenance.

the cones could have come loose but, if its been like that a while and ridden, the cones / bearings are likely shot and need replacing

not sure about parts for Suntour stuff