Reason for metallic strips on soles of Shimano road shoes?

Kovie

Guest
I just bought a pair of Shimano R-151 road shoes and noticed a series of
parallel metallic strips on their soles, on either side of the back screw
holes, and in front of the front screw hole. I assume these are visual aids
in positioning cleats. But why metallic? Is this just to make them more
visible, or do they interact with some sort of cleat positioning device that
uses magnetic sensors?

--
Kovie
[email protected]zen

Kovie wrote:
> I just bought a pair of Shimano R-151 road shoes and noticed a series of
> parallel metallic strips on their soles, on either side of the back screw
> holes, and in front of the front screw hole. I assume these are visual aids
> in positioning cleats. But why metallic? Is this just to make them more
> visible, or do they interact with some sort of cleat positioning device that
> uses magnetic sensors?
>
> --
> Kovie
> [email protected]zen

Are you sure they're metallic? My Nikes have similar marks and look
metallic, but they're just stickers.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kovie wrote:
>> I just bought a pair of Shimano R-151 road shoes and noticed a series of
>> parallel metallic strips on their soles, on either side of the back screw
>> holes, and in front of the front screw hole. I assume these are visual
>> aids
>> in positioning cleats. But why metallic? Is this just to make them more
>> visible, or do they interact with some sort of cleat positioning device
>> that
>> uses magnetic sensors?
>>
>> --
>> Kovie
>> [email protected]zen

> Are you sure they're metallic? My Nikes have similar marks and look
> metallic, but they're just stickers.

No simple way to tell, which is why I referred to them as metallic, which is
just a color, and not metal. If Nike uses the same kind of strips, then
maybe it's just a style thing.

--
Kovie
[email protected]zen