reasonable priced walking boots

Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the wonderful person
RJ Webb <[email protected]> said

>>But it's a ***** when you get to some point on the route and realize you
>>are 'under-shod'. I always look at what I think I'll need, and then go
>>up one grade. In June/July you could have gone anywhere in Shropshire in
>>regular trainers most days .. after the recent rains, waterproof boots
>>are needed on half the B-roads.

>And a snorkel on the other half..

LOL. Luckily I wasn't drinking at the time. Actually the B-roads are not
that bad, but there are bits of the so-called 'Shropshire Way' where you
have to fight upstream against a serious torrent.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

"S Gibber" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Anyone recommend a decent pair of first timer walking boots and/or decent
> online retailer that does them, i will try them on first at high street shop
> before buying online;-)
>
> TIA
>
> Steve

CCC outdoors have some 3 season Zamberlan boots at half price although
they don't have a waterproof liner.

I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from Peter
Clinch contained the following:

>I don't, because I don't like overcooking and overworking my feet in
>overwrought footwear, and I find it's very unlikely to lead to really
>major problems. In summer I'll do most things in sandals, making
>exceptions for big scree run descents and scrambling which might involve
>foot jams. I've done the Aonach Eagach in Tevas and didn't have any
>trouble, I think most people tend to oversetimate the footwear they need
>(ever seen anyone in heavy boots in a country park? I certainly have).

Being a walking newbie, I hesitated a couple of times before putting on
my boots on a recent walking holiday in Cornwall wondering if my lighter
Merrell trainers or sandals might be better. And on both occasions I
came across terrain where I was glad I wore the boots. On one walk the
path had collapsed onto a very rocky beach and I was very glad of the
extra support.

A twisted or broken ankle several miles from anywhere with no signal on
the moby? No thanks.
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:27:12 +0100, Geoff Berrow wrote:

>Being a walking newbie, I hesitated a couple of times before putting on
>my boots on a recent walking holiday in Cornwall wondering if my lighter
>Merrell trainers or sandals might be better. And on both occasions I
>came across terrain where I was glad I wore the boots. On one walk the
>path had collapsed onto a very rocky beach and I was very glad of the
>extra support.
>
>A twisted or broken ankle several miles from anywhere with no signal on
>the moby? No thanks.

I find I take more care in foot placement when wearing sandals or
other light footwear. The only time I have twisted my anke was when I
was wearing boots. End of the day I was tired and misplaced a foot and
went over on it. Hobbled off the hill but couldn't make it to the pub
that evening almost couldn't drive the next day :-(

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:27:12 +0100, Geoff Berrow <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Being a walking newbie, I hesitated a couple of times before putting on
>my boots on a recent walking holiday in Cornwall wondering if my lighter
>Merrell trainers or sandals might be better. And on both occasions I
>came across terrain where I was glad I wore the boots.

I think that experienced folk in general tend not to realise that they
have developed balance skills along the way and hence can cope on
"more difficult" ground with lesser footware.

If you want an extreme example to prove this just look at n00b
climbers versus experienced hands; ask them each to stand in-balance
on a slope (not necessarily a rock face ;-) and the experenced person
will cope without batting an eyelid, the less-experienced person will
take a little longer to get comfortable.

My thoughts re. the walking, take it easy at first and go with what
you're most comfortable with... but keep an eye open for the chance to
take things on a stage; one of the the worst attitudes is one that
says "it has to be done this way" (usually regaling you to outfit
yourself like a main battle tank to walk anywhere).

SteveO

NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
from SteveO contained the following:

>My thoughts re. the walking, take it easy at first and go with what
>you're most comfortable with... but keep an eye open for the chance to
>take things on a stage; one of the the worst attitudes is one that
>says "it has to be done this way" (usually regaling you to outfit
>yourself like a main battle tank to walk anywhere).

Well financial considerations prevent that LOL.

My aims in starting walking were, a, to get out more in an activity I
could share with my border collie, b, to enjoy the countryside, and c,
to improve my fitness. Not really into 'challenges'.

I bought a pair of Trezeta Gore tex boots and some Bridgedale socks.
The boots fit fine but I should probably have gone for a size bigger.
Did about 8 miles with ordinary sports socks with no bother but got a
blister on my second toe some weeks later using the Bridgedales. I
think the tension had increased in the lacing tightening the lower part
and causing the seam of the sock to rub my toe. I find them much more
comfortable inside out LOL.

Later, for general walking in the park with the dog (on footpaths) I
bought the Merrell trainers. I got some excellent advice from the guy
in Blacks who spent about an hour with me explaining the ins and outs.
I really learned a lot. The Merrells are great and I use them for
everyday wear but they are hopeless in rain or wet grass. Both pairs
cost about £60 I think.

I wasn't convinced about sandals and got a cheapish pair from Millets.
Without socks they gave me a blister on my heel. What's the feeling
about sandals and socks?

I also bought a pair of Peter Storm zip offs (which I love) and a light
breathable waterproof jacket for 25 quid each.

I bought a Karrimor day sack which I used on my holiday in Cornwall
recently. I included a small first aid kit which I got from Tesco. I
had to buy a small pair of scissors to go with it. My swiss army knife
went in too. I bought maps of the area I was visiting and a folding map
case that included a compass and distance measurer.(£10) The compass is
fine but the case is impractical. However, since I intended following
circular walks with directions I only wanted the maps for emergencies
(ie, if I got lost) and knew that for the most part they would be packed
away. I think I'll get one of the more conventional ones later. A
whistle was cheap so I got one of those. Stopped short of buying a
survival bag. I used the pack to hold my jacket, lunch for me and the
boy, a small dog bowl, **** scoop bags etc. I took water for him at
first but he usually fends for himself (streams, puddles...).

The jacket and trousers are great. I'm sure you could pay a lot more
but they worked just fine for me. I think I need a new rucksack,
ideally one with a better back system ( I got very sweaty) and 'D' rings
at the from to hold binos and extending dog lead when not in use.

So I haven't spent /too/ much and I've learned a lot and had fun.

I think I will have to enlarge the map section I need if I am to walk
following a map, I find the detail too small. Must investigate if they
are available digitally.

--

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:09:07 +0100, Geoff Berrow wrote:

>I bought a pair of Trezeta Gore tex boots and some Bridgedale socks.
>The boots fit fine but I should probably have gone for a size bigger.

Hmmm... Remember to go shopping for boots in the afternoon, preferably
after a morning on your feet.

>Did about 8 miles with ordinary sports socks with no bother but got a
>blister on my second toe some weeks later using the Bridgedales. I
>think the tension had increased in the lacing tightening the lower part
>and causing the seam of the sock to rub my toe. I find them much more
>comfortable inside out LOL.

If your boots are a little on the small size you will have to get by
with thinner socks.

>Later, for general walking in the park with the dog (on footpaths) I
>bought the Merrell trainers. I got some excellent advice from the guy
>in Blacks who spent about an hour with me explaining the ins and outs.
>I really learned a lot. The Merrells are great and I use them for
>everyday wear but they are hopeless in rain or wet grass. Both pairs
>cost about £60 I think.
>
>I wasn't convinced about sandals and got a cheapish pair from Millets.
>Without socks they gave me a blister on my heel. What's the feeling
>about sandals and socks?

Send for the style police! Wearing socks with sandals negates one
great advantage - the quick drying ability of human skin.

New footwear always causes blisters with me. remember to make short
trips in new kit. Breaking in is as much about giving your body time
to harden up as it is about softening new gear.

>So I haven't spent /too/ much and I've learned a lot and had fun.

Good, keep putting one foot in front of the other.

>I think I will have to enlarge the map section I need if I am to walk
>following a map, I find the detail too small. Must investigate if they
>are available digitally.

They are and you can usually print them out overscale to make them
easier to read.

GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:

> Keeping the water/mud off socks. For some reason I don't dry out as fast
> as you claim to, not even if I am barefoot.

I go sockless in sandals, they dry out pretty fast IME, but wet feet
isn't really a problem as long as they're basically comfy (or it would
be a terrible chore having a shower!).

> between toes. Walking in wellies isf the pits, IMO ..

There's wellies, and there's wellies. Bear in mind that farmers and
gamekeepers typically spend days walking around in the things in mud and
it is soon evident that there's nothing intrinsically wrong with them
/if/ you have a good pair.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK