reassembly of bontrager select front hub

Max Phillips

May 9, 2006
wheel is off of an 05 trek 5000, bontrager select wheelset

after a halloween party i managed to get some cobweb material into the front hub, took it apart to pull out the cobwebs (literally) and now i can't get it back together without it either having alot of side to side play or refusing to turn altogether. i think i have the assembly order of the pieces, but i'm not sure about how tight things should be (the end nut and adjust cone for one)

any help would be appreciated

Max Phillips said:

after a halloween party i managed to get some cobweb material into the front hub, took it apart to pull out the cobwebs (literally) and now i can't get it back together without it either having alot of side to side play or refusing to turn altogether. i think i have the assembly order of the pieces, but i'm not sure about how tight things should be (the end nut and adjust cone for one)/QUOTE]

Do you have the right size cone wrench? It's a special skinny wrench to hold onto the cone while you tighten the lock nut against it. Without the cone wrench you're pretty much screwed.

Retro Grouch said:
Max Phillips said:

after a halloween party i managed to get some cobweb material into the front hub, took it apart to pull out the cobwebs (literally) and now i can't get it back together without it either having alot of side to side play or refusing to turn altogether. i think i have the assembly order of the pieces, but i'm not sure about how tight things should be (the end nut and adjust cone for one)/QUOTE]

Do you have the right size cone wrench? It's a special skinny wrench to hold onto the cone while you tighten the lock nut against it. Without the cone wrench you're pretty much screwed.
yeah i've got all the tools, i just don't know if the cone should be tightened into the hub or if it should have a bit of play. it seemed like whenever i tightened the cone down onto the hub on either side it kept the wheel from spinning, but when i left it some slack and tightened it against the lock nut there was some play in the wheel

Max Phillips said:
yeah i've got all the tools, i just don't know if the cone should be tightened into the hub or if it should have a bit of play. it seemed like whenever i tightened the cone down onto the hub on either side it kept the wheel from spinning, but when i left it some slack and tightened it against the lock nut there was some play in the wheel
Well, that's the art of adjusting hubs. You should adjust the cone until there is just a "tick" of end play in the axle. Tightening the hub in the dropouts with the quick release will take out that tiny bit of end play and allow the wheel to still rotate freely. Often it takes even experienced bike mechanics a few tries to get it exactly right.