Rebellin positive !!



limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
Rebellin's reputation is gone as a result of this.

His superlative week at the Classics in 2004 must now be in doubt as a result of this scandal as is his silver at the Olympics.

Huge story.
 

whiteboytrash

New Member
Mar 9, 2005
5,402
0
0
limerickman said:
Rebellin's reputation is gone as a result of this.

His superlative week at the Classics in 2004 must now be in doubt as a result of this scandal as is his silver at the Olympics.

Huge story.

There are rumors of Canc testing positive. As one cyclist tested positive twice which could only mean him ??
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
whiteboytrash said:
There are rumors of Canc testing positive. As one cyclist tested positive twice which could only mean him ??

If Canc is in trouble, then we might as well close down this sport.

Rebellin and possibly now Canc!

Another black day, in the long list of black days with this sport.


An amnesty needs to be called in this sport.
 

tonyzackery

Well-Known Member
Dec 23, 2006
3,517
80
0
56
limerickman said:
If Canc is in trouble, then we might as well close down this sport.

Rebellin and possibly now Canc!

Another black day, in the long list of black days with this sport.


An amnesty needs to be called in this sport.
"An amnesty" from what? Dogged aggressiveness WRT ferreting out dopers? I say this is utterly brilliant! Pro cycling just may garner my interest again if this (popping the stars) continues.

Pro cycling needs an enema.
Then start fresh - I'm certain there are thousands of pro caliber clean racers that would love to take their rightful place in the peloton once the wheat is separated from the chaff...
 

Leafer

New Member
Apr 11, 2006
317
0
0
whiteboytrash said:
There are rumors of Canc testing positive. As one cyclist tested positive twice which could only mean him ??
There's quite a few others in addition to Canc who rode both the road race and the TT, if that's what you mean - Evans, Leiphiemer, Menchov, Contador, Gesink, among several others. And there's quite a few other sports where athletes competed in more than one event, of course - which is to say, doesn't mean that the multiple positive had to be a pro roadie.

But as it's CERA, frankly I wouldn't be surprised if all 6 were cyclists.

EDIT: Alright, I take that last bit back - only two cyclists involved, one of whom is Rebellin.
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
tonyzackery said:
"An amnesty" from what? Dogged aggressiveness WRT ferreting out dopers? I say this is utterly brilliant! Pro cycling just may garner my interest again if this (popping the stars) continues.

Pro cycling needs an enema.
Then start fresh - I'm certain there are thousands of pro caliber clean racers that would love to take their rightful place in the peloton once the wheat is separated from the chaff...

I hear what you're saying Tony.

But the entire, entire top echelon of the professional scene since 1998 has now been shown to have doped or have been found to have participated in a doping support mechanism.
Exceptions in the upper echelon being Cadel Evans, Carlos Sastre, perhaps.
Every other major winner/contender has been busted since 1998.

What do we do? Ban them all?
Could the sport survive with a wholesale ban of every rider?
 

adamastor

New Member
Jun 3, 2007
272
0
0
Knowing how "cool and relaxed" Andy schleck talks usually before and after a race, I did question his passive comment concerning the final metres of Fleche wallonne:
"Today, Rebellin was simply untouchable!" It didn't sound right in the mouth of a new champion, at the top of his art last week...Starting now to make sense.

What worries me is more the coolness of riders like andy and frank schleck...watch in the next days how they react, if rebellin is really caught. If I were Andy, and I were clean, I would comment by saying "Rebellin is a cheat, he stole my victory in fleche wallonne", but reckon he will shut his mouth.
 

Eldrack

New Member
Jan 10, 2005
1,353
2
0
limerickman said:
I hear what you're saying Tony.

But the entire, entire top echelon of the professional scene since 1998 has now been shown to have doped or have been found to have participated in a doping support mechanism.
Exceptions in the upper echelon being Cadel Evans, Carlos Sastre, perhaps.
Every other major winner/contender has been busted since 1998.

What do we do? Ban them all?
Could the sport survive with a wholesale ban of every rider?
Looks like we have proof that doping or some form of cheating has been pervasive in pretty much every era of cycling history. I wouldn't be so sure about Sastre being clean either. Evans, maybe.

I think an amnesty could work. Draw a line and say that before this date that's it, it's tarnished and we aren't going to try and clean it. After this date everything will be held for retroactive testing and up the sentences for being caught, prize money has to be repayed etc etc.
 

slovakguy

Well-Known Member
Mar 17, 2006
1,898
66
0
retroactive testing precluded? the riders have been tight-lipped about everything. even when they get tacked down beyond doubt, they have been maintaining their innocence, citing nefarious conspiracies, or ignorance at how a substance could possibly have been introduced to their bodies. screw amnesty. retro-test the giro, retro-test the vuelta, and explain how the bio-passport has yet to even point to any rider as a possible doper. either open pandora's doping box completely or start making a doping positive a career changing event.
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
I think the retro amnesty could work.

Give all current riders a deadline to confess.

For example "OK lads, come out with your hands up, confess all doping, sign a declaration that if you're caught after the amnesty, that all prize money earned will be repaid in full, and your record will be deleted fom the books and you will be banned for life. Amnesty ends at 31/5/2009"

And if anyone does not avail of the amnesty by 31/5/09 and is found to have doped after the amnesty ends, those riders will have to repay all prize money, have their records deleted and be banned for life.

I think something along these lines, if enforced, may work.

Just an idea.
 

azdroptop

New Member
May 25, 2005
871
0
0
Or, let them dope. It's never going to be clean not with advancing technology and the cost to test them all.
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
azdroptop said:
Or, let them dope. It's never going to be clean not with advancing technology and the cost to test them all.

That is the other alternative, azd.

And even though I disagree with this alternative in principle - that alternative may be the most feasible option.
 

Andrija

Member
Feb 16, 2005
1,654
10
0
Leafer said:
There's quite a few others in addition to Canc who rode both the road race and the TT, if that's what you mean - Evans, Leiphiemer, Menchov, Contador, Gesink, among several others. And there's quite a few other sports where athletes competed in more than one event, of course - which is to say, doesn't mean that the multiple positive had to be a pro roadie.
There's pattern for testing, a rule by which athletes are chosen for testing. Winner, one of the two remaining from the podium, one more from the first five and another one from first ten (I think) and certain number of riders placed lower than tenth, also there's discreet right to test anyone who's suspicious. All these you're mentioning rode both races, but possibility of Cancellara being tested twice is greatest.
And just to give a comment on Lim's disappointment. I understand it but can't believe anyone thought Canc was clean. I support this kind of actions, 'cause if you want to get rid of cheaters you hit the biggest, that's the right message.
 

azdroptop

New Member
May 25, 2005
871
0
0
I don't like it much either, but we've supposedly tried to clean up sports here in the U.S. and we all know they're not clean. Normal humans don't run a 4.3 40 at 260 pounds. :) Just like normal humans can't race for 3 weeks straight across huge mountain passes and perform like our cycling heros do. I climb my local 26 mile high mountain and I'm toast for 3 or 4 days! :) granted I'm a 40 year old lowly cat 4 racer who only trains 12 to 16 hours a week.
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
azdroptop said:
I don't like it much either, but we've supposedly tried to clean up sports here in the U.S. and we all know they're not clean. Normal humans don't run a 4.3 40 at 260 pounds. :) Just like normal humans can't race for 3 weeks straight across huge mountain passes and perform like our cycling heros do. I climb my local 26 mile high mountain and I'm toast for 3 or 4 days! :) granted I'm a 40 year old lowly cat 4 racer who only trains 12 to 16 hours a week.

I'm in the same boat, after a tough spin I'm tired.
But that's normal.

It's when you watch these guys climbing and climbing and climbing, without opening their mouth or breaking a sweat, they don't look like they're even trying!

(having said that I could eat a bucket of EPO, steroids, and whatever else.........and I'd still be a watercarrier!)
 

DV1976

New Member
Sep 29, 2004
419
0
0
According to AP out the six positives there were only two medallists, one from cycling and one from track and field. So that rules out Canc since he was a medallist as well.
 

tonyzackery

Well-Known Member
Dec 23, 2006
3,517
80
0
56
azdroptop said:
I don't like it much either, but we've supposedly tried to clean up sports here in the U.S. and we all know they're not clean. Normal humans don't run a 4.3 40 at 260 pounds. :) Just like normal humans can't race for 3 weeks straight across huge mountain passes and perform like our cycling heros do. I climb my local 26 mile high mountain and I'm toast for 3 or 4 days! :) granted I'm a 40 year old lowly cat 4 racer who only trains 12 to 16 hours a week.
Careful with that implication...you're speaking to someone with inside knowledge.

I personally know, with pretty good (not absolute, of course) certainty, there are normal humans (by your definition) that are 260 and run the 40 in 4.3. Just as I know many normal humans that are 250+ and have vertical leaps in the 40" range. These guys are not "normal" humans by any sense of the athletic definition, but are "normal" in every other sense...
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
DV1976 said:
According to AP out the six positives there were only two medallists, one from cycling and one from track and field. So that rules out Canc since he was a medallist as well.

Thanks for that update, DV.

So for the moment, it looks like only (only !) Rebellin is in trouble.
 

Similar threads