Rebike

Strada.45

New Member
Jul 21, 2003
Just picked up a like new Rebike Performance 18 from a shop in the St. Pete area. It is in great condition and rides perfect for my father who is currently on a 1953 Schwinn. We just want to make the rebike available for him to ride when he comes to visit. I did some test rides and although it feels heavy we really don't have any hills bigger than an overpass or speed bump. Anyway, it shifts great and rides smooth. I'm going to upgrade the tires immediately from the 40 PSI cheepo's to some 75 - 90 psi Schwalbes with kevlar belts and some slime tubes. There was some sort of homemade kickstand on it but when engaged the bike was at a severe lean and I feared a small breeze would topple it - it has been removed. Anybody make a kickstand for this thing? The chainstays are square but the dropouts are flat. I guess I could just look through the Hostell Shoppe catalog but I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had any experience with the Rebike.

Originally posted by Strada.45
I guess I could just look through the Hostell Shoppe catalog but I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had any experience with the Rebike.

Some guy named Ed Wong has extensive use with Rebikes. He posts here I think. He also posts to BROL.

Strada.45 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Just picked up a like new Rebike Performance 18 from a shop in the St. Pete area. It is in great
> condition and rides perfect for my father who is currently on a 1953 Schwinn. We just want to make
> the rebike available for him to ride when he comes to visit. I did some test rides and although it
> feels heavy we really don't have any hills bigger than an overpass or speed bump. Anyway, it
> shifts great and rides smooth. I'm going to upgrade the tires immediately from the 40 PSI cheepo's
> to some 75 - 90 psi Schwalbes with kevlar belts and some slime tubes. There was some sort of
> homemade kickstand on it but when engaged the bike was at a severe lean and I feared a small
> breeze would topple it - it has been removed. Anybody make a kickstand for this thing? The
> chainstays are square but the dropouts are flat. I guess I could just look through the Hostell
> Shoppe catalog but I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had any experience with the Rebike.

I have a Performance that's in very good condition. Believe it or not, I traded a nearly new BikeE
CT for it. It is very comfortable and my body has long adapted to the heft of the bike. I can go up
steep overpasses on my large chainring, 2 or 3rd gear. If I want to take it easy, I use the middle
chainring 3rd gear or so. The only issue I have is the spokes on the rear wheel keep breaking. It is
not the original wheel but it is similiar made of steel instead of aluminum alloy. I will upgrade
the wheels to alloy. I'm certain it will make a noticable difference.

My bike has the original kickstand which works rather well. It bolts directly to the axle and is
steadied by a screw which goes through the kickstand plate and the dropout. You might be able to
find an aftermarket unit that'll mount the same way.

About 10 months ago, I upgraded the tires to Kenda Kwests HP. What a difference! I did a ride with a
buddy of mine who had gotten a new Tour Easy and he was most surprised that I had no trouble keeping
up with him. It is a worthy upgrade.

All in all, the ReBike works for me even on long distance rides and it is the most comfortable even
after 50 miles:)

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Hey I live here too ya know and have had 2 ReBikes (so far) and am thinking about starting a
collection. One of the best bents ever made...apart from the weight, brakes, tires, gears and
flaking enamel. Am thinking of using them as the ideal platform for an E-Bike.