reblochon cheese

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Janet, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Janet

    Janet Guest

    Is this the traditional cheese used for Tartiflette. Can it be substituted if I cant find it

    Tags:

  2. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "Janet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is this the traditional cheese used for Tartiflette. Can it be substituted if I cant find it

    Reblochon is traditional but in "Taste" David Rosengarten, noting that Reblochon can be difficult to
    find in the US, says "I've played around with cheeses that are available in the US and discovered
    that any fairly smelly cheese will give you a good tartiflette facsimile. Look especially for the
    washed rind cheese of France(but don't use the rind): Livarot, Muenster, Epoisses. In my tests a
    combination of cheeses used came the closest to the Reblochon taste: 1 firmly packed cup of rindless
    Livarot mixed with 1/2 firmly packed cup of the English cheese Wynendale (again no rind)."

    I'm not at all sure that the cheeses he mentions are any more common than Reblochon, and you might
    consider ordering this from an on-line source if you can't get it locally.

  3. Jlove98905

    Jlove98905 Guest