Rebuild Cosmic Elite rear wheel

Scooby Snax

Oct 6, 2003
Hey all,
I have a Cosmic Elite rear wheel with a broken rim.
I've been advised that it can be rebuilt by one shop, and that they reccommend replacing the freehub so I can use a 10spd Cassette.

The question I have is, Isnt the 8, 9 & 10spd cassette width all the same?
I want to swap the Cosmic's out with the Easton Vista's that are on my Cervelo. which is 10 speed.

Are they trying to hose me for a freehub body, or am I being parinoid?

Scooby Snax said:
I've been advised that it can be rebuilt by one shop, and that they reccommend replacing the freehub so I can use a 10spd Cassette.

The question I have is, Isnt the 8, 9 & 10spd cassette width all the same?
I want to swap the Cosmic's out with the Easton Vista's that are on my Cervelo. which is 10 speed.

Are they trying to hose me for a freehub body, or am I being parinoid?
I presume you're running Shimano, and if that's the case, then yes you can use the existing 8/9/10 freehub for 10s.

Although the 10s specific freehubs are different, there's no need to swap it if you have an existing 8/9/10. The spline depths are different, and the 10s specfiic ones (obviously) only fit the 10s splines.

Sounds like the shop is trying to sell you something you don't need.

n

nerdag said:
I presume you're running Shimano, and if that's the case, then yes you can use the existing 8/9/10 freehub for 10s.

Although the 10s specific freehubs are different, there's no need to swap it if you have an existing 8/9/10. The spline depths are different, and the 10s specfiic ones (obviously) only fit the 10s splines.

Sounds like the shop is trying to sell you something you don't need.

n

Thanks, I just needed to know.

Scoob