Rebuilding a very old bike - crazy?

"Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Gee Buck, it was not the main point of the post, so I guess I didn't give it any thought. I do
> > it without thinking, so on my next ride, I'll try to remember to check if I am mostly on my toes
> > or flat footed with the bike leaned over. I do know that I do lean to the left, I can't flat
> > foot it with the bike straight up.
>
> You are right, it wasn't the main point of the post, but it is something you should consider. It
> is possible that your seat position is not optimal and you might be going down the road to knee
> problems. As a person who has knee problems (chondromalacia), I have learned that seat position is
> critical to their health. Properly positioning the saddle precludes the ability to touch the
> ground while sitting on that saddle. If you can do this, it is very likely that your saddle
> position is wrong. If you are feeling pain in your knee, something you didn't mention but I
> wouldn't be surprised to hear, you should reconsider your saddle height.

> -Buck

Hi, I didn't mention any knee pain because I don't have any. What you said about saddle height got
me thinking, so I did some rereading of Sheldon's article and one other. Today, went I took the bike
out, I paid attention to my technique[?].First of all, let me ask you something, while riding, out
of the pedals, when I put my heel on the pedal, my leg is fully extended. Obviously, fully extended,
no knee bend, when the pedal is at its lowest point. Now do you still think that my saddle is out of
the acceptable range of proper height?
>> Properly positioning the saddle precludes the ability to touch
> the ground while sitting on that saddle. <<
If you answered no to my above question, then you will have to rethink the above statement. Yes, I
am on my toes and the bike is leaning, a bit to the left, but from that position, I start out,
without leaving the saddle, so the bike can't be leaning all that much. I'm pretty sure that if
you were to compare the bottom bracket's position to the ground, you would find it much lower than
most modern bikes. Somewhere Sheldon mentions this, possibly in the article on French bikes. Take
care, Jeff

On 19 May 2003 13:07:59 -0700, [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote:

>Hi, I didn't mention any knee pain because I don't have any.

Sounds to me as if - begging your pardon - at least one of your knees is immune to chondromalacia
anyway :-/

Anyways, I'm sure you're right about the lower BB, ISTR that it was not uncommon for club racers to
use shorter cranks and lower BBs back when Pontius was pilot - could be misremembering, but it
certainly rings a bell.

And congratulations for keeping that fine old steed running. When I'm rich and famous I'll have a
classic sporting frame and do it up as well. I've set my heart on a "curly" Hetchins; in the mean
time I have a 1980s Claud Butler which has been rebuilt with Shimano 8-speed and hub dynamo, 700c
wheels and various other refinements. Rides like a dream, better than when it was new.

Mind you, on my daily bike I can put both feet flat on the floor, and I absolutely guarantee that my
saddle is correctly positioned. I can also touch the ground with both hands when seated... ;-)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> paid attention to my technique[?].First of all, let me ask you something, while riding, out of the
> pedals, when I put my heel on the pedal, my leg is fully extended. Obviously, fully extended, no
> knee bend, when the pedal is at its lowest point. Now do you still think that my saddle is out of
> the acceptable range of proper height?

It's a good starting point.

>Yes, I am on my toes and the bike is leaning, a bit to the left, but from that position, I start
>out, without leaving the saddle, so the bike can't be leaning all that much. I'm pretty sure that
>if you were to compare the bottom bracket's position to the ground, you would find it much lower
>than most modern bikes. Somewhere Sheldon mentions this, possibly in the article on French bikes.

Ah. A good explanation.

-Buck

> Mind you, on my daily bike I can put both feet flat on the floor, and I absolutely guarantee that
> my saddle is correctly positioned. I can also touch the ground with both hands when seated... ;-)

Alright, let's keep all this recumbent mumbo-jumbo out of here lest we confuse someone. Of course,
you do realize that you have now given us a new application for the term "knuckle-draggers." :)

-Buck

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
> ... Mind you, on my daily bike I can put both feet flat on the floor, and I absolutely guarantee
> that my saddle is correctly positioned. I can also touch the ground with both hands when
> seated... ;-)

Guy,

The Optima Stinger has a proper seat, not a saddle.

Tom Sherman wrote:

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
> > ... Mind you, on my daily bike I can put both feet flat on the floor, and I absolutely guarantee
> > that my saddle is correctly positioned. I can also touch the ground with both hands when
> > seated... ;-)
>
> Guy,
>
> The Optima Stinger has a proper seat, not a saddle.

What do you mean by "proper"? Seats have their places, even on the road - in cars, on recumbents,
lawn tractors.... Saddles have their proper places on horses backs, on bicycles. Seats are for being
sunk into, saddles are dynamic devices for active people. ;-} Cheerio, and enjoy the ride. Bernie