Rebuilding AD10

Craig Brossman

Guest
I've had my Cane Creek AD10 for 5 years now without any problems. I've decided to rebuild it before
I get some. Any tips or tricks to consider? The instructions seem pretty straight forward.

Craig Brossman

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| I've had my Cane Creek AD10 for 5 years now without any problems. I've decided to rebuild it
| before I get some. Any tips or tricks to consider?
The
| instructions seem pretty straight forward.
|
| Craig Brossman

follow them to the letter, use the parts provided. Use a non-attacking lube (Judy butter, slick
honey) and you'll be happy as a clam.

Nelson<--whose done this a couple dozen times.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 4/24/2003

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I've had my Cane Creek AD10 for 5 years now without any problems. I've decided to rebuild it
> before I get some. Any tips or tricks to consider? The instructions seem pretty straight forward.
>
> Craig Brossman

Not sure of the differences in the innards of the two models but I've rebuild my AD-5 just by
following the instructions and it was cake. If you run into problems, I've found the folks at Cane
Creek to be very friendly and helpful.

Tom

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've had my Cane Creek AD10 for 5 years now without any problems. I've decided to rebuild it
> before I get some. Any tips or tricks to consider?
The
> instructions seem pretty straight forward.
>
> Craig Brossman

Follow the instructions, make sure things are clean and lint-free before you re-lube it and, most
importantly, make sure you screw the piston into the piston shaft as tightly as you can. If it comes
loose while in use, the shock can blow apart and get completely trashed. I had that happen to me
even though I use a strap wrench and spanner to tighten the piston when I rebuild them. The piston
come loose on me a couple of times but the last time I didn't notice the noise it makes until it was
too late. From what I could gather from the manufacturer and on-line MTBing forums apparently that's
a common problem with those shocks. Luckily, Cane Creek stuck behind their product and sent me a
brand new AD-12.

Keith L.

Just Say: "Running the shock at 260 psi doesn't help matters."

"KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I've had my Cane Creek AD10 for 5 years now without any problems. I've decided to rebuild it
> > before I get some. Any tips or tricks to consider?
> The
> > instructions seem pretty straight forward.
> >
> > Craig Brossman
> >

> Follow the instructions, make sure things are clean and lint-free before
you
> re-lube it and, most importantly, make sure you screw the piston into the piston shaft as tightly
> as you can. If it comes loose while in use, the shock can blow apart and get completely trashed. I
> had that happen to me even though I use a strap wrench and spanner to tighten the piston when I
> rebuild them. The piston come loose on me a couple of times but the last time I didn't notice the
> noise it makes until it was too late. From what
> could gather from the manufacturer and on-line MTBing forums apparently that's a common problem
> with those shocks. Luckily, Cane Creek stuck behind their product and sent me a brand new AD-12.
>

> Keith L.
>
> Just Say: "Running the shock at 260 psi doesn't help matters."

On what frame were you running at 260psi? If I set my Sugar up anywhere over 100, the things
essentially on lockout - and that's on the shorter 2.8" setting, not the 4.1".

I only went higher than 90 when the rep tells me "oh yeah, you can get those things safely up to
about 315." Good lord.

Chris

> "KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I've had my Cane Creek AD10 for 5 years now without any problems. I've decided to rebuild it
> > > before I get some. Any tips or tricks to
consider?
> > The
> > > instructions seem pretty straight forward.
> > >
> > > Craig Brossman
> > >

> > Follow the instructions, make sure things are clean and lint-free before
> you
> > re-lube it and, most importantly, make sure you screw the piston into
the
> > piston shaft as tightly as you can. If it comes loose while in use,
the
> > shock can blow apart and get completely trashed. I had that happen to
me
> > even though I use a strap wrench and spanner to tighten the piston when
> > rebuild them. The piston come loose on me a couple of times but the
last
> > time I didn't notice the noise it makes until it was too late. From
what
> > could gather from the manufacturer and on-line MTBing forums apparently that's a common problem
> > with those shocks. Luckily, Cane Creek stuck behind their product and sent me a brand new AD-12.
> >

> > Keith L.
> >
> > Just Say: "Running the shock at 260 psi doesn't help matters."
> >

> On what frame were you running at 260psi? If I set my Sugar up anywhere over 100, the things
> essentially on lockout - and that's on the shorter
2.8"
> setting, not the 4.1".
>
> I only went higher than 90 when the rep tells me "oh yeah, you can get
those
> things safely up to about 315." Good lord.
>
> Chris

I run about 180-200 on my Truth and I only weigh about 175 lbs.

Craig Brossman.