Rebuilding AD10

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Craig Brossman, May 1, 2003.

  1. I've had my Cane Creek AD10 for 5 years now without any problems. I've decided to rebuild it before
    I get some. Any tips or tricks to consider? The instructions seem pretty straight forward.

    Craig Brossman

    Tags:

  2. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | I've had my Cane Creek AD10 for 5 years now without any problems. I've decided to rebuild it
    | before I get some. Any tips or tricks to consider?
    The
    | instructions seem pretty straight forward.
    |
    | Craig Brossman

    follow them to the letter, use the parts provided. Use a non-attacking lube (Judy butter, slick
    honey) and you'll be happy as a clam.

    Nelson<--whose done this a couple dozen times.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/24/2003

  3. Tom Walker

    Tom Walker Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've had my Cane Creek AD10 for 5 years now without any problems. I've decided to rebuild it
    > before I get some. Any tips or tricks to consider? The instructions seem pretty straight forward.
    >
    > Craig Brossman

    Not sure of the differences in the innards of the two models but I've rebuild my AD-5 just by
    following the instructions and it was cake. If you run into problems, I've found the folks at Cane
    Creek to be very friendly and helpful.

    Tom

  4. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've had my Cane Creek AD10 for 5 years now without any problems. I've decided to rebuild it
    > before I get some. Any tips or tricks to consider?
    The
    > instructions seem pretty straight forward.
    >
    > Craig Brossman

    Follow the instructions, make sure things are clean and lint-free before you re-lube it and, most
    importantly, make sure you screw the piston into the piston shaft as tightly as you can. If it comes
    loose while in use, the shock can blow apart and get completely trashed. I had that happen to me
    even though I use a strap wrench and spanner to tighten the piston when I rebuild them. The piston
    come loose on me a couple of times but the last time I didn't notice the noise it makes until it was
    too late. From what I could gather from the manufacturer and on-line MTBing forums apparently that's
    a common problem with those shocks. Luckily, Cane Creek stuck behind their product and sent me a
    brand new AD-12.

    Keith L.

    Just Say: "Running the shock at 260 psi doesn't help matters."

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I've had my Cane Creek AD10 for 5 years now without any problems. I've decided to rebuild it
    > > before I get some. Any tips or tricks to consider?
    > The
    > > instructions seem pretty straight forward.
    > >
    > > Craig Brossman
    > >

    > Follow the instructions, make sure things are clean and lint-free before
    you
    > re-lube it and, most importantly, make sure you screw the piston into the piston shaft as tightly
    > as you can. If it comes loose while in use, the shock can blow apart and get completely trashed. I
    > had that happen to me even though I use a strap wrench and spanner to tighten the piston when I
    > rebuild them. The piston come loose on me a couple of times but the last time I didn't notice the
    > noise it makes until it was too late. From what
    > could gather from the manufacturer and on-line MTBing forums apparently that's a common problem
    > with those shocks. Luckily, Cane Creek stuck behind their product and sent me a brand new AD-12.
    >

    > Keith L.
    >
    > Just Say: "Running the shock at 260 psi doesn't help matters."

    On what frame were you running at 260psi? If I set my Sugar up anywhere over 100, the things
    essentially on lockout - and that's on the shorter 2.8" setting, not the 4.1".

    I only went higher than 90 when the rep tells me "oh yeah, you can get those things safely up to
    about 315." Good lord.

    Chris

  6. "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I've had my Cane Creek AD10 for 5 years now without any problems. I've decided to rebuild it
    > > > before I get some. Any tips or tricks to
    consider?
    > > The
    > > > instructions seem pretty straight forward.
    > > >
    > > > Craig Brossman
    > > >

    > > Follow the instructions, make sure things are clean and lint-free before
    > you
    > > re-lube it and, most importantly, make sure you screw the piston into
    the
    > > piston shaft as tightly as you can. If it comes loose while in use,
    the
    > > shock can blow apart and get completely trashed. I had that happen to
    me
    > > even though I use a strap wrench and spanner to tighten the piston when
    > > rebuild them. The piston come loose on me a couple of times but the
    last
    > > time I didn't notice the noise it makes until it was too late. From
    what
    > > could gather from the manufacturer and on-line MTBing forums apparently that's a common problem
    > > with those shocks. Luckily, Cane Creek stuck behind their product and sent me a brand new AD-12.
    > >

    > > Keith L.
    > >
    > > Just Say: "Running the shock at 260 psi doesn't help matters."
    > >

    > On what frame were you running at 260psi? If I set my Sugar up anywhere over 100, the things
    > essentially on lockout - and that's on the shorter
    2.8"
    > setting, not the 4.1".
    >
    > I only went higher than 90 when the rep tells me "oh yeah, you can get
    those
    > things safely up to about 315." Good lord.
    >
    > Chris

    I run about 180-200 on my Truth and I only weigh about 175 lbs.

    Craig Brossman.

  7. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    > "KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Just Say: "Running the shock at 260 psi doesn't help matters."
    > >

    > On what frame were you running at 260psi? If I set my Sugar up anywhere over 100, the things
    > essentially on lockout - and that's on the shorter
    2.8"
    > setting, not the 4.1".

    It's on a Schwinn Homegrown.