Rebuilding Motobecane

rdr0912

May 11, 2007
Title pretty much says it. I used to ride my Dad's Motobecane he built in the 70s. I bought a new scott s-20 a few months back and now the motobecane is just sitting there. I would like to use Campy stuff as that is what I am told it originally had...My dad said that he took it all off to sell because he needed money to buy a certain piece of jewlery for my mom...lol. Man if only he kept it all on there.....
Anyway--back to reality--I was thinking of making this a commuter bike so I can still use it. I'm not sure exactly what all I should change. Basically everything is still the same as the late 70s when he last changed everything.
I was thinking of getting the following:
New chain
New cables
I'll have to track down new pads
most likely new wheels
I want to keep it as original as possible. I beleive the brakes are Wipperman? (If anyone knows where I can get new pads please let me know)
What is everyone's suggestions as far as parts I should upgrade and also suggestions for each of those parts?
Thanks in advance for all of your help!

rdr0912 said:
Title pretty much says it. I used to ride my Dad's Motobecane he built in the 70s. I bought a new scott s-20 a few months back and now the motobecane is just sitting there. I would like to use Campy stuff as that is what I am told it originally had...My dad said that he took it all off to sell because he needed money to buy a certain piece of jewlery for my mom...lol. Man if only he kept it all on there.....
Anyway--back to reality--I was thinking of making this a commuter bike so I can still use it. I'm not sure exactly what all I should change. Basically everything is still the same as the late 70s when he last changed everything.
I was thinking of getting the following:
New chain
New cables
I'll have to track down new pads
most likely new wheels
I want to keep it as original as possible. I beleive the brakes are Wipperman? (If anyone knows where I can get new pads please let me know)
What is everyone's suggestions as far as parts I should upgrade and also suggestions for each of those parts?
Thanks in advance for all of your help!
I'm confused, what's on it now?

Honestly I'm not even sure. After he sold the campy stuff, I think he pieced everything else together from what he had around the shop he worked in. I know that the brakes are wippermann because I had to try and track down some pads a while back. Other than that I will have to look tonight and find out.

rdr0912 said:
Honestly I'm not even sure. After he sold the campy stuff, I think he pieced everything else together from what he had around the shop he worked in. I know that the brakes are wippermann because I had to try and track down some pads a while back. Other than that I will have to look tonight and find out.

Brakes are probably weinmann, not wipperman.

Dad sold Campy components to buy jewelry for the wife--sounds like your dad knows his priorities.

John M said:
Brakes are probably weinmann, not wipperman.

Dad sold Campy components to buy jewelry for the wife--sounds like your dad knows his priorities.
Yeah I told him that when he told me that he took it all off to sell it. Oh well
As far as the brakes, you were right. The brakes are weinmann.
As far as the derailors and shifters, All I could find on them was "sun-tour." On the cranks it says "tourney," The rear derailor says comp-V I think and the front says the same.
Does anyone have any insite on these?
Also, any idea where I may find a chain to replace the one that is on there now?

rdr0912 said:
So I just saw Tektro rx20c brakes on nashbar (see link) for $20 for the pair. What is the consensus on these...anyone hear of them? Should I put a set of 105's on for $50? Or should I just try to find some pads for the weinnman brakes that I have on there now?
Thanks for your input!
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=600069&subcategory=60001014&brand=&sku=20161&storetype=estore&estoreid=960&pagename=Estore%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Component%20Clearance%2DRoad%20Brakes
Suggest you keep all the original parts if possible. After all, they are part of the old bike; a lot classier on the vintage bike than a set of Tektro's. Second, no need to throw money to "update" this oldy....$50 for a set of 105 brakes is $50 you don't need to spend. Fix this one up good enough to ride, and save your money for that new CF wonder bike you know you want.

Weinmann centerpull brakes work just fine with fresh pads and decent cables. Believe the last replacement pads I got for them were "Madison Aztec's". That was at least a decade ago, so don't know if they are made anymore.

I wasn't sure exactly what to do in this matter. I do want to keep everything as original, but I wasn't sure how much the pads were going to cost. Also, I was going to replace all cables so I wasn't sure if it would have been cheaper to get the new brakes.
Now I just have to find pads that fit.