Rebuilding Pedals

Bob C

Guest
A kind soul gave me a pair of PD-M540 Mountain Bike Pedals. I'd like to
rebuild them to remove the play in the spindle. Shimano tells me the
axle assembly is about $30 per pedal (then just remove the old one and
replace with the new) Anyone got any better idea?
--
Bob C

"Bob C" <patnbob@unwired> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A kind soul gave me a pair of PD-M540 Mountain Bike Pedals. I'd like to
>rebuild them to remove the play in the spindle. Shimano tells me the axle
>assembly is about $30 per pedal (then just remove the old one and replace
>with the new) Anyone got any better idea?
> --
> Bob C

I remember popping the end cap off the spindle to resolve a bearing play
issue with one of those. I can't remember details, but I think it was pretty
straightforward.

"Bob C" <patnbob@unwired> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A kind soul gave me a pair of PD-M540 Mountain Bike Pedals. I'd like to
>rebuild them to remove the play in the spindle. Shimano tells me the axle
>assembly is about $30 per pedal (then just remove the old one and replace
>with the new) Anyone got any better idea?

They're fairly easy to rebuild, it's a self extracting spindle with cup and
cone loose bearings inside. They're very small bearings so keep track of
them if you feel compelled to totally rebuild.
Check to make sure the surface that the shoe contacts isn't worn away before
spending money as this was what wore out on my last pair.

Duncan wrote:
> "Bob C" <patnbob@unwired> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> A kind soul gave me a pair of PD-M540 Mountain Bike Pedals. I'd like to
>> rebuild them to remove the play in the spindle. Shimano tells me the axle
>> assembly is about $30 per pedal (then just remove the old one and replace
>> with the new) Anyone got any better idea?

> They're fairly easy to rebuild, it's a self extracting spindle with cup and
> cone loose bearings inside. They're very small bearings so keep track of
> them if you feel compelled to totally rebuild.
> Check to make sure the surface that the shoe contacts isn't worn away before
> spending money as this was what wore out on my last pair.

Dismantled both pedals today, easy - cleaned up and dried then regreased
and re-adjusted - the axle play is gone and the pedals are as good as
new, the pedals are a gift and seem to have been out in the weather for
a while as the springs and the other surfaces are quite rusty where the
chrome is scuffed off. and yes the 24 x 3/32" bearings in each pedal
are a bit of a challenge

--
Bob C