Rebuilding wheels with DA hubs...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kevin, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    How safe is it to rebuild a wheel with a different lacing pattern than its original build. I am
    looking at rebuilding wheels that were built radially on the front, and radial on non drive side
    rear, 2 cross on drive side. The wheels are near new. I would probably rebuild them with a 2 cross
    pattern all around. Is this safe to do with the DA 9 speed hubs, or do I risk having the flange
    break? Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Bill Lloyd

    Bill Lloyd Guest

    I'd say it's a bad idea, in general, to re-lace a hub differently than it was originally.

    -B

    "Kevin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How safe is it to rebuild a wheel with a different lacing pattern than its original build. I am
    > looking at rebuilding wheels that were built radially on the front, and radial on non drive side
    > rear, 2 cross on drive side. The wheels are near new. I would probably rebuild them with a 2 cross
    > pattern all around. Is this safe to do with the DA 9 speed hubs, or do I risk having the flange
    > break? Thanks!

  3. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    Good question! A coupla months ago I was looking at going the opposite way (3 cross to radial), and
    asked r.b.t about doing so. The response, besides a tepid maybe, was otherwise completely negative
    on the idea. There have been posts warning about changing spoke patterns but this is going from an
    non-warranteed spoke pattern to one the mfr will warranty.

    Probably better to stick with the original spoking, there is something about stresses and changes
    that have occurred in the flanges from the original spoking causing failure if the stresses change
    significantly.

    Perhaps Jobst or Sheldon will chime in?

    App

    [email protected] (Kevin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > How safe is it to rebuild a wheel with a different lacing pattern than its original build. I am
    > looking at rebuilding wheels that were built radially on the front, and radial on non drive side
    > rear, 2 cross on drive side. The wheels are near new. I would probably rebuild them with a 2 cross
    > pattern all around. Is this safe to do with the DA 9 speed hubs, or do I risk having the flange
    > break? Thanks!

  4. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    Switch to 3 cross and despite the "different than it was before" lacing it should help the hubs
    last longer.

    [email protected] (Kevin) wrote in message
    news:<c1ecad97.030110084[email protected]>...
    > How safe is it to rebuild a wheel with a different lacing pattern than its original build. I am
    > looking at rebuilding wheels that were built radially on the front, and radial on non drive side
    > rear, 2 cross on drive side. The wheels are near new. I would probably rebuild them with a 2 cross
    > pattern all around. Is this safe to do with the DA 9 speed hubs, or do I risk having the flange
    > break? Thanks!

  5. dianne-<< Switch to 3 cross and despite the "different than it was before" lacing it should help the
    hubs last longer.

    Lacing in a different direction, particularly on drive side rear, is a good way to 'perhaps' break a
    flange. May not but it certainly won't help the hub 'last longer'.