Rebuilding wheels with DA hubs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin

How safe is it to rebuild a wheel with a different lacing pattern than its original build. I am
looking at rebuilding wheels that were built radially on the front, and radial on non drive side
rear, 2 cross on drive side. The wheels are near new. I would probably rebuild them with a 2 cross
pattern all around. Is this safe to do with the DA 9 speed hubs, or do I risk having the flange
break? Thanks!

I'd say it's a bad idea, in general, to re-lace a hub differently than it was originally.

-B

"Kevin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How safe is it to rebuild a wheel with a different lacing pattern than its original build. I am
> looking at rebuilding wheels that were built radially on the front, and radial on non drive side
> rear, 2 cross on drive side. The wheels are near new. I would probably rebuild them with a 2 cross
> pattern all around. Is this safe to do with the DA 9 speed hubs, or do I risk having the flange
> break? Thanks!

Good question! A coupla months ago I was looking at going the opposite way (3 cross to radial), and
asked r.b.t about doing so. The response, besides a tepid maybe, was otherwise completely negative
on the idea. There have been posts warning about changing spoke patterns but this is going from an
non-warranteed spoke pattern to one the mfr will warranty.

Probably better to stick with the original spoking, there is something about stresses and changes
that have occurred in the flanges from the original spoking causing failure if the stresses change
significantly.

Perhaps Jobst or Sheldon will chime in?

App

[email protected] (Kevin) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> How safe is it to rebuild a wheel with a different lacing pattern than its original build. I am
> looking at rebuilding wheels that were built radially on the front, and radial on non drive side
> rear, 2 cross on drive side. The wheels are near new. I would probably rebuild them with a 2 cross
> pattern all around. Is this safe to do with the DA 9 speed hubs, or do I risk having the flange
> break? Thanks!

Switch to 3 cross and despite the "different than it was before" lacing it should help the hubs
last longer.

[email protected] (Kevin) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> break? Thanks!

dianne-<< Switch to 3 cross and despite the "different than it was before" lacing it should help the
hubs last longer.

Lacing in a different direction, particularly on drive side rear, is a good way to 'perhaps' break a
flange. May not but it certainly won't help the hub 'last longer'.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Status
Not open for further replies.