Rec: 1" carbon threadless fork with metal steerer?

m&m

Guest
Am looking for recs for 1" carbon threadless fork w metal steerer.

Kestrel EMS forks seem to fit the bill, but can't seem to find a place
that carries these.

Also, is there a max amt of spacers that can be used w metal steerer
(like I see mentioned for carbon steerers)?

tia, M

m&m wrote:
> Am looking for recs for 1" carbon threadless fork w metal steerer.

unless it's a steel steerer, cheaper 1" carbon forks tend to lack
stiffness. how big a frame is it intended for and how heavy are you?

> Kestrel EMS forks seem to fit the bill, but can't seem to find a place
> that carries these.

that's a good thing you can't find one - unless it's one of the old ones
made in california, do not touch a kestrel with a long pole. i've had
two chinese made ones start to fail on me. always perform the "squeeze
test" on any carbon fork you buy before fitting.

> Also, is there a max amt of spacers that can be used w metal steerer
> (like I see mentioned for carbon steerers)?

theoretically, the same. in practice though, you can probably double up
on a steel steerer.

you could try the 1" steel steerer carbon fork from performance bike,
but again, perform the squeeze test when you first get it, and return it
if it fails.

Merlin Ti Frame, 55cm. Me - 200lbs.
The bike has a carbon fork w carbon steerer (Ouzo Pro)- but I'm just
concerned given my wt. Should I be?

tia, M

m&m wrote:
> Merlin Ti Frame, 55cm. Me - 200lbs.
> The bike has a carbon fork w carbon steerer (Ouzo Pro)- but I'm just
> concerned given my wt. Should I be?
>
> tia, M

fork? it won't break, but it'll bend a bit.

personally, i don't like merlin frames - they don't seem to have figured
out that big diameter down tubes make for better lateral stiffness. and
they cheap out by not using tapered stay tubes.

On Oct 20, 7:30 pm, m&m <[email protected]> wrote:
> Am looking for recs for 1" carbon threadless fork w metal steerer.
>
> Kestrel EMS forks seem to fit the bill, but can't seem to find a place
> that carries these.
>
> Also, is there a max amt of spacers that can be used w metal steerer
> (like I see mentioned for carbon steerers)?
>
> tia, M

I've got a Ritchey Comp with an Al steerer. I weigh 235 and use 65mm
of spacers (2x 30mm + a 5mm). It's on a 59cm frame and the 300mm
steerer is uncut. I've got an 11cm Ti stem, so that will flex long
before my steerer will.

Here's one of many on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/3anu96

jim beam wrote:
> fork? it won't break, but it'll bend a bit.
> personally, i don't like merlin frames - they don't seem to have figured
> out that big diameter down tubes make for better lateral stiffness. and
> they cheap out by not using tapered stay tubes.

If you find a photo of a bent carbon fork that's not destroyed by
delamination I'd like to see it.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:
>> m&m wrote:
>>> Merlin Ti Frame, 55cm. Me - 200lbs.
>>> The bike has a carbon fork w carbon steerer (Ouzo Pro)- but I'm just
>>> concerned given my wt. Should I be?

> jim beam wrote:
>> fork? it won't break, but it'll bend a bit.
>> personally, i don't like merlin frames - they don't seem to have
>> figured out that big diameter down tubes make for better lateral
>> stiffness. and they cheap out by not using tapered stay tubes.

> If you find a photo of a bent carbon fork that's not destroyed by
> delamination I'd like to see it.

bend, not get bent. bending is elastic.

Andrew Muzi mused:

> If you find a photo of a bent carbon fork that's not destroyed by
> delamination I'd like to see it.

Here is a photograph of a CFRP fork for a bent that has not been
destroyed by delamination:
<http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/uploads/Itemizer/1471.1.jpg>. ;)

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Andrew Muzi mused:
>>
>> If you find a photo of a bent carbon fork that's not destroyed by
>> delamination I'd like to see it.

> Here is a photograph of a CFRP fork for a bent that has not been destroyed
> by delamination:
> <http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/uploads/Itemizer/1471.1.jpg>. ;)

That's a bend? It looks like the carbon fork was *shaped* to be fatter at
one end?

bfd ??? wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Andrew Muzi mused:
>>> If you find a photo of a bent carbon fork that's not destroyed by
>>> delamination I'd like to see it.

>> Here is a photograph of a CFRP fork for a bent that has not been destroyed
>> by delamination:
>> <http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/uploads/Itemizer/1471.1.jpg>. ;)
>>

> That's a bend? It looks like the carbon fork was *shaped* to be fatter at
> one end?

Er, that's a joke son.

bfd wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Andrew Muzi mused:
>>> If you find a photo of a bent carbon fork that's not destroyed by
>>> delamination I'd like to see it.

>> Here is a photograph of a CFRP fork for a bent that has not been destroyed
>> by delamination:
>> <http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/uploads/Itemizer/1471.1.jpg>. ;)
>>

> That's a bend? It looks like the carbon fork was *shaped* to be fatter at
> one end?

tom's talking [recum]bent, not plastic deformation. he's a perv like that.