REC - Accidental Brownies

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Damsel in dis Dress, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. * Exported from MasterCook *

    Accidental Brownies

    Recipe By :Crash
    Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Pastries & Desserts

    1 1/2 cup boiling water
    1 cup quick oatmeal
    1 cup soft butter
    2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon soda
    1/2 cup cocoa

    Pour water over oatmeal and let stand. Mix butter, sugar, and
    vanilla. Combine with oatmeal. Add flour, salt, soda, and cocoa.
    Blend well. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes in a greased and floured
    9"x13" pan.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    - -

    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 177 Calories; 7g Fat (34.9%
    calories from fat); 1g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
    18mg Cholesterol; 130mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
    Meat; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

    NOTES : This was originally a cake recipe, which called for 2 eggs.
    The first time I baked this cake, I forgot the eggs. The resulting
    mistake was not only edible, it was delicious!

    Tags:

  2. Damsel wrote:

    > Accidental Brownies
    >
    > Recipe By :Crash
    > Categories : Pastries & Desserts

    > 1 1/2 cup boiling water
    > 1 cup quick oatmeal
    > 1 cup soft butter
    > 2 cup sugar
    > 1 teaspoon vanilla
    > 1 cup flour
    > 1/2 teaspoon salt
    > 1 teaspoon soda
    > 1/2 cup cocoa
    >
    > Pour water over oatmeal and let stand. Mix butter, sugar, and
    > vanilla. Combine with oatmeal. Add flour, salt, soda, and cocoa.
    > Blend well. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes in a greased and floured
    > 9"x13" pan.
    >
    > NOTES : This was originally a cake recipe, which called for 2 eggs.
    > The first time I baked this cake, I forgot the eggs. The resulting
    > mistake was not only edible, it was delicious!

    The cocoa is "normal" cocoa rather than Dutch-processed, right? (I'm making
    that guess because normal cocoa is acidic, and the baking soda could be
    intended to counteract the acidity.)

    I'm going to try modifying this recipe by using 2 1/2 cups cooked steel-cut
    oatmeal instead of the boiling water and quick oatmeal. I've also got some
    chocolate chips and raisins which can go into the batter. Stay tuned...

    Bob

  3. On 28 Mar 2006 02:02:03 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote:

    >Damsel wrote:
    >
    >> Accidental Brownies
    >>
    >> Recipe By :Crash
    >> Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
    >> Categories : Pastries & Desserts
    >>
    >> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    >> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    >> 1 1/2 cup boiling water
    >> 1 cup quick oatmeal
    >> 1 cup soft butter
    >> 2 cup sugar
    >> 1 teaspoon vanilla
    >> 1 cup flour
    >> 1/2 teaspoon salt
    >> 1 teaspoon soda
    >> 1/2 cup cocoa
    >>
    >> Pour water over oatmeal and let stand. Mix butter, sugar, and
    >> vanilla. Combine with oatmeal. Add flour, salt, soda, and cocoa.
    >> Blend well. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes in a greased and floured
    >> 9"x13" pan.
    >>
    >> NOTES : This was originally a cake recipe, which called for 2 eggs.
    >> The first time I baked this cake, I forgot the eggs. The resulting
    >> mistake was not only edible, it was delicious!

    >The cocoa is "normal" cocoa rather than Dutch-processed, right? (I'm making
    >that guess because normal cocoa is acidic, and the baking soda could be
    >intended to counteract the acidity.)

    Yup, plain ol' Hershey's cocoa.

    >I'm going to try modifying this recipe by using 2 1/2 cups cooked steel-cut
    >oatmeal instead of the boiling water and quick oatmeal. I've also got some
    >chocolate chips and raisins which can go into the batter. Stay tuned...

    That sounds mahvelous! Love to hear how it goes.

    Peace,
    Carol