REC: Another elbows and ground beef, sort of tangy

Felice Friese

Guest
We call this one

HEARTY CASSEROLE

6 ounces elbow macaroni 2 medium onions, quartered
3/4 pound chopped chuck 2 ounces grated Cheddar
4/4 teaspoon salt pepper to taste 1 cup catsup (don't sneer until you taste this) 1-1/2 teaspoon
prepared mustard
5/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Cook macaroni and quartered onions until done; drain. Meanwhile, brown chuck; drain. Mix all
ingredients together in a casserole and bake 30 minutes at 350.

Caveat: All measurements and directions are approximate. I've winged this for years.

Felice

P.S. to Barb: You can use some other pasta if you like, but don't mess with the chuck.

Felice provided:

> We call this one
>
> HEARTY CASSEROLE

Tangy? *Here's* a ground-beef-and-elbow-macaroni dish that's TANGY. It's from a magazine article
sometime in the 1970's:

Macaroni with Spicy Lamb Ragout

Serves 6

1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil 1 cup diced, peeled onion
1/2 teaspoon minced, peeled garlic 1 pound lean ground lamb or beef (I almost always use ground
chuck) 1 15-oz can (2 cups) tomato sauce 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
2/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
4/4 cup chopped fresh parsley 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt 1 pound macaroni or ziti 2 tablespoons
butter or margarine

5. In a large skillet, melt the 1 tablespoon of butter over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook
5 minutes, stirring often, until onion is soft and yellow. Add garlic and meat, increase heat
to moderately high and cook 5 minutes, breaking up meat with a spoon, until it loses most of
its red color. Start pasta water.

6. To meat mixture, add tomato sauce, oregano, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce
heat to moderately low and simmer 15 minutes, stirring often to prevent sauce from sticking.

7. While sauce is cooking, boil pasta for required time.

8. Add parsley to sauce and turn heat off, but leave pan on burner for a moment. After about
a minute, remove the pan from the heat. Beat the yogurt smooth, add to the sauce, and
stir to blend.

9. Drain pasta and put into large bowl. Toss with the remaining butter or margarine.

Divide pasta among heated soup plates or dinner plates. Spoon sauce over pasta and serve. Good with
toasted French bread and a salad of escarole, cucumbers, beets, and black olives.

Bob

In article <jDo0c.83346$Xp.379538@attbi_s54>, "Felice Friese"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> We call this one
>
> HEARTY CASSEROLE
>
> 6 ounces elbow macaroni 2 medium onions, quartered
> 3/4 pound chopped chuck 2 ounces grated Cheddar
> 1/4 teaspoon salt pepper to taste 1 cup catsup (don't sneer until you taste this)

Is gaggin OK, Felice?

> 1-1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
> 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
>
> Cook macaroni and quartered onions until done; drain. Meanwhile, brown chuck; drain. Mix all
> ingredients together in a casserole and bake 30 minutes at 350.
>
> Caveat: All measurements and directions are approximate. I've winged this for years.
>
> Felice
>
> P.S. to Barb: You can use some other pasta if you like, but don't mess with the chuck.

Sounds like it'd be right up my SIL's alley. He thinks ketchup is a vegetable. One of the few he'll
eat. Do you boil those onion quarters with the mac?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <jDo0c.83346$Xp.379538@attbi_s54>, "Felice Friese" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > We call this one
> >
> > HEARTY CASSEROLE
> >
> > 6 ounces elbow macaroni 2 medium onions, quartered
> > 3/4 pound chopped chuck 2 ounces grated Cheddar
> > 1/4 teaspoon salt pepper to taste 1 cup catsup (don't sneer until you taste this)
>
> Is gaggin OK, Felice?
>

> > 1-1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
> > 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
> >
> > Cook macaroni and quartered onions until done; drain. Meanwhile, brown chuck; drain. Mix all
> > ingredients together in a casserole and bake 30 minutes at 350.
> >
> > Caveat: All measurements and directions are approximate. I've winged
this
> > for years.
> >
> > Felice
> >
> > P.S. to Barb: You can use some other pasta if you like, but don't mess with the chuck.
>
> Sounds like it'd be right up my SIL's alley. He thinks ketchup is a vegetable. One of the few
> he'll eat. Do you boil those onion quarters with the mac?
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

Yeah, you can gag, but only because I won't see or hear you from here.

Yeah, you cook the onions with the macaroni, and they both go into the casserole. Now you can
say "yuk"!

Felice

In article <D%u1c.33088$ko6.311192@attbi_s02>, "Felice Friese"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote
> in message
> > Sounds like it'd be right up my SIL's alley. He thinks
> > ketchup is a vegetable. One of the few he'll eat. Do you
> > boil those onion quarters with the mac?

> Yeah, you can gag, but only because I won't see or hear
> you from here. Yeah, you cook the onions with the
> macaroni, and they both go into the casserole. Now you can
> say "yuk"!
>
> Felice

Mercy, no!! I'm from Meen-a-soh-tah! We say, "That's
different." Same thing. "-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-5-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got