REC - Bean with Bacon Soup

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Damsel in dis Dress, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. * Exported from MasterCook *

    Bean with Bacon Soup

    Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

    1 pound dried navy beans -- (2 cups)
    1/4 pound bacon slices
    1 medium onion -- finely diced
    2 medium carrots -- finely diced
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    2 medium bay leaves
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    8 cups water
    1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring -- optional

    Sort and wash beans, and soak overnight in a large soup pot in 6 cups
    lukewarm water. Remove to a colander, drain thoroughly and rinse.

    Cut bacon slices at 1/2-inch intervals. Fry bacon pieces in the soup
    pot until crisp. Remove from pan and set aside. Saute onion in bacon
    drippings until translucent.

    In the soup pot, combine all ingredients except liquid smoke. Heat to
    boiling, then lower heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until
    beans are tender. Add liquid smoke to taste.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    - -

    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2283 Calories; 62g Fat (24.1%
    calories from fat); 139g Protein; 301g Carbohydrate; 118g Dietary
    Fiber; 96mg Cholesterol; 3056mg Sodium. Exchanges: 18 Grain(Starch);
    11 Lean Meat; 4 1/2 Vegetable; 8 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

    > * Exported from MasterCook *
    >
    > Bean with Bacon Soup
    >
    > Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress
    > Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    > Categories :

    > 1 pound dried navy beans -- (2 cups)
    > 1/4 pound bacon slices
    > 1 medium onion -- finely diced
    > 2 medium carrots -- finely diced
    > 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    > 2 medium bay leaves
    > 1/2 teaspoon salt
    > 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    > 8 cups water
    > 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring -- optional
    >
    > Sort and wash beans, and soak overnight in a large soup pot in 6 cups
    > lukewarm water. Remove to a colander, drain thoroughly and rinse.
    >
    > Cut bacon slices at 1/2-inch intervals. Fry bacon pieces in the soup
    > pot until crisp. Remove from pan and set aside. Saute onion in bacon
    > drippings until translucent.
    >
    > In the soup pot, combine all ingredients except liquid smoke. Heat to
    > boiling, then lower heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until
    > beans are tender. Add liquid smoke to taste.
    >
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > - -
    >
    > Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2283 Calories; 62g Fat (24.1%
    > calories from fat); 139g Protein; 301g Carbohydrate; 118g Dietary
    > Fiber; 96mg Cholesterol; 3056mg Sodium. Exchanges: 18 Grain(Starch);
    > 11 Lean Meat; 4 1/2 Vegetable; 8 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

    Dams, since you are low carbing, please look into Eden Black Soy beans.
    ;-)
    --
    Peace, Om.

  3. On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:49:38 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dams, since you are low carbing, please look into Eden Black Soy beans.
    >;-)

    Never thought to do that with this soup. I love the black soy beans!
    Actually, I was just trying to inject a little food into the group.
    Hopefully, not to start a food fight. Who wants to get hit by a glop
    of bean soup?

    Peace,
    Carol

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

    > * Exported from MasterCook *
    >
    > Bean with Bacon Soup

    (snip)
    > In the soup pot, combine all ingredients except liquid smoke. Heat to
    > boiling, then lower heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until
    > beans are tender. Add liquid smoke to taste.

    Carol, is this anything like Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup?

    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-27-2006 It Can Can!

  5. On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:46:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> * Exported from MasterCook *
    >>
    >> Bean with Bacon Soup

    >(snip)
    >> In the soup pot, combine all ingredients except liquid smoke. Heat to
    >> boiling, then lower heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until
    >> beans are tender. Add liquid smoke to taste.

    >Carol, is this anything like Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup?

    It's as close as I could get it. I love the Campbell's stuff!

    Peace,
    Carol

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:49:38 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Dams, since you are low carbing, please look into Eden Black Soy beans.
    > >;-)

    > Never thought to do that with this soup. I love the black soy beans!
    > Actually, I was just trying to inject a little food into the group.
    > Hopefully, not to start a food fight. Who wants to get hit by a glop
    > of bean soup?
    >
    > Peace,
    > Carol

    <giggles> Too damned true...

    I've managed to make a really decent bacon and pork hock bean soup using
    pre-soaked black soy beans. Me and dad both really like them!
    --
    Peace, Om.

  7. On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:27:45 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've managed to make a really decent bacon and pork hock bean soup using
    >pre-soaked black soy beans. Me and dad both really like them!

    I'll definitely give that a try! Thanks!

    Peace,
    Carol

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
    (snippage)

    > >Carol, is this anything like Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup?

    > It's as close as I could get it. I love the Campbell's stuff!
    >
    > Peace,
    > Carol

    Sounds good, then. I like the Campbell's stuff, too. Haven't bought
    any for a long time because I always forget to eat it. :-/
    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-27-2006 It Can Can!

  9. On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:17:13 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]om> wrote:
    >(snippage)
    >> >
    >> >Carol, is this anything like Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup?

    >> It's as close as I could get it. I love the Campbell's stuff!

    >Sounds good, then. I like the Campbell's stuff, too. Haven't bought
    >any for a long time because I always forget to eat it. :-/

    Let me know how you like it, Barb. If you think it needs improvement,
    give me a holler. The liquid smoke is necessary for the Campbell's
    flavor. :eek:)

    Carol

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:27:45 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I've managed to make a really decent bacon and pork hock bean soup using
    > >pre-soaked black soy beans. Me and dad both really like them!

    > I'll definitely give that a try! Thanks!
    >
    > Peace,
    > Carol

    Cheers! :)

    I went back and re-read that recipe.
    IMHO the addition of liquid smoke is not necessary when you are using
    bacon, but then I generally pre-cook up an entire lb. and add that to
    it. <G> That would be for 2 cups of pre-soaked beans and 4 cups of stock.

    IMHO pre-soaking black soybeans makes them come out much, much more
    tender.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  11. On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:18:40 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:27:45 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I've managed to make a really decent bacon and pork hock bean soup using
    >> >pre-soaked black soy beans. Me and dad both really like them!

    >> I'll definitely give that a try! Thanks!

    >Cheers! :)
    >
    >I went back and re-read that recipe.
    >IMHO the addition of liquid smoke is not necessary when you are using
    >bacon, but then I generally pre-cook up an entire lb. and add that to
    >it. <G> That would be for 2 cups of pre-soaked beans and 4 cups of stock.

    The liquid smoke isn't necessary unless you're trying to replicate
    Campbell's bean with bacon soup. That's what I was shooting for.

    >IMHO pre-soaking black soybeans makes them come out much, much more
    >tender.

    Okey-dokey. I'll try to find some next time we go shopping so I can
    give it a try. Thanks!

    Peace,
    Carol

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:18:40 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <[email protected]>,
    > > Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> I'll definitely give that a try! Thanks!

    > >Cheers! :)
    > >
    > >I went back and re-read that recipe.
    > >IMHO the addition of liquid smoke is not necessary when you are using
    > >bacon, but then I generally pre-cook up an entire lb. and add that to
    > >it. <G> That would be for 2 cups of pre-soaked beans and 4 cups of stock.

    > The liquid smoke isn't necessary unless you're trying to replicate
    > Campbell's bean with bacon soup. That's what I was shooting for.
    >
    > >IMHO pre-soaking black soybeans makes them come out much, much more
    > >tender.

    > Okey-dokey. I'll try to find some next time we go shopping so I can
    > give it a try. Thanks!
    >
    > Peace,
    > Carol

    Oog, good luck finding dry black soy at the store... :-(

    I looked and looked, even at the oriental market. I was able to find
    canned by Eden foods at Central Market in Austin, but I had to buy the
    dried ones on line in a 25 lb. bag.

    I promptly re-sold 10 lbs. of them to a fellow low carbing co-worker. <G>

    I bagged the rest of them up in ziplocks and refrigerated them. With
    shipping etc., I paid around $45.00 for 25 lbs.

    Worth it tho' IMHO!
    --
    Peace, Om.