Rec Bike ride in Brissy

beauyboy

Jun 6, 2006
Hi all I ride pretty much everyday so I am use to it. My other half well that is another matter ATM he is sleepin off his pains while I am only nursing a sore calf that decided to spasum at 4am this morning, God i hate leg cramps.
Anyway w wanted to go for a days riding. As I am use to the road and he is not we would have to keep to bikeways and quite roads.
This was the plan starting at 9am with picking up the hire bike for him. Some very old comfort bike, I ride a hybrid. Taking off from New Farm we were to ride to West End Citycat terminal via the Storey Bridge, Kangaroo Point Cliffs and Southbank. Here we were to cross the river to the Regatta (toowong) and follow the bikeway all the way to the bottom of Teneriffe and cut up to Bowen Hills Train Station catch the train out Mitchelton and join the Kedron Brook, Boondall wetlands bikeway all the way to Shorncliffe then to redcliffe then running return to Bowen Hills and riding back to New Farm.
Well that was the plan. I expected a homeward arrival of around around 6pm so a total of around 9 hours riding and well over 100ks covered. I repeat that was the plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Right from the start I had a feeling that the plan was not going to work out and fun would start. We did not pick the bike up until 10.15 (dame running late). Even with his fear of heights we got across the storey bridge with out dismounting even if it was a little slower than i do it in, then thru Southbank which is always a delight with people not movin even with u dingin bell. Oh Smeg at the end of Southbank in front of the Culture Center the Bikeway boardway was closed! Up around the Culture Center we went and rejoined our path at the road that follows the River.That bit was fine my other half was starting to get a bit of speed up so i could finally streach out. Get to West End Citycat stop closed due to maintainence a cross river shuttle running from Dutton Park Ferry Stop. Hell Not another thing, had read it was closed but had not dawned on me until now. Oh well he was eager to go on so up the hills we went I love hills bit tiring but so much fun. Turn up to dutton park ferry get the shuttle ferry over to citycat stop but miss the cat. Other Half was eager to not wait for cat. Him maybe but I was busting to got to the dunny. Oh well I could hold (maybe) on we went from UQ thru St Lusia the Bike Route the BCC has marked out is very hilly and windy, then along the coronation bikeway love this thing fast and gentle almost left the other half behind was having to much fun then following the bikeway onto teneriffe then up to Bowen(hills) was fine. A section that was to take no more than 2 hours had taken 3 and by the train came we were running 2.5hours behind plan. As always the Kedron Brook Boondall Wetlands bikeway was a pleasure to ride. With the oher half riding slower than me this section took 2 hours and we arrived in Shorncliffe for a very late lunch. Realising that Redcliffe was way out now crossing the hornibrook bridge was decided on cos he had never done it. Once again Dame Bikewayworks shorncliffe cliffs were closed up we went on top of the cliffs by the time we reached the other side of the bridge it was already dark. On went the lights as I only had one set then went on my bike. On return to Shorncliffe it was 6.30. As i had the better night vision he would carry the headlight and i would ride behind with the tail light. Off we went for the return to mitchelton In some nieve hope i was hoping we would get there by 8.30. As we went past boondall that it would be better for me to lead as even without a headlight my vision in the dark was better than his with the head light. Using the light from behind the travel now was very slow as we naviaged the many tight twists and turns of the wetlands section with me calling out bends. even on the open parts it was still slow due to nerves of the otherhalf. On arrival at Toomball the halfway point timewise it was 8pm. My only hope now that me make the station by 9.30 and get that train. Luckily we did but by the time we did the otherhalf bum was very num i was a little sore but mostly hungry. Getting off at bown we did the final streach along teneriffe and home to New Farm Pulling in the door at 10.30

Oh well that was the ride and the other half is still in the bed in pain me i just wish i had got that God dame calf cramp. I am hoping we covered over 100k

Beauyboy

good on you beauyboy, sounds like you both had a fantastic, if somewhat super-long ride!
please, let me know if you are going to do this ride again anytime soon, as i rode to redcliffe and back to ashgrove (with trains from roma st-->toombul and vice versa because i woke up too late!!) last sunday. you probably did ride 100kms because i rode 85kms, and sounds like you did alot more riding than i did!
i managed the round trip in 4 hours ride time, with short stops for redbull, energy bars, gaping at wildlife, and stopping to ask for directions... not to mention waiting for the train! even with all those stops and waiting for the train i beat the time i thought it would take me, so im pretty happy!

i think a friend and i will be doing the entire loop from ashgrove to scarborough and back in a few weeks time, if you are interested you are most welcome to join us:)

its a great ride isnt it? the only problems i had were with a "sunday rider" on the nudgee bikepath. i had come up to 2 kids who were riding their bikes, the eldest couldnt have even been 8 years old, and she was trying her best to get her brother, who looked around 4, to ride in front of her and free up the right side of the path... i was patiently waiting behind them because the little one was wobbling and noodling all over the place in his haste to get over in front of his sister and i didnt particularly want a small child in my spokes. along comes some large tall middle aged man in bike shorts, a white collared cotton shirt and his helmet unbuckled on his head and literally ZOOMS in between the two kids, no bells no excuse mes and almost tips the little kid over... ******!! so i manage to get past the kids and past the ******... about 5 minutes later he zooms past me, a little too closely, almost knocking me off my bike and then slows right down in front of me.
i can assure you my blood was almost boiling after this... i bet this guy drives like this too.

oh yeah, and as for the hornibrook bridge... great ride... didnt quite realise how long it was, but at least it gave me a fair indication of what wind does to riding speed...
22km/h going towards a headwind, and 32km/h with a tailwind...i seriously didnt realise that a tailwind would make 10km/h difference!

OK just worked out the total distance that we traveled and we work it out to be 120ks. Not massive but not bad.
Also looking at the Hornibrook Bridge in the UBD it seams to be 3ks long:eek:
Oh yeah tail winds make a huge difference on one streach of the Boondall wetlands trail is 8ks I know this cos it says 8ks to the next water stop well last time with a head wind we averaged 30kmph while with the tail wind we averaged 40kmph. Oh yeah they make a huge difference

Beauyboy