REC: Caribbean Rice and Beans

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jude, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Caribbean Rice and Beans (my additions in parenthesis)

    1 t olive oil
    1 chopped onion
    1 large jalapeno, seeded and minced
    1 1/2 c long-grain rice
    1 14-oz can unsweetened coconut milk, well shaken (I used TJ's "light"
    coconut milk)
    2/3 c water
    1 t salt
    1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed, or equivalent amount
    cooked dry beans
    hot sauce (I used about 1 t Tabasco)
    (garnishes: cilantro, chopped salted peanuts, scallions, chooped hard
    boiled egg)

    1. In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add onion and jalapeno and saute
    until translucent.

    2. Stir in rice and saute for 1 -2 minutes.

    3. Stir in coconut milk, salt, water and bring to a boil.

    4. Stir in the beans.

    5. Cover,r reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.

    6. Fluff rice with fork. Place a kitchen towel over the rice and put
    the lid back on. Let stand for 5 minutes. (I didn't find this necessary
    - there was no extra moisture than needed absorbing!)

    7. Stir in hot sauce to taste.

    (8. Top with garnishes as listed above.)

    (Next time, I''ll probably add some frozen peas into it as well,
    stirred in at the end.)

    Souce: Food and Wine magazine, May 2004

    I served this for dinner alongside a few TJs potstickers, a cold
    marinated asparagus and snow pea salad, and baked, teriyaki-marinated
    chicken (for BF) and tofu (for me and kiddo) with peanut sauce, and a
    salad with romaine, dried cherries, cucumber, red bell pepper and
    wonton strips, with orange-sesame dressing. Good stuff! Also pretty
    quick, cheap, and easy!

    Tags:

  2. **************************** I really hope u are from the Caribbean
    because I don't know any islander who cooks caribbean rice and
    peas*********************************honey and lime
    Jude wrote:
    > Caribbean Rice and Beans (my additions in parenthesis)
    >
    > 1 t olive oil
    > 1 chopped onion
    > 1 large jalapeno, seeded and minced
    > 1 1/2 c long-grain rice
    > 1 14-oz can unsweetened coconut milk, well shaken (I used TJ's "light"
    > coconut milk)
    > 2/3 c water
    > 1 t salt
    > 1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed, or equivalent amount
    > cooked dry beans
    > hot sauce (I used about 1 t Tabasco)
    > (garnishes: cilantro, chopped salted peanuts, scallions, chooped hard
    > boiled egg)
    >
    > 1. In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add onion and jalapeno and saute
    > until translucent.
    >
    > 2. Stir in rice and saute for 1 -2 minutes.
    >
    > 3. Stir in coconut milk, salt, water and bring to a boil.
    >
    > 4. Stir in the beans.
    >
    > 5. Cover,r reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
    >
    > 6. Fluff rice with fork. Place a kitchen towel over the rice and put
    > the lid back on. Let stand for 5 minutes. (I didn't find this necessary
    > - there was no extra moisture than needed absorbing!)
    >
    > 7. Stir in hot sauce to taste.
    >
    > (8. Top with garnishes as listed above.)
    >
    > (Next time, I''ll probably add some frozen peas into it as well,
    > stirred in at the end.)
    >
    > Souce: Food and Wine magazine, May 2004
    >
    > I served this for dinner alongside a few TJs potstickers, a cold
    > marinated asparagus and snow pea salad, and baked, teriyaki-marinated
    > chicken (for BF) and tofu (for me and kiddo) with peanut sauce, and a
    > salad with romaine, dried cherries, cucumber, red bell pepper and
    > wonton strips, with orange-sesame dressing. Good stuff! Also pretty
    > quick, cheap, and easy!

  3. Jude

    Jude Guest

    honey and lime wrote:
    > **************************** I really hope u are from the Caribbean
    > because I don't know any islander who cooks caribbean rice and

    Nope - I didn't name the recipe, either, just cooked it and ate it. If
    it's not authentic, feel free to re-name it. How about we call it
    Coconut Rice and Beans? As long as it tastes good and is reasonably
    healthy, that's what matters to me.