REC: Chicken & Dumplings (I'm NOT embarrassed)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Mar 19, 2005.

  1. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Jill's Chicken & Dumplings from when she was age 24

    3-1/2 chicken, cut up
    water to cover
    1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
    2 bay leaf
    2 carrots, chopped
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 cans cream of chicken soup
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    drop dumplings

    Place chicken pieces in a deep pot and cover well with water. Add the
    poultry seasoning, bay leaf, carrots, celery and onion. Bring to a boil and
    reduce heat. Simmer 45 minutes. Remove chicken to a platter and let cool.

    Let broth cool slightly; pour through a strainer into another pot. Chill
    the broth and skim the fat from the top. Put 3 c. broth back in the pan.
    You may need to add more later as needed. Whisk in cream of chicken soup
    and pepper and bring to a simmer, stirring to blend well.

    Meanwhile, remove the skin from cooked chicken and discard. Debone chicken,
    tearing into bite-sized pieces. Add to the simmering broth. Continue to
    simmer on low while you prepare the dumplings. Add more broth as needed;
    the dumplings will thicken it.

    Drop Dumplings

    4 Tbs. vegetable shortening
    2 c. all-purpose flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    3/4 c. salt
    1-1/2 c. milk (or non-fat buttermilk, even better!)

    Combine dry ingredients; cut the shortening in with a fork until mixture is
    crumbly. Add milk and stir until well mixed. Drop by teaspoonfuls into
    bubbling soup. Cook 10 minutes uncovered; cover and cook 10 minutes more.

    Jill
    --
    I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

    Tags:

  2. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Jill's Chicken & Dumplings from when she was age 24
    >
    >3-1/2 chicken, cut up
    >water to cover
    >1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
    >2 bay leaf
    >2 carrots, chopped
    >2 celery stalks, chopped
    >1 small onion, chopped
    >2 cans cream of chicken soup
    >1/2 tsp. black pepper
    >drop dumplings
    >
    > Place chicken pieces in a deep pot and cover well with water. Add the
    >poultry seasoning, bay leaf, carrots, celery and onion. Bring to a boil and
    >reduce heat. Simmer 45 minutes. Remove chicken to a platter and let cool.
    >
    >Let broth cool slightly; pour through a strainer into another pot. Chill
    >the broth and skim the fat from the top. Put 3 c. broth back in the pan.
    >You may need to add more later as needed. Whisk in cream of chicken soup
    >and pepper and bring to a simmer, stirring to blend well.
    >
    >Meanwhile, remove the skin from cooked chicken and discard. Debone chicken,
    >tearing into bite-sized pieces. Add to the simmering broth. Continue to
    >simmer on low while you prepare the dumplings. Add more broth as needed;
    >the dumplings will thicken it.
    >
    >Drop Dumplings

    OK, Jill. NO matter what you say, I won't marry you <G>. My wife's
    recipe is similar except that she uses real, rolled and sliced
    dumpings in hers. Drop dumplings are a satanic curse. Kidding, of
    course.
    >4 Tbs. vegetable shortening
    >2 c. all-purpose flour
    >2 tsp. baking powder
    >3/4 c. salt
    >1-1/2 c. milk (or non-fat buttermilk, even better!)
    >
    >Combine dry ingredients; cut the shortening in with a fork until mixture is
    >crumbly. Add milk and stir until well mixed. Drop by teaspoonfuls into
    >bubbling soup. Cook 10 minutes uncovered; cover and cook 10 minutes more.
    >
    >Jill
    >--
    >I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

  3. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    AlleyGator wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Jill's Chicken & Dumplings from when she was age 24
    >>
    >> 3-1/2 chicken, cut up
    >> water to cover
    >> 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
    >> 2 bay leaf
    >> 2 carrots, chopped
    >> 2 celery stalks, chopped
    >> 1 small onion, chopped
    >> 2 cans cream of chicken soup
    >> 1/2 tsp. black pepper
    >> drop dumplings
    >>
    >> Place chicken pieces in a deep pot and cover well with water. Add
    >> the poultry seasoning, bay leaf, carrots, celery and onion. Bring
    >> to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer 45 minutes. Remove chicken to a
    >> platter and let cool.
    >>
    >> Let broth cool slightly; pour through a strainer into another pot.
    >> Chill the broth and skim the fat from the top. Put 3 c. broth back
    >> in the pan. You may need to add more later as needed. Whisk in
    >> cream of chicken soup and pepper and bring to a simmer, stirring to
    >> blend well.
    >>
    >> Meanwhile, remove the skin from cooked chicken and discard. Debone
    >> chicken, tearing into bite-sized pieces. Add to the simmering
    >> broth. Continue to simmer on low while you prepare the dumplings.
    >> Add more broth as needed; the dumplings will thicken it.
    >>
    >> Drop Dumplings
    >>

    > OK, Jill. NO matter what you say, I won't marry you <G>.

    I still don't remember a proposal, but that's okay <G>

    My wife's
    > recipe is similar except that she uses real, rolled and sliced
    > dumpings in hers. Drop dumplings are a satanic curse. Kidding, of
    > course.

    LOL! I don't care for rolled dumplings and I'll tell you why. The only
    people I know who do rolled dumplings use canned biscuits rolled flat and
    cut into strips and rolled flat. I have nothing against canned biscuits, as
    biscuits.

    Jill

  4. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

  5. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    AlleyGator wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Jill, are you following me? <G>

    Yeah, I'm stalking you LOL

    Jill

  6. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >AlleyGator wrote:
    >> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Jill, are you following me? <G>

    >Yeah, I'm stalking you LOL
    >
    >Jill

    Oh, OK. I hope you find me <G>. psst - don't tell my wife.

  7. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >AlleyGator wrote:
    >> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Jill, are you following me? <G>

    >Yeah, I'm stalking you LOL
    >
    >Jill

    OK, I finally figured it out. My first crush in my entire life was in
    the 5th grade, and it was a girl named Jill. Today, she probably
    weighs 400 pounds, lives in a trailer park and has 12 kids. That's
    it. God, I need therapy. I can't ever speak to you again <G>.

  8. On Sat 19 Mar 2005 04:57:52p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > AlleyGator wrote:
    >> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Jill's Chicken & Dumplings from when she was age 24
    >>>
    >>> 3-1/2 chicken, cut up
    >>> water to cover
    >>> 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
    >>> 2 bay leaf
    >>> 2 carrots, chopped
    >>> 2 celery stalks, chopped
    >>> 1 small onion, chopped
    >>> 2 cans cream of chicken soup
    >>> 1/2 tsp. black pepper
    >>> drop dumplings
    >>>
    >>> Place chicken pieces in a deep pot and cover well with water. Add
    >>> the poultry seasoning, bay leaf, carrots, celery and onion. Bring
    >>> to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer 45 minutes. Remove chicken to a
    >>> platter and let cool.
    >>>
    >>> Let broth cool slightly; pour through a strainer into another pot.
    >>> Chill the broth and skim the fat from the top. Put 3 c. broth back
    >>> in the pan. You may need to add more later as needed. Whisk in
    >>> cream of chicken soup and pepper and bring to a simmer, stirring to
    >>> blend well.
    >>>
    >>> Meanwhile, remove the skin from cooked chicken and discard. Debone
    >>> chicken, tearing into bite-sized pieces. Add to the simmering
    >>> broth. Continue to simmer on low while you prepare the dumplings.
    >>> Add more broth as needed; the dumplings will thicken it.
    >>>
    >>> Drop Dumplings
    >>>

    >> OK, Jill. NO matter what you say, I won't marry you <G>.

    > I still don't remember a proposal, but that's okay <G>
    >
    > My wife's
    >> recipe is similar except that she uses real, rolled and sliced
    >> dumpings in hers. Drop dumplings are a satanic curse. Kidding, of
    >> course.

    > LOL! I don't care for rolled dumplings and I'll tell you why. The only
    > people I know who do rolled dumplings use canned biscuits rolled flat
    > and cut into strips and rolled flat. I have nothing against canned
    > biscuits, as biscuits.
    >
    > Jill

    I like both dropped and rolled dumplings, dropped with beef stew and rolled
    with chicken. I make both types of dumplings from scratch. Biscuits are
    biscuits, not dumplings.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  9. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    AlleyGator wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> AlleyGator wrote:
    >>> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> Jill, are you following me? <G>

    >> Yeah, I'm stalking you LOL
    >>
    >> Jill

    > OK, I finally figured it out. My first crush in my entire life was in
    > the 5th grade, and it was a girl named Jill. Today, she probably
    > weighs 400 pounds, lives in a trailer park and has 12 kids. That's
    > it. God, I need therapy. I can't ever speak to you again <G>.

    That's me!!!! Yep, I weigh 400 (actually 430) and waddle around with a corn
    dog in one hand dripping mustard and a slice of pizza in the other. I have
    pizza sauce and chicken & dumplings all down the front of my mumu. I'm
    pitiful as I waddle back to the trailer from the neighbor's trailer where I
    bummed the food since I cain't actually cook fer myself <G>

    Jill

  10. sf

    sf Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > AlleyGator wrote:
    > > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Jill's Chicken & Dumplings from when she was age 24
    > >>
    > >> 3-1/2 chicken, cut up
    > >> water to cover
    > >> 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
    > >> 2 bay leaf
    > >> 2 carrots, chopped
    > >> 2 celery stalks, chopped
    > >> 1 small onion, chopped
    > >> 2 cans cream of chicken soup
    > >> 1/2 tsp. black pepper
    > >> drop dumplings
    > >>
    > >> Place chicken pieces in a deep pot and cover well with water. Add
    > >> the poultry seasoning, bay leaf, carrots, celery and onion. Bring
    > >> to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer 45 minutes. Remove chicken to

    > >> platter and let cool.
    > >>
    > >> Let broth cool slightly; pour through a strainer into another pot.
    > >> Chill the broth and skim the fat from the top. Put 3 c. broth

    back
    > >> in the pan. You may need to add more later as needed. Whisk in
    > >> cream of chicken soup and pepper and bring to a simmer, stirring

    > >> blend well.
    > >>
    > >> Meanwhile, remove the skin from cooked chicken and discard.

    Debone
    > >> chicken, tearing into bite-sized pieces. Add to the simmering
    > >> broth. Continue to simmer on low while you prepare the dumplings.
    > >> Add more broth as needed; the dumplings will thicken it.
    > >>
    > >> Drop Dumplings
    > >>

    > > OK, Jill. NO matter what you say, I won't marry you <G>.

    > I still don't remember a proposal, but that's okay <G>
    >
    > My wife's
    > > recipe is similar except that she uses real, rolled and sliced
    > > dumpings in hers. Drop dumplings are a satanic curse. Kidding, of
    > > course.

    > LOL! I don't care for rolled dumplings and I'll tell you why. The

    only
    > people I know who do rolled dumplings use canned biscuits rolled flat

    and
    > cut into strips and rolled flat. I have nothing against canned

    biscuits, as
    > biscuits.

    This is the first time I've heard of "rolled and sliced" dumplings....
    and the use of canned biscuits was the only thing I could visualize.

  11. sf

    sf Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > AlleyGator wrote:
    > > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Jill's Chicken & Dumplings from when she was age 24
    > >>
    > >> 3-1/2 chicken, cut up
    > >> water to cover
    > >> 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
    > >> 2 bay leaf
    > >> 2 carrots, chopped
    > >> 2 celery stalks, chopped
    > >> 1 small onion, chopped
    > >> 2 cans cream of chicken soup
    > >> 1/2 tsp. black pepper
    > >> drop dumplings
    > >>
    > >> Place chicken pieces in a deep pot and cover well with water. Add
    > >> the poultry seasoning, bay leaf, carrots, celery and onion. Bring
    > >> to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer 45 minutes. Remove chicken to

    > >> platter and let cool.
    > >>
    > >> Let broth cool slightly; pour through a strainer into another pot.
    > >> Chill the broth and skim the fat from the top. Put 3 c. broth

    back
    > >> in the pan. You may need to add more later as needed. Whisk in
    > >> cream of chicken soup and pepper and bring to a simmer, stirring

    > >> blend well.
    > >>
    > >> Meanwhile, remove the skin from cooked chicken and discard.

    Debone
    > >> chicken, tearing into bite-sized pieces. Add to the simmering
    > >> broth. Continue to simmer on low while you prepare the dumplings.
    > >> Add more broth as needed; the dumplings will thicken it.
    > >>
    > >> Drop Dumplings
    > >>

    > > OK, Jill. NO matter what you say, I won't marry you <G>.

    > I still don't remember a proposal, but that's okay <G>
    >
    > My wife's
    > > recipe is similar except that she uses real, rolled and sliced
    > > dumpings in hers. Drop dumplings are a satanic curse. Kidding, of
    > > course.

    > LOL! I don't care for rolled dumplings and I'll tell you why. The

    only
    > people I know who do rolled dumplings use canned biscuits rolled flat

    and
    > cut into strips and rolled flat. I have nothing against canned

    biscuits, as
    > biscuits.

    This is the first time I've heard of "rolled and sliced" dumplings....
    and the use of canned biscuits was the only thing I could visualize.

  12. sf

    sf Guest

    Would you please post the recipe for rolled and dropped and email it to
    me? This thread is the first time I've heard of the concept.

    sf
    reading and posting from google (not fun) until my new computer arrives

    ````````````````

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Sat 19 Mar 2005 04:57:52p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >
    > > AlleyGator wrote:

    Add

    Bring

    pot.

    back

    Debone

    dumplings.

    > >> OK, Jill. NO matter what you say, I won't marry you <G>.

    > > I still don't remember a proposal, but that's okay <G>
    > >
    > > My wife's
    > >> recipe is similar except that she uses real, rolled and sliced
    > >> dumpings in hers. Drop dumplings are a satanic curse. Kidding,

    of
    > >> course.

    > > LOL! I don't care for rolled dumplings and I'll tell you why. The

    only
    > > people I know who do rolled dumplings use canned biscuits rolled

    flat
    > > and cut into strips and rolled flat. I have nothing against canned
    > > biscuits, as biscuits.
    > >
    > > Jill

    > I like both dropped and rolled dumplings, dropped with beef stew and

    rolled
    > with chicken. I make both types of dumplings from scratch. Biscuits

    are
    > biscuits, not dumplings.
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright
    >
    > Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    > Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  13. sf

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Sat 19 Mar 2005 04:57:52p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >
    > > AlleyGator wrote:

    Add

    Bring

    pot.

    back

    Debone

    dumplings.

    > >> OK, Jill. NO matter what you say, I won't marry you <G>.

    > > I still don't remember a proposal, but that's okay <G>
    > >
    > > My wife's
    > >> recipe is similar except that she uses real, rolled and sliced
    > >> dumpings in hers. Drop dumplings are a satanic curse. Kidding,

    of
    > >> course.

    > > LOL! I don't care for rolled dumplings and I'll tell you why. The

    only
    > > people I know who do rolled dumplings use canned biscuits rolled

    flat
    > > and cut into strips and rolled flat. I have nothing against canned
    > > biscuits, as biscuits.
    > >
    > > Jill

    > I like both dropped and rolled dumplings, dropped with beef stew and

    rolled
    > with chicken. I make both types of dumplings from scratch. Biscuits

    are
    > biscuits, not dumplings.
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright
    >
    > Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    > Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  14. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Would you please post the recipe for rolled and dropped and email it to
    >me? This thread is the first time I've heard of the concept.

    Rolled Dumplings
    2 eggs
    3 cups flour
    1 tsp salt
    Mix some of your broth into it to make a dough. (Not very specific,
    but I can't tell you the amount) Roll out (thicker than noodles) and
    cut into 1 inch wide strips of desired length, about 3 inches. Toss
    into your seasoned broth with whatever vegetables you decided to use,
    cook till al dente, add cooked chicken (previously cooked in the
    broth), heat through.

  15. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    sf wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >> AlleyGator wrote:

    >> My wife's
    >>> recipe is similar except that she uses real, rolled and sliced
    >>> dumpings in hers. Drop dumplings are a satanic curse. Kidding, of
    >>> course.

    >> LOL! I don't care for rolled dumplings and I'll tell you why. The
    >> only people I know who do rolled dumplings use canned biscuits
    >> rolled flat and cut into strips and rolled flat. I have nothing
    >> against canned biscuits, as biscuits.
    >>

    > This is the first time I've heard of "rolled and sliced" dumplings....
    > and the use of canned biscuits was the only thing I could visualize.

    The use of the canned biscuit dough for rolled dumplings isn't bad, really.
    But I prefer "fluffy" dumplings and the rolled ones (from canned biscuits or
    not) come out kinda gooey.

    Jill

  16. aem

    aem Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > The use of the canned biscuit dough for rolled dumplings isn't bad,
    > really. [snip]

    Yes, it is. Making good dumplings that are fluffy while still having
    texture and taste is not easy. When the shortcut, like canned
    biscuits, turns out to be inadequate, we just have to try harder to
    learn how to make the real McCoy. I knew a grandmother-type whose
    homemade egg noodles and homemade dumplings turned a chicken stew into
    food for the gods. I've tried many times and have never approached her
    skill. I think she grew up on a farm in Kansas or Nebraska--that's my
    excuse, anyway. -aem

  17. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    aem wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >>
    >> The use of the canned biscuit dough for rolled dumplings isn't bad,
    >> really. [snip]

    > Yes, it is. Making good dumplings that are fluffy while still having
    > texture and taste is not easy.

    Ah, I did say I like fluffy (read Drop) dumplings. The canned biscuits were
    used by a friend of mine to make rolled dumplings.

    When the shortcut, like canned
    > biscuits, turns out to be inadequate, we just have to try harder to
    > learn how to make the real McCoy. I knew a grandmother-type whose
    > homemade egg noodles and homemade dumplings turned a chicken stew into
    > food for the gods. I've tried many times and have never approached
    > her skill. I think she grew up on a farm in Kansas or
    > Nebraska--that's my excuse, anyway. -aem

    LOL Kansas or Nebraska are famous for dumplings? ;) Betcha her mother or
    grandmother taught her how to make them.

    Jill

  18. Now this is home made pasta. Ain't American usage interesting! My
    maternal grandmother learned to cook in her native Kentucky and used
    the word 'dumpling' in two ways. Chicken n' dumplings was chicken,
    onion, carrots, etc topped with what were essentialy light biscuits and
    cooked in the oven so the top was lightly browned. The other was apple
    dumplings which were whole, spiced, peeled and cored apples baked in a
    wrapper of pie crust. Both were memorable.

    D.M.

    Sure, but I can't until tomorrow.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  20. Steve Pope

    Steve Pope Guest

    While we're on the subject, is there any way to make
    dumplings using whole wheat flour and have them
    come out acceptably??

    I want organic chicken and whole wheat dumplings, dammit.

    S.