REC: Chicken & Dumplings (I'm NOT embarrassed)

On Sun 20 Mar 2005 08:33:04p, Steve Pope wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> While we're on the subject, is there any way to make
> dumplings using whole wheat flour and have them
> come out acceptably??
>
> I want organic chicken and whole wheat dumplings, dammit.
>
> S.

Dunno, really, but there is a "white" whole wheat flour that performs very
nearly like all-purpose flour, and there is whole wheat pastry flour.
Those might work. Regular whole wheat flour would probably be quite heavy
and perhaps even "gluey".

I found this recipe from Green Mountain Ranch, but I can't vouch for how
acceptable it would be.

Chicken and Whole Wheat Dumplings

One large stewing chicken
8 white peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 teas. Thyme
6 whole cloves
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 diced onion
3 ribs of diced celery
1 diced carrot

Place the chicken, herbs, and vegetables in a large pot and cover with
water. Boil until the meat falls off the bones.

Strain, remove meat from bones, and add chicken bullion cubes until the
stock starts to taste salty. (Don't worry-the meat and dumplings absorb
some of the salt). Thicken the stock into a light gravy with corn starch
(start with 1/4 cup starch mixed with cold water-add and bring to a boil.
Add more of the corn starch mix if necessary). Add the de-boned chicken.
Make dumplings:

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 teas. double acting baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
1/4 cup egg beaters or one Omega 3 egg
1/4 cup skim milk

Sift together dry ingredients. Mix together egg beaters and skim milk and
slowly add to the dry ingredients. You may also add 1/4 cup chopped parsley
or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (I use fresh basil) or 1 tablespoon of
green onions.

Dip a tablespoon into the stock, then spoon dumplings into simmering
thickened stock. The dumplings should be barely touching. Cover and simmer
5 minutes. Turn them and cook an additional five minutes. Serve
immediately.

HTH
--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Ah, I did say I like fluffy (read Drop) dumplings. The canned biscuits were
>used by a friend of mine to make rolled dumplings.

I dunno how to explain it Jill, but the rolled ones my wife makes are
sorta firm and sorta "fluffly" at the same time. I guess it's just
timing, because unlike a lot of "pot" meals, they''re not as good
second time around.