REC: Chicken & Dumplings (I'm NOT embarrassed)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Mar 19, 2005.

  1. On Sun 20 Mar 2005 08:33:04p, Steve Pope wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > While we're on the subject, is there any way to make
    > dumplings using whole wheat flour and have them
    > come out acceptably??
    >
    > I want organic chicken and whole wheat dumplings, dammit.
    >
    > S.

    Dunno, really, but there is a "white" whole wheat flour that performs very
    nearly like all-purpose flour, and there is whole wheat pastry flour.
    Those might work. Regular whole wheat flour would probably be quite heavy
    and perhaps even "gluey".

    I found this recipe from Green Mountain Ranch, but I can't vouch for how
    acceptable it would be.

    Chicken and Whole Wheat Dumplings

    One large stewing chicken
    8 white peppercorns
    1 bay leaf
    1 teas. Thyme
    6 whole cloves
    1 tablespoon chopped parsley
    1 diced onion
    3 ribs of diced celery
    1 diced carrot

    Place the chicken, herbs, and vegetables in a large pot and cover with
    water. Boil until the meat falls off the bones.

    Strain, remove meat from bones, and add chicken bullion cubes until the
    stock starts to taste salty. (Don't worry-the meat and dumplings absorb
    some of the salt). Thicken the stock into a light gravy with corn starch
    (start with 1/4 cup starch mixed with cold water-add and bring to a boil.
    Add more of the corn starch mix if necessary). Add the de-boned chicken.
    Make dumplings:

    1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    2 teas. double acting baking powder
    1/2 teas. salt
    1/4 cup egg beaters or one Omega 3 egg
    1/4 cup skim milk

    Sift together dry ingredients. Mix together egg beaters and skim milk and
    slowly add to the dry ingredients. You may also add 1/4 cup chopped parsley
    or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (I use fresh basil) or 1 tablespoon of
    green onions.

    Dip a tablespoon into the stock, then spoon dumplings into simmering
    thickened stock. The dumplings should be barely touching. Cover and simmer
    5 minutes. Turn them and cook an additional five minutes. Serve
    immediately.

    HTH
    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  2. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Ah, I did say I like fluffy (read Drop) dumplings. The canned biscuits were
    >used by a friend of mine to make rolled dumplings.

    I dunno how to explain it Jill, but the rolled ones my wife makes are
    sorta firm and sorta "fluffly" at the same time. I guess it's just
    timing, because unlike a lot of "pot" meals, they''re not as good
    second time around.