REC: Chicken with ginger and green onion salt dip

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Karen MacInerney, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. Since I'm always looking for ways to 'feast on the remains' (a.k.a. eat
    leftovers that aren't cold and gross), I thought I'd pass this little
    discovery on. I tried it when we had leftovers from roast chicken...
    and wow! Hubby and I devoured it. Simple, quick, and really, really
    good...

    Chicken with Ginger and Green Onion Salt Dip (from Cooking Light, Aug.
    2004 Issue)

    1/4 cup minced green onions
    2 T grated peeled fresh ginger
    2.5 T vegetable oil
    1.5 t kosher salt (or sea salt -- I would cut it back a bit and add
    more if needed)
    3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (I used what I had, which
    included dark meat)
    2 cups hot cooked rice

    Combine first four ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
    Arranged chicken over rice; serve with dip. (I boiled up some edamame
    to go on the side, and some cut up fruit.)

    Karen MacInerney
    Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
    www.karenmacinerney.com

    Tags:

  2. "Karen MacInerney" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Since I'm always looking for ways to 'feast on the remains' (a.k.a. eat
    > leftovers that aren't cold and gross), I thought I'd pass this little
    > discovery on. I tried it when we had leftovers from roast chicken...
    > and wow! Hubby and I devoured it. Simple, quick, and really, really
    > good...

    <recipe snipped and saved>

    Sounds excellent and what a great way to use left over chicken. I'll bet
    it would be really good with left over grilled chicken too.

    Michael

    --
    Pics aren't great but here are 2 of my 4 brats.
    Hoot about to snatch the snack out of my mouth:

    Ramsey ever curious about electronics breaking into the TMobile bag:
    http://tinypic.com/jtrwgn.jpg

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Karen MacInerney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Since I'm always looking for ways to 'feast on the remains' (a.k.a. eat
    > leftovers that aren't cold and gross), I thought I'd pass this little
    > discovery on. I tried it when we had leftovers from roast chicken...
    > and wow! Hubby and I devoured it. Simple, quick, and really, really
    > good...
    >
    > Chicken with Ginger and Green Onion Salt Dip (from Cooking Light, Aug.
    > 2004 Issue)
    >
    > 1/4 cup minced green onions
    > 2 T grated peeled fresh ginger
    > 2.5 T vegetable oil
    > 1.5 t kosher salt (or sea salt -- I would cut it back a bit and add
    > more if needed)
    > 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (I used what I had, which
    > included dark meat)
    > 2 cups hot cooked rice
    >
    > Combine first four ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
    > Arranged chicken over rice; serve with dip. (I boiled up some edamame
    > to go on the side, and some cut up fruit.)

    So,...did you use the rice as a dip, or as a sauce? Can't quite picture
    eating something over rice w/ a dip...do you just dip a forkful at a time?
    What did CL suggest dipping in it? IT sounds good, though that's a lot of
    ginger.

  4. Chris wrote:
    > So,...did you use the rice as a dip, or as a sauce? Can't quite picture
    > eating something over rice w/ a dip...do you just dip a forkful at a time?
    > What did CL suggest dipping in it? IT sounds good, though that's a lot of
    > ginger.

    Chris,

    I piled the chicken on the rice, then put some of the dip on top of
    that. When I made it, I put the dip, rice, and chicken all in separate
    bowls on the table: scoop of rice, a few forkfuls of chicken, and then
    dip on top of that. (Which, come to think of it, is what the photo in
    the magazine shows.) The recipe is supposed to serve 4, so if you use
    half a cup of rice and 3/4 cup chicken, you use 2 T dip. I tend to use
    more rice than chicken, but that's me.

    It sounds like strong stuff, but it's great; the chicken and rice are a
    great 'bland' foil for it.

  5. Chris wrote:
    > So,...did you use the rice as a dip, or as a sauce? Can't quite picture
    > eating something over rice w/ a dip...do you just dip a forkful at a time?
    > What did CL suggest dipping in it? IT sounds good, though that's a lot of
    > ginger.

    Chris,

    I piled the chicken on the rice, then put some of the dip on top of
    that. When I made it, I put the dip, rice, and chicken all in separate
    bowls on the table: scoop of rice, a few forkfuls of chicken, and then
    dip on top of that. (Which, come to think of it, is what the photo in
    the magazine shows.) The recipe is supposed to serve 4, so if you use
    half a cup of rice and 3/4 cup chicken, you use 2 T dip. I tend to use
    more rice than chicken, but that's me.

    It sounds like strong stuff, but it's great; the chicken and rice are a
    great 'bland' foil for it.

    Karen MacInerney
    Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
    www.karenmacinerney.com

  6. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Karen MacInerney wrote:

    > Since I'm always looking for ways to 'feast on the remains' (a.k.a. eat
    > leftovers that aren't cold and gross), I thought I'd pass this little
    > discovery on. I tried it when we had leftovers from roast chicken...
    > and wow! Hubby and I devoured it. Simple, quick, and really, really
    > good...

    It's based on a Chinese recipe. Add some minced garlic, skip the veg oil
    and use a little chicken broth for a better dip.

    > Chicken with Ginger and Green Onion Salt Dip (from Cooking Light, Aug.
    > 2004 Issue)
    >
    > 1/4 cup minced green onions
    > 2 T grated peeled fresh ginger
    > 2.5 T vegetable oil
    > 1.5 t kosher salt (or sea salt -- I would cut it back a bit and add
    > more if needed)
    > 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (I used what I had, which
    > included dark meat)
    > 2 cups hot cooked rice
    >
    > Combine first four ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
    > Arranged chicken over rice; serve with dip. (I boiled up some edamame
    > to go on the side, and some cut up fruit.)
    >
    > Karen MacInerney
    > Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
    > www.karenmacinerney.com

  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Karen MacInerney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Chris wrote:
    >> So,...did you use the rice as a dip, or as a sauce? Can't quite picture
    >> eating something over rice w/ a dip...do you just dip a forkful at a
    >> time?
    >> What did CL suggest dipping in it? IT sounds good, though that's a lot
    >> of
    >> ginger.

    > Chris,
    >
    > I piled the chicken on the rice, then put some of the dip on top of
    > that. When I made it, I put the dip, rice, and chicken all in separate
    > bowls on the table: scoop of rice, a few forkfuls of chicken, and then
    > dip on top of that. (Which, come to think of it, is what the photo in
    > the magazine shows.) The recipe is supposed to serve 4, so if you use
    > half a cup of rice and 3/4 cup chicken, you use 2 T dip. I tend to use
    > more rice than chicken, but that's me.
    >
    > It sounds like strong stuff, but it's great; the chicken and rice are a
    > great 'bland' foil for it.

    Hmm. Will have to try it. We have half a chicken leftover from Tuesday's
    dinner; if I can get out for the green onion and ginger, I can give it this
    dip a test run at lunch someday this week.

    Tonight's chicken (well, I guess last night's chicken, since I'm writing at
    1:30 a.m.) was really good. I roasted a butterflied chicken, which I've
    never done before. Sometimes my roast chickens never get fully cooked (or
    else -- dry in the breast, undercooked in the legs), so I decided to try
    butterflying it this time. It cooked quickly and evenly, and was very juicy
    with nice crispy skin. A winner!

    Thanks for the recipe and description. I will have to look back through my
    old Cooking Light magazines to see if I have that one (sometimes I get tired
    of magazines and unsubscribe for a while).

    Chris