REC: devilled crab salad - need point calculation

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Skiur, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Devilled Crab Salad 1 lb crab meat
    3/4 tsp cajun seasoning 1 tbsp old bay seasoning 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
    4/2 cup chopped peppers
    5/2 cup chopped onion
    6/4 cup chopped celery 6 tbsp fat free sour cream 2 tbsp butter or use cooking spray although I'd
    stick with the butter.

    Open can of crab, check for shells, set aside. Sautee pepper, onion, celery in butter until soft.
    Add veggies and other seasonings to crab meat and
    mix.

    This salad is best served warm and I haven't figured out what to serve it with other than
    celery sticks.

    I don't have a point count on this, so if someone can provide it that would be great.

    Tags:

  2. Betty Boop

    Betty Boop Guest

    Thanks for posting the recipe, I will try it soon as I need some variety in our meals.. Betty

    "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Devilled Crab Salad 1 lb crab meat
    > 3/4 tsp cajun seasoning 1 tbsp old bay seasoning 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
    > 1/2 cup chopped peppers
    > 1/2 cup chopped onion
    > 1/4 cup chopped celery 6 tbsp fat free sour cream 2 tbsp butter or use cooking spray although I'd
    > stick with the butter.
    >
    > Open can of crab, check for shells, set aside. Sautee pepper, onion,
    celery
    > in butter until soft. Add veggies and other seasonings to crab meat and
    > mix.
    >
    > This salad is best served warm and I haven't figured out what to serve it with other than
    > celery sticks.
    >
    > I don't have a point count on this, so if someone can provide it that
    would
    > be great.

  3. That sounds wonderful! I'll have to try it. Using my nutrition counter & points calculator, I came
    up with 4 points for 1 cup of crab meat. Not sure how many cups 1 lb would be.

    --
    Donna in Idaho Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/

    Remove "invalid" to reply

    "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Devilled Crab Salad 1 lb crab meat
    > 3/4 tsp cajun seasoning 1 tbsp old bay seasoning 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
    > 1/2 cup chopped peppers
    > 1/2 cup chopped onion
    > 1/4 cup chopped celery 6 tbsp fat free sour cream 2 tbsp butter or use cooking spray although I'd
    > stick with the butter.
    >
    > Open can of crab, check for shells, set aside. Sautee pepper, onion,
    celery
    > in butter until soft. Add veggies and other seasonings to crab meat and
    > mix.
    >
    > This salad is best served warm and I haven't figured out what to serve it with other than
    > celery sticks.
    >
    > I don't have a point count on this, so if someone can provide it that
    would
    > be great.

  4. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Good ol' mastercook to the rescue. <G> I have no idea as to how many servings this makes, so my
    point count is for the entire recipe.

    Using butter to cook your veggies, it comes out to: 773 calories, 29g fat, 3g fiber = 17.28
    US points.

    Using the spray instead of butter: 569 cals/6g fat/3g fiber = 11.28 points.

    Hope this is what you were looking for.

    Joyce

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 21:17:42 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Devilled Crab Salad 1 lb crab meat
    >3/4 tsp cajun seasoning 1 tbsp old bay seasoning 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
    >1/2 cup chopped peppers
    >1/2 cup chopped onion
    >1/4 cup chopped celery 6 tbsp fat free sour cream 2 tbsp butter or use cooking spray although I'd
    > stick with the butter.
    >
    >Open can of crab, check for shells, set aside. Sautee pepper, onion, celery in butter until soft.
    >Add veggies and other seasonings to crab meat and
    >mix.
    >
    >This salad is best served warm and I haven't figured out what to serve it with other than
    >celery sticks.
    >
    >I don't have a point count on this, so if someone can provide it that would be great.

  5. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    according to the packages I have in the freezer. If it's lump crab meat 2oz
    = 45 calories. If the crab meat is from the leg portion then it's 3 0z =
    100 cal. To be honest, I didn't think there was a difference in crab meat.

    If anyone knows the difference please share their knowledge.

    Julie

    "Donna in Idaho (remove invalid)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > That sounds wonderful! I'll have to try it. Using my nutrition counter & points calculator, I came
    > up with 4 points for 1 cup of crab meat. Not
    sure
    > how many cups 1 lb would be.
    >
    > --
    > Donna in Idaho Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/
    >
    > Remove "invalid" to reply
    >

    > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Devilled Crab Salad 1 lb crab meat
    > > 3/4 tsp cajun seasoning 1 tbsp old bay seasoning 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
    > > 1/2 cup chopped peppers
    > > 1/2 cup chopped onion
    > > 1/4 cup chopped celery 6 tbsp fat free sour cream 2 tbsp butter or use cooking spray although
    > > I'd stick with the butter.
    > >
    > > Open can of crab, check for shells, set aside. Sautee pepper, onion,
    > celery
    > > in butter until soft. Add veggies and other seasonings to crab meat and
    > > mix.
    > >
    > > This salad is best served warm and I haven't figured out what to serve
    it
    > > with other than celery sticks.
    > >
    > > I don't have a point count on this, so if someone can provide it that
    > would
    > > be great.

  6. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    according to the packages I have in the freezer. If it's lump crab meat 2oz
    = 45 calories. If the crab meat is from the leg portion then it's 3 0z =
    100 cal. To be honest, I didn't think there was a difference in crab meat.

    If anyone knows the difference please share their knowledge.

    Julie

    "Donna in Idaho (remove invalid)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > That sounds wonderful! I'll have to try it. Using my nutrition counter & points calculator, I came
    > up with 4 points for 1 cup of crab meat. Not
    sure
    > how many cups 1 lb would be.
    >
    > --
    > Donna in Idaho Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/
    >
    > Remove "invalid" to reply
    >

    > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Devilled Crab Salad 1 lb crab meat
    > > 3/4 tsp cajun seasoning 1 tbsp old bay seasoning 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
    > > 1/2 cup chopped peppers
    > > 1/2 cup chopped onion
    > > 1/4 cup chopped celery 6 tbsp fat free sour cream 2 tbsp butter or use cooking spray although
    > > I'd stick with the butter.
    > >
    > > Open can of crab, check for shells, set aside. Sautee pepper, onion,
    > celery
    > > in butter until soft. Add veggies and other seasonings to crab meat and
    > > mix.
    > >
    > > This salad is best served warm and I haven't figured out what to serve
    it
    > > with other than celery sticks.
    > >
    > > I don't have a point count on this, so if someone can provide it that
    > would
    > > be great.

  7. not sure about the points either but served in a pita with sprouts stuffed
    in there would be nice, along with a tomato/fetta cold salad maybe
    skiur <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Devilled Crab Salad 1 lb crab meat
    > 3/4 tsp cajun seasoning 1 tbsp old bay seasoning 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
    > 1/2 cup chopped peppers
    > 1/2 cup chopped onion
    > 1/4 cup chopped celery 6 tbsp fat free sour cream 2 tbsp butter or use cooking spray although I'd
    > stick with the butter.
    >
    > Open can of crab, check for shells, set aside. Sautee pepper, onion,
    celery
    > in butter until soft. Add veggies and other seasonings to crab meat and
    > mix.
    >
    > This salad is best served warm and I haven't figured out what to serve it with other than
    > celery sticks.
    >
    > I don't have a point count on this, so if someone can provide it that
    would
    > be great.

  8. Laura

    Laura Guest

    Saved for future reference. Sounds yummy to me. I'm going to save this for one of our many
    summer parties.

    "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Devilled Crab Salad 1 lb crab meat
    > 3/4 tsp cajun seasoning 1 tbsp old bay seasoning 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
    > 1/2 cup chopped peppers
    > 1/2 cup chopped onion
    > 1/4 cup chopped celery 6 tbsp fat free sour cream 2 tbsp butter or use cooking spray although I'd
    > stick with the butter.
    >
    > Open can of crab, check for shells, set aside. Sautee pepper, onion,
    celery
    > in butter until soft. Add veggies and other seasonings to crab meat and
    > mix.
    >
    > This salad is best served warm and I haven't figured out what to serve it with other than
    > celery sticks.
    >
    > I don't have a point count on this, so if someone can provide it that
    would
    > be great.

  9. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    That's a pretty "cheap" recipe for points because it's like 3 packed cups of
    food. That's good to know :) Thank you Joyce and mastercook.

    "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Good ol' mastercook to the rescue. <G> I have no idea as to how many
    servings
    > this makes, so my point count is for the entire recipe.
    >
    > Using butter to cook your veggies, it comes out to: 773 calories, 29g
    fat, 3g
    > fiber = 17.28 US points.
    >
    > Using the spray instead of butter: 569 cals/6g fat/3g fiber = 11.28
    points.

    > Hope this is what you were looking for.
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 21:17:42 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Devilled Crab Salad 1 lb crab meat
    > >3/4 tsp cajun seasoning 1 tbsp old bay seasoning 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
    > >1/2 cup chopped peppers
    > >1/2 cup chopped onion
    > >1/4 cup chopped celery 6 tbsp fat free sour cream 2 tbsp butter or use cooking spray although I'd
    > > stick with the butter.
    > >
    > >Open can of crab, check for shells, set aside. Sautee pepper, onion,
    celery
    > >in butter until soft. Add veggies and other seasonings to crab meat and
    > >mix.
    > >
    > >This salad is best served warm and I haven't figured out what to serve it with other than celery
    > >sticks.
    > >
    > >I don't have a point count on this, so if someone can provide it that
    would
    > >be great.

  10. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    If you add a bit more sour cream to get it to get it to stick, you can stuff it in celery sticks
    (the wider ones) or serve it on cucumber slices.

    It is yummy, just remember to use TEASPOON measurements for the cajun seasoning (I used a tablespoon
    of it last time and it made my eyes water, dh loved it-go figure.)

    "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > Saved for future reference. Sounds yummy to me. I'm going to save this for one of our many summer
    > parties.
    >
    > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Devilled Crab Salad 1 lb crab meat
    > > 3/4 tsp cajun seasoning 1 tbsp old bay seasoning 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
    > > 1/2 cup chopped peppers
    > > 1/2 cup chopped onion
    > > 1/4 cup chopped celery 6 tbsp fat free sour cream 2 tbsp butter or use cooking spray although
    > > I'd stick with the butter.
    > >
    > > Open can of crab, check for shells, set aside. Sautee pepper, onion,
    > celery
    > > in butter until soft. Add veggies and other seasonings to crab meat and
    > > mix.
    > >
    > > This salad is best served warm and I haven't figured out what to serve
    it
    > > with other than celery sticks.
    > >
    > > I don't have a point count on this, so if someone can provide it that
    > would
    > > be great.

  11. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    You're very welcome! I love the mastercook program. Is relatively inexpensive (think around $10-$15)
    and very easy to use, once I figured out how to enter in specific foods and nutrients. It gives all
    the nutritional info you could imagine. This is one program I use daily, am constantly tweaking our
    old family favorites into much healthier versions.

    Joyce

    On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 21:52:17 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That's a pretty "cheap" recipe for points because it's like 3 packed cups of food. That's good to
    >know :) Thank you Joyce and mastercook.
    >

    >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Good ol' mastercook to the rescue. <G> I have no idea as to how many
    >servings
    >> this makes, so my point count is for the entire recipe.
    >>
    >> Using butter to cook your veggies, it comes out to: 773 calories, 29g
    >fat, 3g
    >> fiber = 17.28 US points.
    >>
    >> Using the spray instead of butter: 569 cals/6g fat/3g fiber = 11.28
    >points.
    >>
    >> Hope this is what you were looking for.
    >>
    >> Joyce
    >>
    >> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 21:17:42 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >> >Devilled Crab Salad 1 lb crab meat
    >> >3/4 tsp cajun seasoning 1 tbsp old bay seasoning 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
    >> >1/2 cup chopped peppers
    >> >1/2 cup chopped onion
    >> >1/4 cup chopped celery 6 tbsp fat free sour cream 2 tbsp butter or use cooking spray although
    >> > I'd stick with the butter.
    >> >
    >> >Open can of crab, check for shells, set aside. Sautee pepper, onion,
    >celery
    >> >in butter until soft. Add veggies and other seasonings to crab meat and
    >> >mix.
    >> >
    >> >This salad is best served warm and I haven't figured out what to serve it with other than celery
    >> >sticks.
    >> >
    >> >I don't have a point count on this, so if someone can provide it that
    >would
    >> >be great.

  12. Laura

    Laura Guest

    Thanks for the warning. I probably would have goofed too. I might try it with low fat plain yogart
    to see if that tastes okay. It would lower the points too.

    "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > If you add a bit more sour cream to get it to get it to stick, you can
    stuff
    > it in celery sticks (the wider ones) or serve it on cucumber slices.
    >
    > It is yummy, just remember to use TEASPOON measurements for the cajun seasoning (I used a
    > tablespoon of it last time and it made my eyes water,
    dh
    > loved it-go figure.)
    >
    > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > > Saved for future reference. Sounds yummy to me. I'm going to save this
    for
    > > one of our many summer parties.
    > >
    > > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > >

    > > > Devilled Crab Salad 1 lb crab meat
    > > > 3/4 tsp cajun seasoning 1 tbsp old bay seasoning 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
    > > > 1/2 cup chopped peppers
    > > > 1/2 cup chopped onion
    > > > 1/4 cup chopped celery 6 tbsp fat free sour cream 2 tbsp butter or use cooking spray although
    > > > I'd stick with the butter.
    > > >
    > > > Open can of crab, check for shells, set aside. Sautee pepper, onion,
    > > celery
    > > > in butter until soft. Add veggies and other seasonings to crab meat
    and
    > > > mix.
    > > >
    > > > This salad is best served warm and I haven't figured out what to serve
    > it
    > > > with other than celery sticks.
    > > >
    > > > I don't have a point count on this, so if someone can provide it that
    > > would
    > > > be great.

  13. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    A friend of mine has is and loves it. I haven't been able to find it anywhere when I've
    looked casually.

    Julie "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > You're very welcome! I love the mastercook program. Is relatively
    inexpensive
    > (think around $10-$15) and very easy to use, once I figured out how to
    enter in
    > specific foods and nutrients. It gives all the nutritional info you could imagine. This is one
    > program I use daily, am constantly tweaking our old
    family
    > favorites into much healthier versions.
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 21:52:17 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >That's a pretty "cheap" recipe for points because it's like 3 packed cups
    of
    > >food. That's good to know :) Thank you Joyce and mastercook.
    > >

    > >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> Good ol' mastercook to the rescue. <G> I have no idea as to how many
    > >servings
    > >> this makes, so my point count is for the entire recipe.
    > >>
    > >> Using butter to cook your veggies, it comes out to: 773 calories, 29g
    > >fat, 3g
    > >> fiber = 17.28 US points.
    > >>
    > >> Using the spray instead of butter: 569 cals/6g fat/3g fiber = 11.28
    > >points.
    > >>
    > >> Hope this is what you were looking for.
    > >>
    > >> Joyce

    > >celery

    > >would

  14. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    even lower than fat free sour cream?

    "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > Thanks for the warning. I probably would have goofed too. I might try it with low fat plain yogart
    > to see if that tastes okay. It would lower the points too.
    >
    > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > If you add a bit more sour cream to get it to get it to stick, you can
    > stuff
    > > it in celery sticks (the wider ones) or serve it on cucumber slices.
    > >
    > > It is yummy, just remember to use TEASPOON measurements for the cajun seasoning (I used a
    > > tablespoon of it last time and it made my eyes
    water,
    > dh
    > > loved it-go figure.)
    > >
    > > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > > > Saved for future reference. Sounds yummy to me. I'm going to save this
    > for
    > > > one of our many summer parties.

    butter.

    > > > celery
    > and

    > > it

    > > > would

  15. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    hehehe, I just happen to have the website bookmarked. I should get something from them for pushing
    their product. <G> Here ya go, if you are interested.

    http://www.valusoft.com/products/mastercook.html

    I haven't checked in awhile, but I believe ebay also normally has tons up for auction, is where I
    purchased my latest copy.

    Joyce

    On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:03:40 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A friend of mine has is and loves it. I haven't been able to find it anywhere when I've looked
    >casually.
    >
    >Julie "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> You're very welcome! I love the mastercook program. Is relatively
    >inexpensive
    >> (think around $10-$15) and very easy to use, once I figured out how to
    >enter in
    >> specific foods and nutrients. It gives all the nutritional info you could imagine. This is one
    >> program I use daily, am constantly tweaking our old
    >family
    >> favorites into much healthier versions.
    >>
    >> Joyce
    >>
    >> On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 21:52:17 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >That's a pretty "cheap" recipe for points because it's like 3 packed cups
    >of
    >> >food. That's good to know :) Thank you Joyce and mastercook.

    >> >servings

    >> >fat, 3g

    >> >points.

    >> >celery
    >and

    >it

    >> >would

  16. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Thanks for the link. I'll look into it.

    "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > hehehe, I just happen to have the website bookmarked. I should get
    something
    > from them for pushing their product. <G> Here ya go, if you are
    interested.

    > http://www.valusoft.com/products/mastercook.html
    >
    > I haven't checked in awhile, but I believe ebay also normally has tons up
    for
    > auction, is where I purchased my latest copy.
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:03:40 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >A friend of mine has is and loves it. I haven't been able to find it anywhere when I've looked
    > >casually.
    > >
    > >Julie "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> You're very welcome! I love the mastercook program. Is relatively
    > >inexpensive
    > >> (think around $10-$15) and very easy to use, once I figured out how to
    > >enter in
    > >> specific foods and nutrients. It gives all the nutritional info you
    could
    > >> imagine. This is one program I use daily, am constantly tweaking our
    old
    > >family
    > >> favorites into much healthier versions.
    > >>
    > >> Joyce

    > >of

    butter.

    > >and

    > >it

  17. Laura

    Laura Guest

    Probably not. I did not catch the FF part. Sorry.

    "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > even lower than fat free sour cream?
    >
    > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > > Thanks for the warning. I probably would have goofed too. I might try it with low fat plain
    > > yogart to see if that tastes okay. It would lower the points too.
    > >
    > > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > If you add a bit more sour cream to get it to get it to stick, you can
    > > stuff
    > > > it in celery sticks (the wider ones) or serve it on cucumber slices.
    > > >
    > > > It is yummy, just remember to use TEASPOON measurements for the cajun seasoning (I used a
    > > > tablespoon of it last time and it made my eyes
    > water,
    > > dh
    > > > loved it-go figure.)
    > > >
    > > > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > > for

    > butter.

    > onion,
    > > and

    > serve
    > > > it

    > that

  18. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    darn. I was hoping you knew something I didn't. Ah well..such is life.

    news.ops.worldnet.att.net...