REC: Elbow Mac or Ditalini - Macaroni Beef Sauté

Melba's Jammin

Guest
I've posted this before, I'm sure. I made it last week. Doubled the recipe. I used the ditalini. I
also used a coarse grind of groud beef and I believe that was an improvement over the regular stuff
-- it gave it more tooth. Go ahead, make sport of this recipe. I don' care. It's tasty, and with a
green salad, some broccoli, and some toast, a decent meal.

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Macaroni Beef Sauté

Recipe By: posted to r.f.c. by Barb Schaller 2-28-04 Serving Size: 1 Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Entrees

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1/2 # ground beef
2/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
3/4 cup chopped onion
4/4 cup chopped green pepper
5/2 clove garlic minced
6/4 cup vegetable oil 1 can tomato juice (12 oz.) (about 1-2/3 cups)
7/4 tsp. salt
8/8 tsp. pepper 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Sauté beef, macaroni, onion, green pepper, and garlic in hot oil until macaroni turns slightly
yellow. Drain off excess fat. Add tomato juice and seasonings; bring to boil. Cover and simmer 20
minutes. Uncover and simmer for several more minutes or until sauce is reduced to desired
consistency. Makes 2 servings.

‹‹‹‹‹ Notes: Source: Betty Crocker¹s New Dinner for Two Cook Book, Golden Press, New York,
copyright 1964, by General Mills, page 93.

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 876 Calories; 85g Fat (86% calories from fat); 20g Protein;
10g Carbohydrate; 96mg Cholesterol; 2167mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable;
15 1/2 Fat
_____
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I've posted this before, I'm sure. I made it last week. Doubled the recipe. I used the ditalini. I
> also used a coarse grind of groud beef and I believe that was an improvement over the regular
> stuff -- it gave it more tooth. Go ahead, make sport of this recipe. I don' care. It's tasty, and
> with a green salad, some broccoli, and some toast, a decent meal.
>
> { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>
> Macaroni Beef Sauté
>
> Recipe By: posted to r.f.c. by Barb Schaller 2-28-04 Serving Size: 1 Preparation Time: 0:00
> Categories: Entrees
>
> Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
> 1/2 # ground beef
> 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
> 1/4 cup chopped onion
> 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
> 1/2 clove garlic minced
> 1/4 cup vegetable oil 1 can tomato juice (12 oz.) (about 1-2/3 cups)
> 3/4 tsp. salt
> 1/8 tsp. pepper 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
>
> Sauté beef, macaroni, onion, green pepper, and garlic in hot oil until macaroni turns slightly
> yellow. Drain off excess fat. Add tomato juice and seasonings; bring to boil. Cover and simmer 20
> minutes. Uncover and simmer for several more minutes or until sauce is reduced to desired
> consistency. Makes 2 servings.

I cook like this quite often; with a pound of hamburger, about 5 ounces of dried noodles or
macaroni, and whatever else looks good that day. It's just like "Hamburger Helper", but cheaper and
tastes better.

Best regards, Bob

zxcvbob wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> I've posted this before, I'm sure. I made it last week. Doubled the recipe. I used the ditalini.
>> I also used a coarse grind of ground beef and I believe that was an improvement over the regular
>> stuff -- it gave it more tooth. Go ahead, make sport of this recipe. I don' care. It's tasty, and
>> with a green salad, some broccoli, and some toast, a decent meal.
>>
>> { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>>
>> Macaroni Beef Sauté

(snippage)
> I cook like this quite often; with a pound of hamburger, about 5 ounces of dried noodles or
> macaroni, and whatever else looks good that day. It's just like "Hamburger Helper", but cheaper
> and tastes better.
>
> Best regards, Bob

Yeah, I'm always looking for ways to make "Hamburger Helper" at home. Like chili-mac. I'm pretty
sure I have a recipe around here for ground beef stroganoff, too. Mom makes something similar to
this; she called it "Spanish Sion". Lord only knows why :)

Jill

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I've posted this before, I'm sure. I made it last week. Doubled the recipe. I used the ditalini. I
> also used a coarse grind of groud beef and I believe that was an improvement over the regular
> stuff -- it gave it more tooth. Go ahead, make sport of this recipe. I don' care. It's tasty, and
> with a green salad, some broccoli, and some toast, a decent meal.

When I was a kid, we made this sort of thing with Campbells tomato soup. (whispers) I still do
sometimes.

Brian Rodenborn