REC - Giant Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie

Damsel in dis Dress

Guest
My absolute favorite breakfast. My doctor heartily approves.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie

Recipe By :Damsel
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 teaspoon butter -- for frying
1/3 cup oatmeal
1 large egg -- slightly beaten
1 teaspoon Splenda® granular
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon butter

Combine oatmeal, egg, Splenda, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour into a
buttered skillet, and press the "cookie" so it's level all the way
across. The patty should be about 1/2-inch thick. Fry on medium heat
until browned on both sides. Serve with 1/2 teaspoon butter.

Notes: Add raisins or chopped apples if desired.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> My absolute favorite breakfast. My doctor heartily approves.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie
>
> Recipe By :Damsel
> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 1 teaspoon butter -- for frying
> 1/3 cup oatmeal
> 1 large egg -- slightly beaten
> 1 teaspoon Splenda® granular
> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
> 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon butter
>
> Combine oatmeal, egg, Splenda, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour into a
> buttered skillet, and press the "cookie" so it's level all the way
> across. The patty should be about 1/2-inch thick. Fry on medium heat
> until browned on both sides. Serve with 1/2 teaspoon butter.
>
> Notes: Add raisins or chopped apples if desired.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The recipe looks wonderful!
There doesn't appear to be a lot of liquid...is the 1/3 cup oatmeal
cooked or is that dry? Also, if it is dry, what works better, one
minute oats or five minute kind?

patrice

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:34:31 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> My absolute favorite breakfast. My doctor heartily approves.
>>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie
>>
>> Recipe By :Damsel
>> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories :
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 teaspoon butter -- for frying
>> 1/3 cup oatmeal
>> 1 large egg -- slightly beaten
>> 1 teaspoon Splenda® granular
>> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
>> 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
>> 1/2 teaspoon butter
>>
>> Combine oatmeal, egg, Splenda, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour into a
>> buttered skillet, and press the "cookie" so it's level all the way
>> across. The patty should be about 1/2-inch thick. Fry on medium heat
>> until browned on both sides. Serve with 1/2 teaspoon butter.
>>
>> Notes: Add raisins or chopped apples if desired.
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

>The recipe looks wonderful!
>There doesn't appear to be a lot of liquid...is the 1/3 cup oatmeal
>cooked or is that dry? Also, if it is dry, what works better, one
>minute oats or five minute kind?

Hi Patrice!

The liquid is the egg. It really binds those oat flakes together, and
you want the mixture to be thick. The oatmeal is uncooked, and I use
the 1 minute, quick cooking variety. I've never tried the 5 minute
stuff.

The cookie (I used to call it a pancake) has a nice, nutty texture.
Come to think of it, you could add chopped nuts to make it more
interesting if you wanted to.

I hope you'll enjoy this!
Carol

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:34:31 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>>>My absolute favorite breakfast. My doctor heartily approves.
>>>
>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie
>>>
>>>Recipe By :Damsel
>>>Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
>>>Categories :
>>>
>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 1 teaspoon butter -- for frying
>>> 1/3 cup oatmeal
>>> 1 large egg -- slightly beaten
>>> 1 teaspoon Splenda® granular
>>> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
>>> 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
>>> 1/2 teaspoon butter
>>>
>>>Combine oatmeal, egg, Splenda, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour into a
>>>buttered skillet, and press the "cookie" so it's level all the way
>>>across. The patty should be about 1/2-inch thick. Fry on medium heat
>>>until browned on both sides. Serve with 1/2 teaspoon butter.
>>>
>>>Notes: Add raisins or chopped apples if desired.
>>>
>>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

>>The recipe looks wonderful!
>>There doesn't appear to be a lot of liquid...is the 1/3 cup oatmeal
>>cooked or is that dry? Also, if it is dry, what works better, one
>>minute oats or five minute kind?

> Hi Patrice!
>
> The liquid is the egg. It really binds those oat flakes together, and
> you want the mixture to be thick. The oatmeal is uncooked, and I use
> the 1 minute, quick cooking variety. I've never tried the 5 minute
> stuff.
>
> The cookie (I used to call it a pancake) has a nice, nutty texture.
> Come to think of it, you could add chopped nuts to make it more
> interesting if you wanted to.
>
> I hope you'll enjoy this!
> Carol

Thank you!
I'm sure I will.

patrice

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> My absolute favorite breakfast. My doctor heartily approves.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie

Hi Carol,

What size skillet do you use? I'd love to try this! (And if I tell my son
that I got the recipe from the lady who told me how to make those peanut
butter-chocolate-Wheat Thins thingie, he'll be all over it, too!)

Thx,
Chris

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> My absolute favorite breakfast. My doctor heartily approves.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie
>
> Recipe By :Damsel
> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 1 teaspoon butter -- for frying
> 1/3 cup oatmeal
> 1 large egg -- slightly beaten
> 1 teaspoon Splenda® granular
> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
> 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon butter
>
> Combine oatmeal, egg, Splenda, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour into a
> buttered skillet, and press the "cookie" so it's level all the way
> across. The patty should be about 1/2-inch thick. Fry on medium heat
> until browned on both sides. Serve with 1/2 teaspoon butter.
>
> Notes: Add raisins or chopped apples if desired.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nice to see you back Dams :) I'm wondering if honey would work in place
of the Splenda something we don't use and we avoid white sugar. Is the
end result on the dry side or moist side? Maybe I'll just try it and
see what happens. You know if you added a few chopped nuts and raisens
it would be really great but I don't know how that would work with your
diabetes.

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> My absolute favorite breakfast. My doctor heartily approves.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie
>
> Recipe By :Damsel
> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 1 teaspoon butter -- for frying
> 1/3 cup oatmeal
> 1 large egg -- slightly beaten
> 1 teaspoon Splenda® granular
> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
> 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon butter
>
> Combine oatmeal, egg, Splenda, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour into a
> buttered skillet, and press the "cookie" so it's level all the way
> across. The patty should be about 1/2-inch thick. Fry on medium heat
> until browned on both sides. Serve with 1/2 teaspoon butter.
>
> Notes: Add raisins or chopped apples if desired.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

WOW! this sounds great! and i would think you could make it and take
it on the run. i would not use the splenda for myself, tho. honey or
organic sugar instead. and you could use all kinds of fresh or dried
fruits and nuts...depending on what available that day. thanks for the
great recipe, damsel! myraide

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:17:28 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My absolute favorite breakfast. My doctor heartily approves.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie
>
>Recipe By :Damsel
>Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
>Categories :

>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 1 teaspoon butter -- for frying
> 1/3 cup oatmeal
> 1 large egg -- slightly beaten
> 1 teaspoon Splenda® granular
> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
> 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon butter
>
>Combine oatmeal, egg, Splenda, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour into a
>buttered skillet, and press the "cookie" so it's level all the way
>across. The patty should be about 1/2-inch thick. Fry on medium heat
>until browned on both sides. Serve with 1/2 teaspoon butter.
>
>Notes: Add raisins or chopped apples if desired.

I'll certainly try this! What is the skillet diameter? Do you use a
non-stick skillet? 1/2 tsp butter doesn't sound like a lot for frying
something with an egg.

Sue(tm)

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:42:41 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>What size skillet do you use? I'd love to try this! (And if I tell my son
>that I got the recipe from the lady who told me how to make those peanut
>butter-chocolate-Wheat Thins thingie, he'll be all over it, too!)

I use my 8 inch skillet. They are about the size of a quarter
pounder. A little bit bigger. I'm going to make the stuff again
tonight, but make two smaller ones. One for a bedtime snack, then the
other for tomorrow's breakfast.

Give your son a hug from the butterfingers lady. :)

Carol

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:53:26 -0500, ~patches~
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Nice to see you back Dams :) I'm wondering if honey would work in place
>of the Splenda something we don't use and we avoid white sugar. Is the
>end result on the dry side or moist side? Maybe I'll just try it and
>see what happens. You know if you added a few chopped nuts and raisens
>it would be really great but I don't know how that would work with your
>diabetes.

I'm just sorta back, Patches, but thanks for the howdy. I have my
newsgroup font set pretty large, and still have trouble reading it.
It'll pass.

Honey would be fine, I'm sure. It's right between moist and dry. A
lot depends on how long you fry them.

The diabetes is the reason I'm making two small ones instead of one
regular tonight. My blood sugar skyrocketed after I ate this.
Hopefully, my doc will adjust my meds so I can eat these whole. Many
people have this kind of reaction to oatmeal. But my doc wants me to
eat oats, etc. In the meantime, I'm going to keep the blood sugar as
reasonable as possible.

Carol

On 13 Jan 2006 11:02:46 -0800, "Myraide" <[email protected]> wrote:

>WOW! this sounds great! and i would think you could make it and take
>it on the run. i would not use the splenda for myself, tho. honey or
>organic sugar instead. and you could use all kinds of fresh or dried
>fruits and nuts...depending on what available that day. thanks for the
>great recipe, damsel! myraide

I've always eaten mine with a fork because I glaze the top with
butter. So I'm not positive that they wouldn't fall apart in your
hand, but give it a shot. What's there to lose? An option would be
to make a couple smaller cookies. They might hold up better, and
they'd probably cook faster if you're in a hurry to get going.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:53:26 -0500, ~patches~
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Nice to see you back Dams :) I'm wondering if honey would work in place
>>of the Splenda something we don't use and we avoid white sugar. Is the
>>end result on the dry side or moist side? Maybe I'll just try it and
>>see what happens. You know if you added a few chopped nuts and raisens
>>it would be really great but I don't know how that would work with your
>>diabetes.

> I'm just sorta back, Patches, but thanks for the howdy. I have my
> newsgroup font set pretty large, and still have trouble reading it.
> It'll pass.
>
> Honey would be fine, I'm sure. It's right between moist and dry. A
> lot depends on how long you fry them.
>
> The diabetes is the reason I'm making two small ones instead of one
> regular tonight. My blood sugar skyrocketed after I ate this.
> Hopefully, my doc will adjust my meds so I can eat these whole. Many
> people have this kind of reaction to oatmeal. But my doc wants me to
> eat oats, etc. In the meantime, I'm going to keep the blood sugar as
> reasonable as possible.

Steel-cut whole oatmeal has a much lower glycemic index than instant
oatmeal. You'd have to use it pre-cooked; the brief saute in the
original recipe would not suffice. It sounds like a good way to use up
leftover slow cooked oatmeal.

Kathleen

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:26:08 GMT, [email protected] (Curly
Sue) wrote:

>I'll certainly try this! What is the skillet diameter? Do you use a
>non-stick skillet? 1/2 tsp butter doesn't sound like a lot for frying
>something with an egg.

I use an 8-inch skillet. It's copper-bottomed Revere Ware, and is not
non-stick. It's a cool pan. I make omelettes for Crash almost every
day, and they don't stick at all. I just slide them out of the pan
and onto his plate. It's magic! <G>

I use a teaspoon of butter to glaze the top, but 1 teaspoon for
frying. If you want to use more, you certainly can. I'm watching my
saturated fats, so I'm going pretty light on the butter. I can't
bring myself to use margarine. I just can't. So I use butter
minimally.

Carol

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:21:33 -0600, Kathleen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Steel-cut whole oatmeal has a much lower glycemic index than instant
>oatmeal. You'd have to use it pre-cooked; the brief saute in the
>original recipe would not suffice. It sounds like a good way to use up
>leftover slow cooked oatmeal.

I'm not familiar with the concept of leftover McCann's. LOL!

I have a can of them, and ate some last night, resulting in my lowest
fasting BG since I started keeping track again. I'll try the
overnight method tonight. That way, I can make my cookie right away,
before the evil oats beckon me to the Dark Side.

Thanks for the great idea!

Carol

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:42:41 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>What size skillet do you use? I'd love to try this! (And if I tell my
>>son
>>that I got the recipe from the lady who told me how to make those peanut
>>butter-chocolate-Wheat Thins thingie, he'll be all over it, too!)

> I use my 8 inch skillet. They are about the size of a quarter
> pounder. A little bit bigger. I'm going to make the stuff again
> tonight, but make two smaller ones. One for a bedtime snack, then the
> other for tomorrow's breakfast.

I'm going to make one now, just for a snack.....

> Give your son a hug from the butterfingers lady. :)

Oh. I guess maybe I should wait til he comes home so he can have some, too.
He will like the hug, BTW. Quite the ladies' man!

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:27:10 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
<[email protected]> connected the dots and wrote:

I'm watching my
~saturated fats, so I'm going pretty light on the butter. I can't
~bring myself to use margarine. I just can't. So I use butter
~minimally.
~
~Carol

Of a truth, Carol, the butter is (marginally) better for you than
margarine. (no pun intended). Have you tried using olive oil for the
pan, or butter-flavored spray?

I didn't hear about your vision problems, but I hope they are either
moderating or under control, or healing. (whichever gives the best
result).

maxine in ri