REC: Key Lime pie

aem

Guest
Maybe it's the warmer than usual fall we've had, maybe we watered more
than last year, maybe the tree has reached its full maturity--for
whatever reason we have more fruit ripening on the Mexican lime tree
than we can keep up with. After a couple of less successful tries I
found this extremely simple recipe that works great. The only key
thing about it seems to be to beat the yolks well at the beginning.
-aem

Key Lime Pie

Graham Cracker Crust

1.5 cups well crushed graham crackers, about 16 crackers
3 TB sugar
1 cube (1/4 lb) butter, very soft

Mix the ingredients well and press firmly into a 9" pie plate. You may
find it helpful to use the bottom of a jar to press the crumbs into the
plate. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 10 - 12 minutes until
lightly browned. Place on a rack to cool.

Pie Filling

4 large or extra large egg yolks
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh key lime juice (approximately 12 Key or 6 Mexican limes)
2 teaspoons grated lime peel, yellow [or green] portion only
Whipping cream for garnish (optional)

[Key limes and mexican limes are botanically the same, I believe, but
those sold as "Key" limes seem always to be small -- about 1" in
diameter -- while those sold as Mexican range from 1" to 2" in
diameter. At any rate, they are different from Persian limes or
Bearss (sp?) limes.]

Zest or grate some of the limes before cutting them for juicing. Beat
the egg yolks until they are thick and turn a lighter yellow. Add the
sweetened condensed milk and half the lime juice, stirring/mixing
slowly but well until it's all well incorporated. Then add the
remaining juice and the zest, mix until well blended. Pour the mixture
into the pie shell and bake at 350°F for about 12 minutes, until
custard is just set. Cool on a rack, then refrigerate for 2 hours or
so to fully set the filling. Bring back to room temp for serving, if
desired.

Optionally, serve with a dollop of whipped cream. If you are making
your own, skip adding any vanilla to it this time.

aem wrote:

> Maybe it's the warmer than usual fall we've had, maybe we watered more
> than last year, maybe the tree has reached its full maturity--for
> whatever reason we have more fruit ripening on the Mexican lime tree
> than we can keep up with.

Lucky you.

> Pie Filling
>
> 4 large or extra large egg yolks
> 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
> 1/2 cup fresh key lime juice (approximately 12 Key or 6 Mexican limes)
> 2 teaspoons grated lime peel, yellow [or green] portion only

I prefer more lime juice in mine, but that's a matter of taste. I like
it tangy.

Brian

won't shut up.

Default User wrote:

> I prefer more lime juice in mine, but that's a matter of taste. I like
> it tangy.

Uh huh, I like it tangy, too, so I put in more zest than the recipe
calls for. I was afraid to increase the juice amount because I have
had trouble before with the filling's not setting. Now I have more
confidence that beating the yolks well is the key, so I may use more
juice next time. -aem