REC: Ma Ho (Thai appetizers) PING Liz C!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ariane Jenkins, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Liz, I don't know if you lurk here anymore, but I just
    wanted to let you know I made those Thai appetizers you
    brought to the Chicago cook-ins, and they were a huge hit!
    My dad especially loved them, and made certain the leftovers
    stayed in his possession when we went home.

    Here's the recipe if anyone's curious:

    Ma-Ho (Galloping Horses - Thailand) from Asian appetizers
    by Joyce Jue

    1 bunch fresh coriander 1t black peppercorns 2T chopped
    garlic 12 oz. ground pork 2T oil (veg, peanut, canola) 2T
    chopped shallots 1 fresh serrano chile, chopped 4T roasted
    peanuts, chopped 1 1/2T Thai fish sauce 2T palm sugar or
    dark brown sugar 1t lime juice 6 mint leaves, chopped 1
    pineapple red bird chiles for garnish (Thai chiles)

    Chop 1T coriander roots and 2T leaves, set the rest aside
    for garnish.

    In a mortar, pound the peppercorns into powder, add the
    coriander roots and garlic and pound to a paste (can be done
    in a food processor or mini-chopper).

    Saute the pork without oil, breaking up clumps until brown
    and dry. Remove and set aside.

    Reheat the wok or pan and add the oil, peppercorn mix,
    shallots and chile and saute till shallots are browned, 1-2
    minutes. Return the pork to the pan and add the peanuts,
    fish sauce and sugar. Stir fry till mixture is brown and
    sticky.. Stir in the lime juice and remove the mixture to a
    plate. When cool, mix in chopped mint and coriander leaves.

    Peel the pineapple and cut into 3/8 inch thick triangles -
    about 2-3 inches wide at the bottom of the triangle. Place a
    coriander leaf and a sliver of chile on each slice, then top
    with a spoonful of the pork mixture.

    Tags:

  2. harkon

    harkon Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 05:10:30 GMT, Ariane Jenkins
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Liz, I don't know if you lurk here anymore, but I just
    >wanted to let you know I made those Thai appetizers you
    >brought to the Chicago cook-ins, and they were a huge hit!
    >My dad especially loved them, and made certain the
    >leftovers stayed in his possession when we went home.

    Still here in spirit. We lost our old girl, Janni
    (http://www.ausbreitung.com/janni.htm), in December and
    I just haven't felt very social since her passing. Her
    grandkids (the little ones you met at Gar's) are
    helping though.

    Thanks for remembering though and glad to hear your Dad
    enjoyed them. We're finally getting ready to do a
    housewarming and I had forgotten about ma-ho in my plans,
    so Bill will be happy to hear they're on the menu now, as
    will my Dad :)

    Liz

    Liz & the rottie riot squad Bruti, Case, Cecil, Dizzy and
    the grrrrls, Chrome, Elf & Elektra take out the dog to mail

  3. On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:10:15 -0600,
    [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Still here in spirit. We lost our old girl, Janni
    > (http://www.ausbreitung.com/janni.htm), in December and
    > I just haven't felt very social since her passing. Her
    > grandkids (the little ones you met at Gar's) are
    > helping though.

    I'm so sorry to hear that, Liz, but I'm glad she was
    able to have a long and happy life with your family. I
    remember, the pups were adorable!

    > Thanks for remembering though and glad to hear your Dad
    > enjoyed them. We're finally getting ready to do a
    > housewarming and I had forgotten about ma-ho in my plans,
    > so Bill will be happy to hear they're on the menu now, as
    > will my Dad :)

    We had some for dinner tonight! No doubt they'll
    be requested again by my family on future
    gatherings, too. :)

    Ariane

  4. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Ariane Jenkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:10:15 -0600, [email protected]
    : >
    :
    : I'm so sorry to hear that, Liz, but I'm glad she was
    : able
    to have a
    : long and happy life with your family. I remember, the pups
    were adorable!
    :
    : > Thanks for remembering though and glad to hear your Dad
    enjoyed them.
    : > We're finally getting ready to do a housewarming
    : > and I had
    forgotten
    : > about ma-ho in my plans, so Bill will be happy to hear
    they're on the
    : > menu now, as will my Dad :)
    :
    : We had some for dinner tonight! No doubt they'll be
    : requested again by my family on future gatherings,
    : too. :)
    :
    : Ariane
    =========

    Oh man... that is so sad. I am so sorry to hear about Janni.
    What a beautiful, beautiful animal! Gosh, and her furry
    little g'kids were/are absolutely precious! I didn't know;
    otherwise, I definitely would have said my condolences. I
    tend to relate better to animals to humans most days... Are
    the g'pups training yet, as Janni did?

    Take care,
    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  5. harkon

    harkon Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 06:30:04 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Oh man... that is so sad. I am so sorry to hear about
    >Janni. What a beautiful, beautiful animal! Gosh, and her
    >furry little g'kids were/are absolutely precious! I didn't
    >know; otherwise, I definitely would have said my
    >condolences. I tend to relate better to animals to humans
    >most days...

    Thank you (and Ariane as well).

    >Are the g'pups training yet, as Janni did?

    They started going to training at six weeks. Right now
    they're started in tracking, obedience and some tug work,
    and they're both in a Canine Good Citizen class. Their
    mother, Chrome, got her SCH1 last year and will be going for
    her 2 this year. Elektra seems to be the better worker -
    Elfi wants to be a show dog and just stand around eating
    bait all day :) But - they're both much better in the house
    than their mother (who literally bounced off walls till she
    was five!!), so they've taken over grandma's spot on the
    kitchen floor. Strangely, neither of the girls begs like
    grandma did (and mom and dad
    do) - they don't seem to really care for scraps yet -
    weirdos!!!