REC: Ma Ho (Thai appetizers) PING Liz C!

Ariane Jenkins

Guest
Liz, I don't know if you lurk here anymore, but I just
wanted to let you know I made those Thai appetizers you
brought to the Chicago cook-ins, and they were a huge hit!
My dad especially loved them, and made certain the leftovers
stayed in his possession when we went home.

Here's the recipe if anyone's curious:

Ma-Ho (Galloping Horses - Thailand) from Asian appetizers
by Joyce Jue

1 bunch fresh coriander 1t black peppercorns 2T chopped
garlic 12 oz. ground pork 2T oil (veg, peanut, canola) 2T
chopped shallots 1 fresh serrano chile, chopped 4T roasted
peanuts, chopped 1 1/2T Thai fish sauce 2T palm sugar or
dark brown sugar 1t lime juice 6 mint leaves, chopped 1
pineapple red bird chiles for garnish (Thai chiles)

Chop 1T coriander roots and 2T leaves, set the rest aside
for garnish.

In a mortar, pound the peppercorns into powder, add the
coriander roots and garlic and pound to a paste (can be done
in a food processor or mini-chopper).

Saute the pork without oil, breaking up clumps until brown
and dry. Remove and set aside.

Reheat the wok or pan and add the oil, peppercorn mix,
shallots and chile and saute till shallots are browned, 1-2
minutes. Return the pork to the pan and add the peanuts,
fish sauce and sugar. Stir fry till mixture is brown and
sticky.. Stir in the lime juice and remove the mixture to a
plate. When cool, mix in chopped mint and coriander leaves.

Peel the pineapple and cut into 3/8 inch thick triangles -
about 2-3 inches wide at the bottom of the triangle. Place a
coriander leaf and a sliver of chile on each slice, then top
with a spoonful of the pork mixture.

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 05:10:30 GMT, Ariane Jenkins
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Liz, I don't know if you lurk here anymore, but I just
>wanted to let you know I made those Thai appetizers you
>brought to the Chicago cook-ins, and they were a huge hit!
>My dad especially loved them, and made certain the
>leftovers stayed in his possession when we went home.

Still here in spirit. We lost our old girl, Janni
(http://www.ausbreitung.com/janni.htm), in December and
I just haven't felt very social since her passing. Her
grandkids (the little ones you met at Gar's) are
helping though.

Thanks for remembering though and glad to hear your Dad
enjoyed them. We're finally getting ready to do a
housewarming and I had forgotten about ma-ho in my plans,
so Bill will be happy to hear they're on the menu now, as
will my Dad :)

Liz

Liz & the rottie riot squad Bruti, Case, Cecil, Dizzy and
the grrrrls, Chrome, Elf & Elektra take out the dog to mail

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:10:15 -0600,
[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> Still here in spirit. We lost our old girl, Janni
> (http://www.ausbreitung.com/janni.htm), in December and
> I just haven't felt very social since her passing. Her
> grandkids (the little ones you met at Gar's) are
> helping though.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Liz, but I'm glad she was
able to have a long and happy life with your family. I
remember, the pups were adorable!

> Thanks for remembering though and glad to hear your Dad
> enjoyed them. We're finally getting ready to do a
> housewarming and I had forgotten about ma-ho in my plans,
> so Bill will be happy to hear they're on the menu now, as
> will my Dad :)

We had some for dinner tonight! No doubt they'll
be requested again by my family on future
gatherings, too. :)

Ariane

"Ariane Jenkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:10:15 -0600, [email protected]
: >
:
: I'm so sorry to hear that, Liz, but I'm glad she was
: able
to have a
: long and happy life with your family. I remember, the pups
were adorable!
:
: > Thanks for remembering though and glad to hear your Dad
enjoyed them.
: > We're finally getting ready to do a housewarming
: > and I had
forgotten
: > about ma-ho in my plans, so Bill will be happy to hear
they're on the
: > menu now, as will my Dad :)
:
: We had some for dinner tonight! No doubt they'll be
: requested again by my family on future gatherings,
: too. :)
:
: Ariane
=========

Oh man... that is so sad. I am so sorry to hear about Janni.
What a beautiful, beautiful animal! Gosh, and her furry
little g'kids were/are absolutely precious! I didn't know;
otherwise, I definitely would have said my condolences. I
tend to relate better to animals to humans most days... Are
the g'pups training yet, as Janni did?

Take care,
--
Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 06:30:04 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Oh man... that is so sad. I am so sorry to hear about
>Janni. What a beautiful, beautiful animal! Gosh, and her
>furry little g'kids were/are absolutely precious! I didn't
>know; otherwise, I definitely would have said my
>condolences. I tend to relate better to animals to humans
>most days...

Thank you (and Ariane as well).

>Are the g'pups training yet, as Janni did?

They started going to training at six weeks. Right now
they're started in tracking, obedience and some tug work,
and they're both in a Canine Good Citizen class. Their
mother, Chrome, got her SCH1 last year and will be going for
her 2 this year. Elektra seems to be the better worker -
Elfi wants to be a show dog and just stand around eating
bait all day :) But - they're both much better in the house
than their mother (who literally bounced off walls till she
was five!!), so they've taken over grandma's spot on the
kitchen floor. Strangely, neither of the girls begs like
grandma did (and mom and dad
do) - they don't seem to really care for scraps yet -
weirdos!!!