REC: Orzo or Vermicelli - Rice Pilaf

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Melba's Jammin, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. I've posted this before. It rocks!

    { Exported from MasterCook Mac }

    Rice Pilaf

    Recipe By: [email protected], 2/15/97, posted to r.f.cooking Serving Size: 4 Preparation Time: 0:35
    Categories: Entrees

    Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method 1 cup long grain white rice 12 pieces vermicelli pasta
    noodles (12 to 15) 2 C chicken bouillon 1 tbsp butter (1 to 2)

    Melt butter in saucepan. Add rice and stir now and then til it browns...be careful not to let it
    burn. When rice is evenly browned, add the vermicelli which you have broken into 2-3 in lengths and
    the bouillon. Bring to a boil, reduce flame, cover, and simmer til liquid is absorbed...probably
    about 20 minutes or so.

    Serve as is or with a little pat of butter.

    If you try it, let me know how you like it.

    ‹‹‹‹‹ Notes: This recipe came from my 4th grade teacher's mother, a lovely Armenian woman, nearly
    50 years ago! I wouldn't make pilaf any other way....and it always gets raves. Elizabeth Dean
    Brooks, rec.food.cooking

    Schaller notes: I use 3/4 cup of rice and 1/4 cup of orzo pasta; or, if I use vermicelli, I use at
    least twice as much than Libby's recipe calls for.

    Per serving (excluding unknown items): 36 Calories; 3g Fat (84% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 1g
    Carbohydrate; 8mg Cholesterol; 771mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1/2 Fat
    _____
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

    Tags:

  2. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > I've posted this before. It rocks!

    I like vermicelli in pilaf and also to toss in a handful of lightly toasted pine nuts; pretty much
    the same recipe as Libby's below. Good stuff! Thanks Barb, for reminding me :)

    Jill

    > { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
    >
    > Rice Pilaf
    >
    > Recipe By: [email protected], 2/15/97, posted to r.f.cooking Serving Size: 4 Preparation Time: 0:35
    > Categories: Entrees
    >
    > Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method 1 cup long grain white rice 12 pieces vermicelli
    > pasta noodles (12 to 15) 2 C chicken bouillon 1 tbsp butter (1 to 2)
    >
    > Melt butter in saucepan. Add rice and stir now and then til it browns...be careful not to let it
    > burn. When rice is evenly browned, add the vermicelli which you have broken into 2-3 in lengths
    > and the bouillon. Bring to a boil, reduce flame, cover, and simmer til liquid is
    > absorbed...probably about 20 minutes or so.
    >
    > Serve as is or with a little pat of butter.
    >
    > If you try it, let me know how you like it.
    >
    > <<<<< Notes: This recipe came from my 4th grade teacher's mother, a lovely Armenian woman,
    > nearly 50 years ago! I wouldn't make pilaf any other way....and it always gets raves. Elizabeth
    > Dean Brooks, rec.food.cooking
    >
    > Schaller notes: I use 3/4 cup of rice and 1/4 cup of orzo pasta; or, if I use vermicelli, I use at
    > least twice as much than Libby's recipe calls for.
    >
    > Per serving (excluding unknown items): 36 Calories; 3g Fat (84% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 1g
    > Carbohydrate; 8mg Cholesterol; 771mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1/2 Fat
    > _____

  3. Try sauteing a cut up onion with a bit more butter, and a shake of black pepper, before adding
    orzo....I use margarine as it's best here for sauteing, besides 5 min. on high and 10 min. at 50%,
    in a deep, covered micro waveable.