1 clove garlic
more butter -- if desired
2 tablespoons bacon fat -- if desired
1 large egg
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
flat leaf parsley
fresh ground black pepper

Use some milk. Real milk. Or some skim **** (my how often that shows up in
culinary discourse) with butter in it. The start of a cream coating for the
pasta.

For a pound of pasta, let's build a hypothetical dressing. 1/2 cup milk,
three tablespoons butter and a garlic clove (mashed and very finely minced)
heated until the butter melts and it comes to a boil. Stir to distribute
the butter and to poach the garlic. Reduce to about 1/3 cup - the reduction
will thicken a bit and have a richer mouthfeel. More butter wouldn't hurt
it, nor would a couple tablespoons bacon fat.

Meanwhile, break an egg into a large bowl and add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
and some fresh, flat leaf parsley. A good grating of black pepper. When the
pasta is done, drain it. Dump the milk reduction into the bowl with the egg
and whisk furiously to mix it all together. Dump the pasta in and toss
quickly to full coat. Serve immediately. More cheese at table.

"This is a half-assed approximation of a French Sauce Batard (q.v.)
that itself is enormously flexible."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This is a satisfying, creamy dish that can be extended by dropping
in some cooked, chopped bacon for a fake Carbonara or some veggies for a
fake primavera or some leftover lobster, truffles and caviar if the queen
pops in suddenly unannounced. It's a good base for adding lots of different
things either as extenders or as flavorings. Or both.

Damsel wrote:
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Pastorio's Half-Assed ******* Sauce

<LOL> My work here is done... Off into the sunset with my trusty
sidekick (What a strange thing to call somebody you don't want to kick
you)... as I was saying, my trusty sidekick, Spatula (funny name for a
guy)... as I was saying...

Pastorio

> Recipe By :Bob Pastorio
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : pasta sauces/gravies

> 1/2 cup milk
> 3 tablespoons butter
> 1 clove garlic
> more butter -- if desired
> 2 tablespoons bacon fat -- if desired
> 1 large egg
> 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
> flat leaf parsley
> fresh ground black pepper
>
> Use some milk. Real milk. Or some skim **** (my how often that shows up in
> culinary discourse) with butter in it. The start of a cream coating for the
> pasta.
>
> For a pound of pasta, let's build a hypothetical dressing. 1/2 cup milk,
> three tablespoons butter and a garlic clove (mashed and very finely minced)
> heated until the butter melts and it comes to a boil. Stir to distribute
> the butter and to poach the garlic. Reduce to about 1/3 cup - the reduction
> will thicken a bit and have a richer mouthfeel. More butter wouldn't hurt
> it, nor would a couple tablespoons bacon fat.
>
> Meanwhile, break an egg into a large bowl and add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
> and some fresh, flat leaf parsley. A good grating of black pepper. When the
> pasta is done, drain it. Dump the milk reduction into the bowl with the egg
> and whisk furiously to mix it all together. Dump the pasta in and toss
> quickly to full coat. Serve immediately. More cheese at table.

> "This is a half-assed approximation of a French Sauce Batard (q.v.)
> that itself is enormously flexible."
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> NOTES : This is a satisfying, creamy dish that can be extended by dropping
> in some cooked, chopped bacon for a fake Carbonara or some veggies for a
> fake primavera or some leftover lobster, truffles and caviar if the queen
> pops in suddenly unannounced. It's a good base for adding lots of different
> things either as extenders or as flavorings. Or both.

It kind of looks like Alfredo Sauce, except maybe for egg and the bacon
grease...

Ducking and running, (ouch)
Bob

"zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It kind of looks like Alfredo Sauce, except maybe for egg and the bacon
> grease...
>
> Ducking and running, (ouch)
> Bob

Nope not Alfredo, Carbonara

Dimitri

zxcvbob <[email protected]> said:

> It kind of looks like Alfredo Sauce, except maybe for egg and the bacon
> grease...

This is a *breakfast* Alfredo Sauce. ;)

Carol

Dimitri wrote:
> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>It kind of looks like Alfredo Sauce, except maybe for egg and the bacon
>>grease...
>>
>>Ducking and running, (ouch)
>>Bob

> Nope not Alfredo, Carbonara

Jeez. You guys don't know anything. It's either Alfonara or Carbofredo.
And your Italian accents are terrible.

Pastorio

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dimitri wrote:
>> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>It kind of looks like Alfredo Sauce, except maybe for egg and the bacon
>>>grease...
>>>
>>>Ducking and running, (ouch)
>>>Bob

>> Nope not Alfredo, Carbonara

> Jeez. You guys don't know anything. It's either Alfonara or Carbofredo. And
> your Italian accents are terrible.
>
> Pastorio

I vote for Albonara.

Dimitri

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dimitri wrote:
>> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>It kind of looks like Alfredo Sauce, except maybe for egg and the bacon
>>>grease...
>>>
>>>Ducking and running, (ouch)
>>>Bob

>> Nope not Alfredo, Carbonara

> Jeez. You guys don't know anything. It's either Alfonara or Carbofredo. And
> your Italian accents are terrible.
>
> Pastorio

I vote for Albonara.

Dimitri

Damsel wrote:
> zxcvbob <[email protected]> said:
>
>>It kind of looks like Alfredo Sauce, except maybe for egg and the bacon
>>grease...

> This is a *breakfast* Alfredo Sauce. ;)

<LOLOL> Literally...

Pastorio

Dimitri wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Dimitri wrote:
>>
>>>"zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Nope not Alfredo, Carbonara

>>Jeez. You guys don't know anything. It's either Alfonara or Carbofredo. And
>>your Italian accents are terrible.
>>
>>Pastorio

> I vote for Albonara.

But wait... somebody just phoned in "Carfredo."

I said gesundheit.

He said my German accent was terrible.

Pastorio

Damsel <[email protected]> writes:

>or some leftover lobster, truffles and caviar if the queen
>pops in suddenly unannounced.

Oooh, I hate it when that happens.

Stacia
knows a lot of queens