REC - Pastorio's Half-Assed Bastard Sauce

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Damsel, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. Damsel

    Damsel Guest

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Pastorio's Half-Assed Bastard Sauce

    Recipe By :Bob Pastorio
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : pasta sauces/gravies

    1/2 cup milk
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 clove garlic
    more butter -- if desired
    2 tablespoons bacon fat -- if desired
    1 large egg
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    flat leaf parsley
    fresh ground black pepper

    Use some milk. Real milk. Or some skim crap (my how often that shows up in
    culinary discourse) with butter in it. The start of a cream coating for the
    pasta.

    For a pound of pasta, let's build a hypothetical dressing. 1/2 cup milk,
    three tablespoons butter and a garlic clove (mashed and very finely minced)
    heated until the butter melts and it comes to a boil. Stir to distribute
    the butter and to poach the garlic. Reduce to about 1/3 cup - the reduction
    will thicken a bit and have a richer mouthfeel. More butter wouldn't hurt
    it, nor would a couple tablespoons bacon fat.

    Meanwhile, break an egg into a large bowl and add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    and some fresh, flat leaf parsley. A good grating of black pepper. When the
    pasta is done, drain it. Dump the milk reduction into the bowl with the egg
    and whisk furiously to mix it all together. Dump the pasta in and toss
    quickly to full coat. Serve immediately. More cheese at table.

    "This is a half-assed approximation of a French Sauce Batard (q.v.)
    that itself is enormously flexible."

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    NOTES : This is a satisfying, creamy dish that can be extended by dropping
    in some cooked, chopped bacon for a fake Carbonara or some veggies for a
    fake primavera or some leftover lobster, truffles and caviar if the queen
    pops in suddenly unannounced. It's a good base for adding lots of different
    things either as extenders or as flavorings. Or both.

    Tags:

  2. Damsel wrote:
    > * Exported from MasterCook *
    >
    > Pastorio's Half-Assed Bastard Sauce

    <LOL> My work here is done... Off into the sunset with my trusty
    sidekick (What a strange thing to call somebody you don't want to kick
    you)... as I was saying, my trusty sidekick, Spatula (funny name for a
    guy)... as I was saying...

    Pastorio

    > Recipe By :Bob Pastorio
    > Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    > Categories : pasta sauces/gravies

    > 1/2 cup milk
    > 3 tablespoons butter
    > 1 clove garlic
    > more butter -- if desired
    > 2 tablespoons bacon fat -- if desired
    > 1 large egg
    > 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    > flat leaf parsley
    > fresh ground black pepper
    >
    > Use some milk. Real milk. Or some skim crap (my how often that shows up in
    > culinary discourse) with butter in it. The start of a cream coating for the
    > pasta.
    >
    > For a pound of pasta, let's build a hypothetical dressing. 1/2 cup milk,
    > three tablespoons butter and a garlic clove (mashed and very finely minced)
    > heated until the butter melts and it comes to a boil. Stir to distribute
    > the butter and to poach the garlic. Reduce to about 1/3 cup - the reduction
    > will thicken a bit and have a richer mouthfeel. More butter wouldn't hurt
    > it, nor would a couple tablespoons bacon fat.
    >
    > Meanwhile, break an egg into a large bowl and add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    > and some fresh, flat leaf parsley. A good grating of black pepper. When the
    > pasta is done, drain it. Dump the milk reduction into the bowl with the egg
    > and whisk furiously to mix it all together. Dump the pasta in and toss
    > quickly to full coat. Serve immediately. More cheese at table.

    > "This is a half-assed approximation of a French Sauce Batard (q.v.)
    > that itself is enormously flexible."
    >
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >
    > NOTES : This is a satisfying, creamy dish that can be extended by dropping
    > in some cooked, chopped bacon for a fake Carbonara or some veggies for a
    > fake primavera or some leftover lobster, truffles and caviar if the queen
    > pops in suddenly unannounced. It's a good base for adding lots of different
    > things either as extenders or as flavorings. Or both.

  3. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    It kind of looks like Alfredo Sauce, except maybe for egg and the bacon
    grease...

    Ducking and running, (ouch)
    Bob

  4. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > It kind of looks like Alfredo Sauce, except maybe for egg and the bacon
    > grease...
    >
    > Ducking and running, (ouch)
    > Bob

    Nope not Alfredo, Carbonara

    Dimitri

  5. Damsel

    Damsel Guest

    zxcvbob <[email protected]> said:

    > It kind of looks like Alfredo Sauce, except maybe for egg and the bacon
    > grease...

    This is a *breakfast* Alfredo Sauce. ;)

    Carol

  6. Dimitri wrote:
    > "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>It kind of looks like Alfredo Sauce, except maybe for egg and the bacon
    >>grease...
    >>
    >>Ducking and running, (ouch)
    >>Bob

    > Nope not Alfredo, Carbonara

    Jeez. You guys don't know anything. It's either Alfonara or Carbofredo.
    And your Italian accents are terrible.

    Pastorio

  7. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Dimitri wrote:
    >> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>It kind of looks like Alfredo Sauce, except maybe for egg and the bacon
    >>>grease...
    >>>
    >>>Ducking and running, (ouch)
    >>>Bob

    >> Nope not Alfredo, Carbonara

    > Jeez. You guys don't know anything. It's either Alfonara or Carbofredo. And
    > your Italian accents are terrible.
    >
    > Pastorio

    I vote for Albonara.

    Dimitri

  8. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Dimitri wrote:
    >> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>It kind of looks like Alfredo Sauce, except maybe for egg and the bacon
    >>>grease...
    >>>
    >>>Ducking and running, (ouch)
    >>>Bob

    >> Nope not Alfredo, Carbonara

    > Jeez. You guys don't know anything. It's either Alfonara or Carbofredo. And
    > your Italian accents are terrible.
    >
    > Pastorio

    I vote for Albonara.

    Dimitri

  9. Damsel wrote:
    > zxcvbob <[email protected]> said:
    >
    >>It kind of looks like Alfredo Sauce, except maybe for egg and the bacon
    >>grease...

    > This is a *breakfast* Alfredo Sauce. ;)

    <LOLOL> Literally...

    Pastorio

  10. Dimitri wrote:
    > "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Dimitri wrote:
    >>
    >>>"zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]

    >>>Nope not Alfredo, Carbonara

    >>Jeez. You guys don't know anything. It's either Alfonara or Carbofredo. And
    >>your Italian accents are terrible.
    >>
    >>Pastorio

    > I vote for Albonara.

    But wait... somebody just phoned in "Carfredo."

    I said gesundheit.

    He said my German accent was terrible.

    Pastorio

  11. Damsel <[email protected]> writes:

    >or some leftover lobster, truffles and caviar if the queen
    >pops in suddenly unannounced.

    Oooh, I hate it when that happens.

    Stacia
    knows a lot of queens