REC: Pickled Sugar Pea Pods

T

The Joneses

Y'all really gotta try these, nice & light, piquent & crispy. I came upon a batch of plump & fat
sugar pea pods at the store that were crispy fresh, not limp flat ones. I used dried tarragon from
my garden and the flavor was still very nice. I wouldn't change anything except that thing about
letting them age for 2 weeks. I don't think they'll last that long. You'll notice that these are not
'canned' and must be kept refridgerated when not scarfed up by the whole famly at once. I bet you
could use Splenda for the sugar and few people would notice. Edrena, getting in her greens & very
nice fiber indeed

Pickled Sugar Snap Peas Makes 1 quart 1 1/4 cups white wine vinegar 1 1/4 cups water 1 tablespoon
pickling salt 1 tablespoon sugar 1 pound sugar snap peas, stemmed and strung 4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 or 2 small dried chile peppers, slit lengthwise 2 tarragon sprigs
1. In a nonreactive saucepan, bring to a boil the vinegar, water, salt, and sugar, stirring to
dissolve the salt and sugar. Let the liquid cool.
2. Pack the peas, garlic, chile peppers, and tarragon into a 1-quart jar. Pour the cooled liquid
over the peas, and cover the jar with a nonreactive cap.
3. Store the jar in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks before eating the peas. Refrigerated, they
will keep for several months.

Sorry friends, cite this one from: _Joy of Pickling_, Linda Ziedrich, The Harvard Common
Press, c. 1998

> Pickled Sugar Snap Peas Makes 1 quart 1 1/4 cups white wine vinegar 1 1/4 cups water 1 tablespoon
> pickling salt 1 tablespoon sugar 1 pound sugar snap peas, stemmed and strung 4 garlic cloves,
> sliced 1 or 2 small dried chile peppers, slit lengthwise 2 tarragon sprigs
> 1. In a nonreactive saucepan, bring to a boil the vinegar, water, salt, and sugar, stirring to
> dissolve the salt and sugar. Let the liquid cool.
> 2. Pack the peas, garlic, chile peppers, and tarragon into a 1-quart jar. Pour the cooled liquid
> over the peas, and cover the jar with a nonreactive cap.
> 3. Store the jar in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks before eating the peas. Refrigerated,
> they will keep for several months.