REC Pressure Cooker beans

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Janet Bostwick, Sep 13, 2005.

  1. here is the information from my copyright 1958 MirroMatic Pressure
    Cooker recipe/direction book. I'm giving amounts for a 4 quart pressure
    cooker. 6-8 quart is just slightly larger amounts, cooking time remains the
    same.

    Direction Table--Dried Vegetables
    Soak all dried vegetables overnight in water to cover. Then drain, add
    necessary water and cook. Directions for 1 cup of vegetables
    Navy Beans--30 minutes to cook after control juggles--2 cups water to
    cook--15 pounds pressure. Cool pan normally 5 minutes, then place under
    cool water faucet to reduce pressure.

    Baked Beans
    2 cups dried navy beans or great northern beans
    3 slices bacon or salt pork
    2 tablespoons onion, chopped
    1/4 cup molasses or syrup
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon salt
    dash pepper
    2 cups water

    Cover beans with water and let stand overnight. Drain.
    Sear meat in Mirro-Matic only until golden brown.
    Add chopped onion and stir. Add beans, molasses, sugar, mustard, salt,
    pepper and water.
    Cover, set control at 15 and cook 25 minutes after control jiggles.
    Reduce pressure normally.

    Serves 4

    Janet

    Tags:

  2. "Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > here is the information from my copyright 1958 MirroMatic Pressure
    > Cooker recipe/direction book. I'm giving amounts for a 4 quart pressure
    > cooker. 6-8 quart is just slightly larger amounts, cooking time remains
    > the
    > same. 6-8 quart amounts in ( ).

    > Baked Beans
    > 2 (4) cups dried navy beans or great northern beans
    > 3 (6) slices bacon or salt pork
    > 2 (1/4 cup) tablespoons onion, chopped
    > 1/4 (1/2) cup molasses or syrup
    > 3 (6) tablespoons brown sugar
    > 1 (2) teaspoon dry mustard
    > 1 (2) teaspoon salt
    > dash (1/4 tsp.)pepper
    > 2 (4) cups water
    >
    > Cover beans with water and let stand overnight. Drain.
    > Sear meat in Mirro-Matic only until golden brown.
    > Add chopped onion and stir. Add beans, molasses, sugar, mustard, salt,
    > pepper and water.
    > Cover, set control at 15 and cook 25 minutes after control jiggles.
    > Reduce pressure normally.
    >
    > Serves 4 (8)
    >
    > Janet

    Leila,
    This recipe worked out fine as is (I just used the larger recipe for a
    larger cooker). There was no foaming, nothing got plugged in the little
    pressure release valve stem, and nothing came even close to sticking to the
    bottom of the pan. The beans absorbed an awful lot of water during the 8
    hour soak. I wonder if your 2-minute pressure soak gives the beans as much
    water as the longer counter top soak? I'd guess that the beans tripled
    during the long soak.
    Janet

  3. "Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> said:

    > here is the information from my copyright 1958 MirroMatic Pressure
    > Cooker recipe/direction book. I'm giving amounts for a 4 quart pressure
    > cooker. 6-8 quart is just slightly larger amounts, cooking time remains the
    > same.

    Thanks so much! Can I put your instructions on my mom's ingredients?

    Carol

  4. "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> said:
    >
    >> here is the information from my copyright 1958 MirroMatic Pressure
    >> Cooker recipe/direction book. I'm giving amounts for a 4 quart pressure
    >> cooker. 6-8 quart is just slightly larger amounts, cooking time remains
    >> the
    >> same.

    > Thanks so much! Can I put your instructions on my mom's ingredients?
    >
    > Carol

    Sure, why not. They are the property of Mirro/General Mills. I just
    looked in a much newer copy of Mirro directions (probably 1980 or 1985) that
    goes with my canner. The same recipe is there with this additional
    information for Leila.
    Heat beans and water to boiling in cooker; boil 2 minutes. Remove from
    heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. You'll notice that the directions do not
    say to boil for 2 minutes with the lid on. No pressure soaking, just the
    simple directions of boiling and resting. It gives the alternate method of
    soaking the beans in water over night before cooking.
    Janet