REC: Rigatoni Romanoff....kinda

D

Dennis G .

I don't use a cookbook often and do like to play. I made this a few days ago and I liked it. Ground
beef, Mushroom soup, Sour Cream with seasoning. Ratios to your taste. I used about a pound of beef,
1 can soup, and half a cup of sour cream.

The Romanoff part: Chopped onion into skillet with hot oil until clear. Added garlic(-powdered was
handy ... half a tblsp) Added ground beef(extra lean). Black pepper and salt. Sauted till very dark.
Off heat to stir in about a quarter cup of flour. Added can of mushroom soup. Stirred in. Added sour
cream to taste. Finally, added a tsp+ of dried sweet basil flakes. Brought to near boil to thicken
then turned down to simmer.

Rigatoni part: Rigatoni and water added to microwave-safe pot at a ratio of 1 to 1.5. Cooked in
microwave at high until water absobed...about 13-15 minutes per cup. Stirred in some butter.

Served with pasta on plate covered by romanoff sauce. Accompanied by sun-dried tomato loaf of bread.

Left over pasta and sauce were put together in the pasta pot and stored in fridge for two
more meals.

Dennis

Dennis G. <[email protected]> wrote:

> The Romanoff part: Chopped onion into skillet with hot oil until clear. Added garlic(-powdered was
> handy ... half a tblsp) Added ground beef(extra lean). Black pepper and salt. Sauted till very
> dark. Off heat to stir in about a quarter cup of flour. Added can of mushroom soup. Stirred in.
> Added sour cream to taste. Finally, added a tsp+ of dried sweet basil flakes. Brought to near boil
> to thicken then turned down to simmer.
>
> Rigatoni part: Rigatoni and water added to microwave-safe pot at a ratio of 1 to 1.5. Cooked in
> microwave at high until water absobed...about 13-15 minutes per cup. Stirred in some butter.
>
> Served with pasta on plate covered by romanoff sauce. Accompanied by sun-dried tomato loaf
> of bread.

This is simply preposterous! Romanoff doesn't enter the equation at all! This is the classic,
venerable Rigatoni Stroganoff recipe, also known as Goulash all'Alfredo. Nothing to do with
Romanoff, which is a salad recipe invented in Tijuana, Mexico!

Victor

In article <1g9xgd6.1oy3nhx18o5kmaN%[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Victor Sack) wrote:

> Dennis G. <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The Romanoff part: Chopped onion into skillet with hot oil until clear. Added garlic(-powdered
> > was handy ... half a tblsp) Added ground beef(extra lean). Black pepper and salt. Sauted till
> > very dark. Off heat to stir in about a quarter cup of flour. Added can of mushroom soup. Stirred
> > in. Added sour cream to taste. Finally, added a tsp+ of dried sweet basil flakes. Brought to
> > near boil to thicken then turned down to simmer.
> >
> > Rigatoni part: Rigatoni and water added to microwave-safe pot at a ratio of 1 to 1.5. Cooked in
> > microwave at high until water absobed...about 13-15 minutes per cup. Stirred in some butter.
> >
> > Served with pasta on plate covered by romanoff sauce. Accompanied by sun-dried tomato loaf of
> > bread.
>
> This is simply preposterous! Romanoff doesn't enter the equation at all! This is the classic,
> venerable Rigatoni Stroganoff recipe, also known as Goulash all'Alfredo. Nothing to do with
> Romanoff, which is a salad recipe invented in Tijuana, Mexico!
>
> Victor

Ok, fine, I'm getting confused here..... What is the official definition of Romanoff???

Pardon my ignorance........ ;-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=katra

[email protected] (Victor Sack) wrote:

>This is simply preposterous! Romanoff doesn't enter the equation at all! This is the classic,
>venerable Rigatoni Stroganoff recipe, also known as Goulash all'Alfredo. Nothing to do with
>Romanoff, which is a salad recipe invented in Tijuana, Mexico!

LOL!

Thanks for the chuckle. Do a google for "Noodles Romanoff" as I did for "Goulash all'Alfredo"

I love goulash and I do like the idea of using steak strips or sausage instead of hamburger and
adding green pepper. I don't think I'd like to add the sauerkraut though.

Dennis

Dennis

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:07:19 +0100, [email protected] (Victor
Sack) wrote:

>This is simply preposterous! Romanoff doesn't enter the equation at all! This is the classic,
>venerable Rigatoni Stroganoff recipe, also known as Goulash all'Alfredo. Nothing to do with
>Romanoff, which is a salad recipe invented in Tijuana, Mexico!

by Yuri Mikhail Clemente Ricardo Vega Garcia Romanoff

Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!