General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

REC: Rutabaga Hash Browns

Started by Jim · · Last activity · 1 post · 279 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 October 2007
Last activity
24 October 2007
Original author
Jim
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
279
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. This isn't exactly new, but I reinvented the idea from having previously
    made rutabaga "french fries", baked and flavored. I suddenly got tired
    of my regular breakfast, and hungered for some nice oil soaked hash browns.

    I coarsely grate about 2 or 3 handfuls of the rutabaga after having
    sliced off some of the rind and wax with which it is covered.

    I add in about 1/4 of the amount of either diced or grated onion.

    Garlic powder and some kind of seasoning are added, I use Mrs Dash
    Original. About 1/2 Tbs.

    Nuke it for 4 minutes or so in my medium power (700 watt) microwave in a
    dish.

    Pop this into a preheated frying pan with a blend of olive oil and
    butter or margarine. Depends on how much oil you want in the final product.

    Form the patty with hands or spatula. Hand forming needs great care
    because of the hot oil.

    About 2 minutes on a side gives that nice brown crunch. I turn the patty
    by flipping the pan... I enjoy flipping things in the pan as it looks so
    much like a real grillman at a greasy spoon joint.

    So far, I have avoided the bland taste of the rutabaga with the onion
    and spices and I almost always put in some Italian cheese too.

    I have read that some will use a small quantity of cubed potato in order
    to get the true flavor back into the rutabaga.

    Something like this was discussed here in 2004, as I found out later
    when I googled for recipes.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.