General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

REC: Spiced Persimmon Sorbet

Started by Wayne Boatwright · · Last activity · 5 posts · 174 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 October 2007
Last activity
17 October 2007
Original author
Wayne Boatwright
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
174
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Our generous neighbors gifted us with a dozen or so perfectly ripe large
    persimmons. We ate several out of hand, then I thought I should make some
    creative use of them. I'm not cooking or baking much right now due to my
    bad back, so this seemed a reasonable choice...

    This recipe is from http://www.frenchgardening.com We thought it was
    superb!

    Persimmon sorbet with spices (Sorbet de kakis aux épices)

    Ingredients:

    For 1 quart:

    3-4 dead ripe Japanese persimmons (to make 3 c. puree)
    3/4 c. sugar
    1 c. water
    1 3" piece of cinnamon bark
    3 cloves
    3 allspice berries
    1 head of star anise
    A 1" piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and cut into 1/8" slices
    5" piece fresh lime peel
    1/4 c. fresh lime juice
    1 T. dark rum

    Put the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Drop in the spices, ginger,
    and lime peel, bring to a boil, and boil gently 5 minutes. Cool and strain
    into a bowl.

    Cut the Japanese persimmons in half crosswise and scoop the fruit into the
    bowl of your food processor with a tablespoon. Squeeze the empty shell to
    extract remaining juice. Measure out three cups and bring to a gentle boil
    in a saucepan. Cook 5 minutes. Add to the syrup. Chill thoroughly.

    Just before freezing, add the lime juice and rum. Freeze in your ice cream
    freezer according to manufacturer's directions.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    __________________________________________________

    Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
    are still free.

  2. On Tues, 16 Oct 2007 03:21:11 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

    wayneboatwright_@_gmail.com said:

    Our generous neighbors gifted us with a dozen or so perfectly ripe large
    persimmons. We ate several out of hand, then I thought I should make some
    creative use of them. I'm not cooking or baking much right now due to my
    bad back, so this seemed a reasonable choice...

    This recipe is from http://www.frenchgardening.com We thought it was
    superb!

    Persimmon sorbet with spices (Sorbet de kakis aux épices)

    Ingredients:

    For 1 quart:

    3-4 dead ripe Japanese persimmons (to make 3 c. puree)
    3/4 c. sugar
    1 c. water
    1 3" piece of cinnamon bark
    3 cloves
    3 allspice berries
    1 head of star anise
    A 1" piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and cut into 1/8" slices
    5" piece fresh lime peel
    1/4 c. fresh lime juice
    1 T. dark rum

    Put the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Drop in the spices, ginger,
    and lime peel, bring to a boil, and boil gently 5 minutes. Cool and strain
    into a bowl.

    Cut the Japanese persimmons in half crosswise and scoop the fruit into the
    bowl of your food processor with a tablespoon. Squeeze the empty shell to
    extract remaining juice. Measure out three cups and bring to a gentle boil
    in a saucepan. Cook 5 minutes. Add to the syrup. Chill thoroughly.

    Just before freezing, add the lime juice and rum. Freeze in your ice cream
    freezer according to manufacturer's directions.

    Looks good. If my son brings me persimmons from their neighbor this
    year, I'll try it. I made jam from some of the ones last year.

    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

  3. "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_@_gmail.com> wrote in message > --

    Quoted message said:

    Wayne Boatwright
    __________________________________________________

    I'd never the rest of my life find ripe persimmons (I've tried ripening them
    myself), but as always with your recipes, I save them, just in case.

    Thanks for the tip on the fried chicken mixture. That saved, too.

    I found some prep pans and just received them the other day, so they will be
    used first time for your recipe.

    Glad you're BACK, and watch your BACK.

    I've had a life-time of back trouble, so I know how you do hurt!
    Dee Dee

  4. Oh pshaw, on Tue 16 Oct 2007 05:01:51a, The Cook meant to say...

    Quoted message said:


    On Tues, 16 Oct 2007 03:21:11 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

    wayneboatwright_@_gmail.com said:

    Our generous neighbors gifted us with a dozen or so perfectly ripe large
    persimmons. We ate several out of hand, then I thought I should make


    some

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    creative use of them. I'm not cooking or baking much right now due to my
    bad back, so this seemed a reasonable choice...

    This recipe is from http://www.frenchgardening.com We thought it was
    superb!

    Persimmon sorbet with spices (Sorbet de kakis aux épices)

    Ingredients:

    For 1 quart:

    3-4 dead ripe Japanese persimmons (to make 3 c. puree)
    3/4 c. sugar
    1 c. water
    1 3" piece of cinnamon bark
    3 cloves
    3 allspice berries
    1 head of star anise
    A 1" piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and cut into 1/8" slices
    5" piece fresh lime peel
    1/4 c. fresh lime juice
    1 T. dark rum

    Put the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Drop in the spices, ginger,
    and lime peel, bring to a boil, and boil gently 5 minutes. Cool and


    strain

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    into a bowl.

    Cut the Japanese persimmons in half crosswise and scoop the fruit into


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    bowl of your food processor with a tablespoon. Squeeze the empty shell to
    extract remaining juice. Measure out three cups and bring to a gentle


    boil

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in a saucepan. Cook 5 minutes. Add to the syrup. Chill thoroughly.

    Just before freezing, add the lime juice and rum. Freeze in your ice


    cream

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    freezer according to manufacturer's directions.

    Looks good. If my son brings me persimmons from their neighbor this
    year, I'll try it. I made jam from some of the ones last year.

    Hope you get some!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    __________________________________________________

    Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
    are still free.

  5. Oh pshaw, on Tue 16 Oct 2007 08:07:27a, Dee Dee meant to say...

    Quoted message said:


    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_@_gmail.com> wrote in message > --

    Quoted message said:

    Wayne Boatwright
    __________________________________________________

    I'd never the rest of my life find ripe persimmons (I've tried ripening
    them myself), but as always with your recipes, I save them, just in
    case.

    Thanks for the tip on the fried chicken mixture. That saved, too.

    I found some prep pans and just received them the other day, so they
    will be used first time for your recipe.

    Glad you're BACK, and watch your BACK.

    I've had a life-time of back trouble, so I know how you do hurt!
    Dee Dee

    Our farmer's market usually has ripe persimmons or they ripen in a day.

    Do try the fried chicken when you can do it outside.

    Thanks, Dee!!!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    __________________________________________________

    Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
    are still free.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.