REC: Sticky Buns

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Grismalkin, Feb 4, 2005.

  1. Grismalkin

    Grismalkin Guest

    Our neighbor came by to borrow some foil to make these. We got the results,
    afterwards. Yum! I'm not sure that this is her recipe, but her husband is a
    baker at a place that makes many fine breads. Her sticky buns didn't have
    raisins in them. I think I would just use butter for this. I don't buy
    margarine anymore. Don't give me grief over my neighbor's sticky buns, Sheldon!

    Sticky Buns

    INGREDIENTS:
    2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
    1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
    1 1/4 cups buttermilk
    2 eggs
    5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup margarine, softened
    1/2 cup white sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder 2 teaspoons salt
    2 tablespoons margarine, softened
    1/2 cup white sugar
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup melted butter 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup raisins
    2/3 cup chopped pecans
    ------DIRECTIONS:
    Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Add buttermilk, eggs, 2
    1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup margarine, 1/2 cup white sugar, baking powder and salt.
    Blend 30 seconds with mixer on low speed, scraping sides and bottom of bowl.
    Beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in remaining 3 cups flour. Dough should
    remain soft and slightly sticky. Knead for 5 minutes, or about 200 turns on a
    lightly floured board. Form dough into a round and place it in an oiled bowl.
    Cover it with a damp cloth and leave it in a warm place to rise until doubled.
    Divide dough in half and roll each half into a 12x7 inch rectangle. Spread each
    half with 1 tablespoon soft margarine, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup white sugar
    and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Roll up halves, beginning at wide side. Seal well by
    pinching the seams. Cut each roll into 12 slices. Coat two 9 inch round cake
    pans with 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup chopped
    pecans in each pan. Place 12 dough

    bake in a preheated 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oven for about 30 minutes.
    Invert and serve.

    Tags:

  2. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Grismalkin wrote:
    > Our neighbor came by to borrow some foil to make these. We got the

    results,
    > afterwards. Yum! I'm not sure that this is her recipe, but her

    husband is a
    > baker at a place that makes many fine breads. Her sticky buns didn't

    have
    > raisins in them. I think I would just use butter for this. I don't

    buy
    > margarine anymore. Don't give me grief over my neighbor's sticky

    buns, Sheldon!

    > Sticky Buns
    >

    > INGREDIENTS:
    > 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
    > 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
    > 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
    > 2 eggs
    > 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    > 1/2 cup margarine, softened
    > 1/2 cup white sugar
    > 2 teaspoons baking powder 2 teaspoons salt
    > 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
    > 1/2 cup white sugar
    > 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    > 1/2 cup melted butter 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    > 1/3 cup raisins
    > 2/3 cup chopped pecans

    > ------DIRECTIONS:
    > Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Add buttermilk,

    eggs, 2
    > 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup margarine, 1/2 cup white sugar, baking powder

    and salt.
    > Blend 30 seconds with mixer on low speed, scraping sides and bottom

    of bowl.
    > Beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in remaining 3 cups flour. Dough

    should
    > remain soft and slightly sticky. Knead for 5 minutes, or about 200

    turns on a
    > lightly floured board. Form dough into a round and place it in an

    oiled bowl.
    > Cover it with a damp cloth and leave it in a warm place to rise until

    doubled.
    > Divide dough in half and roll each half into a 12x7 inch rectangle.

    Spread each
    > half with 1 tablespoon soft margarine, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup

    white sugar
    > and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.

    Recipe looks fine, a typical sweet dough... hint: for easier sprinkling
    first blend sugar with cinnamon. And that's not nearly enough
    cinnamon, I'd use a geneerous Tbs. And nuts, needs nuts... you can
    forego the raisins but not the nuts... pecans are good.

    Roll up halves, beginning at wide side. Seal well by
    > pinching the seams. Cut each roll into 12 slices. Coat two 9 inch

    round cake
    > pans with 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup

    chopped
    > pecans in each pan. Place 12 dough
    >
    > bake in a preheated 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oven for about 30

    minutes.
    > Invert and serve.

  3. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Grismalkin wrote:
    > Our neighbor came by to borrow some foil to make these. We got the results,
    > afterwards. Yum! I'm not sure that this is her recipe, but her husband is a
    > baker at a place that makes many fine breads. Her sticky buns didn't have
    > raisins in them. I think I would just use butter for this. I don't buy
    > margarine anymore. Don't give me grief over my neighbor's sticky buns, Sheldon!

    recipe snipped

    When I was fresh out of college and working in Back Bay, Boston at a
    publishing house, Fridays (payday) we always went to the Red Coach
    Grille for their baked, stuffed shrimp. The bread basket had a tasty
    variety of breads including to-die-for pecan rolls. No raisins, just a
    rich, buttery dough with a butter-cinnamon filling and topping and huge
    toasty pecans. Of course the combination meant we were drowsy all
    afternoon and productivity dipped, but they sure were wonderful.

    gloria p

  4. "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > . And nuts, needs nuts... you can
    > forego the raisins but not the nuts... pecans are good.

    Please forgive Sheldon. I'm sure he meant to say forego the nuts and use
    lots of raisins. Must have raisins.
    --
    Ed
    http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

  5. sf

    sf Guest

    On 05 Feb 2005 04:43:50 GMT, [email protected] (Grismalkin)
    wrote:

    > Her sticky buns didn't have
    > raisins in them. I think I would just use butter for this. I don't buy
    > margarine anymore. Don't give me grief over my neighbor's sticky buns

    I like it with butter and no rasins.

    :)

    sf

  6. On Sat 05 Feb 2005 03:11:00p, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >> . And nuts, needs nuts... you can
    >> forego the raisins but not the nuts... pecans are good.
    >>

    > Please forgive Sheldon. I'm sure he meant to say forego the nuts and use
    > lots of raisins. Must have raisins.

    This is one time when I agree with Sheldon. Must nuts in sticky buns and
    pleanty of them! I could skip the raisins.

    Wayne

  7. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > This is one time when I agree with Sheldon. Must nuts in sticky buns and
    > pleanty of them! I could skip the raisins.

    I can't eat nuts, so I am lucky that the little bakery I know that makes the
    best sticky buns does not use nuts. A sticky but with nuts is a Chelsea bun.

  8. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:38:48 -0500, Dave Smith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A sticky but with nuts is a Chelsea bun.

    I shall say no more.

    Boron

  9. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > This is one time when I agree with Sheldon. Must nuts in sticky
    > buns and pleanty of them! I could skip the raisins.
    >
    > Wayne

    Nuts and dried cranberries (cherry flavoured crasins) is a good
    compromise.

    Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
    Continuing to be Manitoban

  10. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Boron Elgar wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:38:48 -0500, Dave Smith
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >A sticky but with nuts is a Chelsea bun.

    > I shall say no more.

    Damn those clumsy fingers .

    A sticky BUN with nuts is a Chelsea bun.