[REC} Whatever Spinach Shells

Dog3

Guest
Babs Modest Proposal:

How do you use what you have? I propose a submission of recipes using the pastas and these 'rules':
Each post should have a recipe and the subject line should indicate the type of pasta used, and each
post should contain REC to indicate there's a recipe included. E.g., REC: Spaghetti - Spaghetti
Bravissimo. I'm suggesting separate posts for each recipe so that the pissing contests that are sure
to ensue will be appropriately placed. Maybe it will contain the drift a bit.
********

I bought these giant spinach shells from Home Goods. They were on the bargain table marked down from
$5 to $1. I couldn't resist. The package was 1.1 lbs. They were called Conchiglie by LaPorta. I have
no idea what the rest is. It's in Italian. I got this recipe off of a cooking site but for the life
of me can't remember what it was. I think it was absolutelycooking.com or something similar. My
variations are in parenthesis.

Artichoke And Spinach Stuffed Shells

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 tbsp basil, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup nonfat sour cream (I used the real thing) 12 pasta shells, jumbo uncooked 2 tbsp basil,
chopped 2 tbsp lemon juice (I used fresh squeazed) 1 pkg frozen spinach, chopped and thawed 1 cup
frozen artichokes, thawed (I used canned, very well drained/patted dry)

1 cup ricotta cheese, part skim milk 1 tb parsley, chopped 2 tb cornstarch 2 cn stewed tomatoes;
undrained and chopped (I used chopped tomatoes
w/garlic-canned) 8 oz tomato sauce vegetable cooking spray basil sprigs; optional

STEP BY STEP:

Crank the oven up to 350 to preheat

Cook spinach and artichoke hearts according to package directions, omitting salt; drain well (if
using canned artichoke hearts, do not cook) Chop artichoke hearts, and set aside. Cook shells
according to package and set separately on a piece of wax paper.

Meanwhile

Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add spinach, ricotta cheese, and next 4 ingredients.
Process 30 seconds or until smooth. Transfer to a bowl; stir in choped artichokes and sour cream.
Combine stewed tomatoes (or other chopped tomatoes/juice of your choice), tomato sauce, cornstarch,
and 1-1/2 tablespons basil in a saucepan; stir well Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring
frequently. Spoon 1 cup tomato mixture in botton of an 1 x 7 x 1/2-inch baking dish coated with
cooking spray. Spoon spinach mixture evenly into shells. Place shells on sauce in baking dish. Spoon
remaining sauce on top of the shells. Bake uncovered at 350 degree F for 30 minutes or until
bubbling. Garnish with basil sprigs, if desired.

The meal consisted of spinach salad, the pasta and fresh made cheese (bread) sticks. Spumoni was the
dessert. My guests were so plowed on wine and cocktails, I doubt they enjoyed the meal.

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

In article <[email protected]>, Dog3
<dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> Babs
(we'll discuss that privately)
>Modest Proposal:

> I bought these giant spinach shells from Home Goods. They were on the bargain table marked down
> from $5 to $1. I couldn't resist. The package was 1.1 lbs. They were called Conchiglie by LaPorta.
> I have no idea what the rest is. It's in Italian. I got this recipe off of a cooking site but for
> the life of me can't remember what it was. I think it was absolutelycooking.com or something
> similar. My variations are in parenthesis.

> Artichoke And Spinach Stuffed Shells
(snipped)
> Michael

Jeez, does that sound good! There's no one in this house except me who'd eat it, though. Which won't
necessarily stop me from making it. Hmmm, I wonder if daughter-unit and and BRG would like it.
They're coming down next week. Might have to give it a shot.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!