[REC} Whatever Spinach Shells

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dog3, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Babs Modest Proposal:

    How do you use what you have? I propose a submission of recipes using the pastas and these 'rules':
    Each post should have a recipe and the subject line should indicate the type of pasta used, and each
    post should contain REC to indicate there's a recipe included. E.g., REC: Spaghetti - Spaghetti
    Bravissimo. I'm suggesting separate posts for each recipe so that the pissing contests that are sure
    to ensue will be appropriately placed. Maybe it will contain the drift a bit.
    ********

    I bought these giant spinach shells from Home Goods. They were on the bargain table marked down from
    $5 to $1. I couldn't resist. The package was 1.1 lbs. They were called Conchiglie by LaPorta. I have
    no idea what the rest is. It's in Italian. I got this recipe off of a cooking site but for the life
    of me can't remember what it was. I think it was absolutelycooking.com or something similar. My
    variations are in parenthesis.

    Artichoke And Spinach Stuffed Shells

    INGREDIENTS:

    1 1/2 tbsp basil, chopped
    1/4 tsp salt
    2/3 cup nonfat sour cream (I used the real thing) 12 pasta shells, jumbo uncooked 2 tbsp basil,
    chopped 2 tbsp lemon juice (I used fresh squeazed) 1 pkg frozen spinach, chopped and thawed 1 cup
    frozen artichokes, thawed (I used canned, very well drained/patted dry)

    1 cup ricotta cheese, part skim milk 1 tb parsley, chopped 2 tb cornstarch 2 cn stewed tomatoes;
    undrained and chopped (I used chopped tomatoes
    w/garlic-canned) 8 oz tomato sauce vegetable cooking spray basil sprigs; optional

    STEP BY STEP:

    Crank the oven up to 350 to preheat

    Cook spinach and artichoke hearts according to package directions, omitting salt; drain well (if
    using canned artichoke hearts, do not cook) Chop artichoke hearts, and set aside. Cook shells
    according to package and set separately on a piece of wax paper.

    Meanwhile

    Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add spinach, ricotta cheese, and next 4 ingredients.
    Process 30 seconds or until smooth. Transfer to a bowl; stir in choped artichokes and sour cream.
    Combine stewed tomatoes (or other chopped tomatoes/juice of your choice), tomato sauce, cornstarch,
    and 1-1/2 tablespons basil in a saucepan; stir well Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring
    frequently. Spoon 1 cup tomato mixture in botton of an 1 x 7 x 1/2-inch baking dish coated with
    cooking spray. Spoon spinach mixture evenly into shells. Place shells on sauce in baking dish. Spoon
    remaining sauce on top of the shells. Bake uncovered at 350 degree F for 30 minutes or until
    bubbling. Garnish with basil sprigs, if desired.

    The meal consisted of spinach salad, the pasta and fresh made cheese (bread) sticks. Spumoni was the
    dessert. My guests were so plowed on wine and cocktails, I doubt they enjoyed the meal.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Dog3
    <[email protected];not> wrote:

    > Babs
    (we'll discuss that privately)
    >Modest Proposal:

    > I bought these giant spinach shells from Home Goods. They were on the bargain table marked down
    > from $5 to $1. I couldn't resist. The package was 1.1 lbs. They were called Conchiglie by LaPorta.
    > I have no idea what the rest is. It's in Italian. I got this recipe off of a cooking site but for
    > the life of me can't remember what it was. I think it was absolutelycooking.com or something
    > similar. My variations are in parenthesis.

    > Artichoke And Spinach Stuffed Shells
    (snipped)
    > Michael

    Jeez, does that sound good! There's no one in this house except me who'd eat it, though. Which won't
    necessarily stop me from making it. Hmmm, I wonder if daughter-unit and and BRG would like it.
    They're coming down next week. Might have to give it a shot.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!