Recap (for Orac)

tobyjones

Guest
From: "Orac" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: misc.health.alternative
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: Warning: MHA = acahf hangout

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > To any new readers or others who may not be aware of
> > this, to you who are genuinely interested in alt
> > health, please note: Anything that you may post to mha
> > is being carefully noted and monitored by your
> > "friendly" acahf rep.
>
> Really? And what is your evidence for this?

Actually, Orac, it began with a comment by you yourself.
Some scared weird little guy* was embarking on something
called a "gall bladder cleanse". ok.... I didn't know much
about them. He didn't appear to either. Then you made a
comment to the effect that while it would be unlikely to do
anything, if it did, it could possibly be harmful.

So, I passed on the message in a reply to him, saying you
had said that and that he should check it out further.

He asked for web links. The first couple that I checked out
on the web both endorsed your word of caution. Both said
that people could sometimes end up in hospital, consequent
to such "cleanses".

I posted the links, and took some details from one of them
to underscore the need to approach something like that with
a certain amount of caution.

The response from one or two posters was to immediately
attack the person who had been cited as advising to NOT rush
into the cleanse.

No discussion of what was involved in the "cleanse". No
discussion of what might be good advice for someone trying
it out. Instead, an attack on one of the authors.

And that attack was NOT a fact-based appraisal of ...
anything whatsoever. It arose from unproven allegations,
falsehoods, misrepresentations, implied suggestions of
wrongdoing, various slanderous statements, and .... rumour.

What this meant was that time which could have been spent
discussing an alt therapy went instead into witch-hunt mode
after non-existent "facts". The alt health discussion was
blatantly sabotaged.

As well, it led to action being taken across the 'Net / real
life boundary. This is not on. It is not acceptable, and I
will not be a party to such endeavours, nor will I sit back
in silence while it is occurring.

(* - To anth, "Scared Weird Little Guys" is not derogatory,
it is a friendly term: www.swlg.com.au/bio_2.htm
www.saxton.com.au/default.asp?sd8=484 )

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> From: "Orac" <[email protected]> Newsgroups:
> misc.health.alternative Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004
> 12:32 PM Subject: Re: Warning: MHA = acahf hangout
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > > To any new readers or others who may not be aware of
> > > this, to you who are genuinely interested in alt
> > > health, please note: Anything that you may post to mha
> > > is being carefully noted and monitored by your
> > > "friendly" acahf rep.
> >
> > Really? And what is your evidence for this?
>
> Actually, Orac, it began with a comment by you yourself.
> Some scared weird little guy* was embarking on something
> called a "gall bladder cleanse". ok.... I didn't know much
> about them. He didn't appear to either. Then you made a
> comment to the effect that while it would be unlikely to
> do anything, if it did, it could possibly be harmful.
>
> So, I passed on the message in a reply to him, saying you
> had said that
and
> that he should check it out further.
>
> He asked for web links. The first couple that I checked
> out on the web
both
> endorsed your word of caution. Both said that people could
> sometimes end up in hospital, consequent to such
> "cleanses".
>
> I posted the links, and took some details from one of them
> to underscore the need to approach something like that
> with a certain amount of caution.
>
> The response from one or two posters was to immediately
> attack the person who had been cited as advising to NOT
> rush into the cleanse.
>
> No discussion of what was involved in the "cleanse". No
> discussion of
what
> might be good advice for someone trying it out. Instead,
> an attack on one of the authors.
>
> And that attack was NOT a fact-based appraisal of ...
> anything whatsoever. It arose from unproven allegations,
> falsehoods, misrepresentations,
implied
> suggestions of wrongdoing, various slanderous statements,
> and .... rumour.
>
> What this meant was that time which could have been spent
> discussing an
alt
> therapy went instead into witch-hunt mode after non-
> existent "facts". The alt health discussion was blatantly
> sabotaged.
>
> As well, it led to action being taken across the 'Net /
> real life
boundary.
> This is not on. It is not acceptable, and I will not be a
> party to such endeavours, nor will I sit back in silence
> while it is occurring.
>
> (* - To anth, "Scared Weird Little Guys" is not
> derogatory, it is a friendly term:
> www.swlg.com.au/bio_2.htm
> www.saxton.com.au/default.asp?sd8=484 )

I'm not scared in the slightest - **** happens all the time.
(I also remind the cynics of the efforts of Dr Victor
Herbert with proving folate deficiency) The reason why I am
doing a cleanse is basically for the hell of it and to
settle a few points. (Up to Day 5 drinking apple juice) Anth

> From: "Orac" <[email protected]> Newsgroups:
> misc.health.alternative Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004
> 12:32 PM Subject: Re: Warning: MHA = acahf hangout
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > > To any new readers or others who may not be aware of
> > > this, to you who are genuinely interested in alt
> > > health, please note: Anything that you may post to mha
> > > is being carefully noted and monitored by your
> > > "friendly" acahf rep.
> >
> > Really? And what is your evidence for this?
>
> Actually, Orac, it began with a comment by you yourself.

I'm not a member of the ACAHF.

>Some scared weird little guy* was embarking on something
>called a "gall bladder cleanse". ok.... I didn't know much
>about them. He didn't appear to either. Then you made a
>comment to the effect that while it would be unlikely to do
>anything, if it did, it could possibly be harmful.

Actually, I said that it didn't do anything, but if it
actually could dislodge stones without dissolving them
completely, that could potentially be harmful.

I also pointed out to others that most people who use these
flushes have no objective evidence that they even have
stones, nor do they have any evidence (before and after
ultrasound studies, for instance) that they do anything.

> So, I passed on the message in a reply to him, saying you
> had said that and that he should check it out further.
>
> He asked for web links. The first couple that I checked
> out on the web both endorsed your word of caution. Both
> said that people could sometimes end up in hospital,
> consequent to such "cleanses".
>
> I posted the links, and took some details from one of them
> to underscore the need to approach something like that
> with a certain amount of caution.
>
> The response from one or two posters was to immediately
> attack the person who had been cited as advising to NOT
> rush into the cleanse.

Really? Specifics of this "attack"?

> No discussion of what was involved in the "cleanse". No
> discussion of what might be good advice for someone trying
> it out. Instead, an attack on one of the authors.

Really? Specifics of this "attack"?

> And that attack was NOT a fact-based appraisal of ...
> anything whatsoever. It arose from unproven
> allegations, falsehoods, misrepresentations, implied
> suggestions of wrongdoing, various slanderous
> statements, and .... rumour.

Really? Specifics of this "attack"?

> What this meant was that time which could have been spent
> discussing an alt therapy went instead into witch-hunt
> mode after non-existent "facts". The alt health discussion
> was blatantly sabotaged.

Oh, please. Give me a break. This is Usenet. It's like the
friggin' Wild West. Anyone can say anything any time they
want, and they do.

> As well, it led to action being taken across the 'Net /
> real life boundary.

If it kept anyone from using these useless flushes and
instead opting to go to a doctor, I would counter that this
is a good thing.

> This is not on. It is not acceptable, and I will not be a
> party to such endeavours, nor will I sit back in silence
> while it is occurring.

Can the self-righteousness. It's not convincing, and it just
makes you look silly.

|"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do

"Anth" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > www.swlg.com.au/bio_2.htm
> > www.saxton.com.au/default.asp?sd8=484 )
>
> I'm not scared in the slightest - **** happens all the
> time. (I also remind the cynics of the efforts of Dr
> Victor Herbert with proving folate deficiency) The reason
> why I am doing a cleanse is basically for the hell of it
> and to settle a few points. (Up to Day 5 drinking apple
> juice) Anth

ok, well, good luck with it.

>I'm not scared in the slightest - **** happens all
>the time.

Yes, for those who cleanse unnecessarily.........

>(I also remind the cynics of the efforts of Dr Victor
>Herbert with proving folate deficiency) The reason why I
>am doing a cleanse is basically for the hell of it and
>to settle a few points. (Up to Day 5 drinking apple
>juice) Anth

"Ilsa9.11" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >I'm not scared in the slightest - **** happens all
> >the time.
>
> Yes, for those who cleanse unnecessarily.........
====================
And for those getting enough roughage in their diets. No
unnatural "cleanses" needed. ;-)
--
Kim Please note, I don't wish to get involved in any
personal conflicts between the posters here. I'm simply

"Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ilsa9.11" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040311152627.03003.00001059@mb-
> m15.aol.com...
> > >
> > >I'm not scared in the slightest - **** happens all the
> > >time.
> >
> > Yes, for those who cleanse unnecessarily.........
> ====================
> And for those getting enough roughage in their diets. No
> unnatural "cleanses" needed. ;-)

This is something that I fail to understand about these
cleanses. You take a concoction that makes you gag and puke,
causes painful cramps, ending with bowel eruptions and a
sore hiney. ,,,and they call it "natural".

"Nana Weedkiller" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> This is something that I fail to understand about these
> cleanses. You take a concoction that makes you gag and
> puke, causes painful cramps, ending with bowel eruptions
> and a sore hiney. ,,,and they call it "natural".

"Natural" in this case is simply being used as a synonym for
"old- fashioned." Purges were a mainstay of pre-modern
medical treatment, particularly during the Victorian era,
which for some reason is where much American nostalgia puts
the Golden Age. I suspect that the notion that "if it's
unpleasant, it must be good for you" forms a big part of the
rationale.

Where would somebody get a notion that these cleanses are
unpleasant in the least bit, make you gag or puke, cause
bowel eruptions or cramps? The magnesium in the flush prep
stage makes one feel wonderful and healthy.

Ignorance at it's finest here.

"Eric Bohlman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Nana Weedkiller" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > This is something that I fail to understand about these
> > cleanses. You take a concoction that makes you gag and
> > puke, causes painful cramps, ending with bowel eruptions
> > and a sore hiney. ,,,and they call it "natural".
>
> "Natural" in this case is simply being used as a synonym
> for "old- fashioned." Purges were a mainstay of pre-modern
> medical treatment, particularly during the Victorian era,
> which for some reason is where much American nostalgia
> puts the Golden Age. I suspect that the notion that
"if
> it's unpleasant, it must be good for you" forms a big part
> of the rationale.

"Nana Weedkiller" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> "Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:s7KdnZOBlqKiOs7dRVn-
> [email protected]...
> >
> > "Ilsa9.11" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040311152627.03003.00001059@mb-
> > m15.aol.com...

> > > Yes, for those who cleanse unnecessarily.........
> > ====================
> > And for those getting enough roughage in their diets. No
> > unnatural "cleanses" needed. ;-)
>
> This is something that I fail to understand about these
> cleanses. You take a concoction that makes you gag and
> puke, causes painful cramps, ending with bowel eruptions
> and a sore hiney. ,,,and they call it "natural".
===========================
I know exactly what you mean. There is nothing natural about
it so why are they pushing it? Anyone on a good diet will
not need these cleanses, flushes and enemas. Yes enemas.
There are people paying to have some quack give them herbal
enemas to cleanse their colons. How unnatural is THAT?
Sounds kinky to me.
--
Kim Please note, I don't wish to get involved in any
personal conflicts between the posters here. I'm simply
looking for answers.

"Gymmy Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Where would somebody get a notion that these cleanses are
> unpleasant in
the
> least bit, make you gag or puke, cause bowel eruptions or
> cramps? The magnesium in the flush prep stage makes one
> feel wonderful and healthy.
>
> Ignorance at it's finest here.
Who doesn't know someone who tried one of these unnatural
cleanses? Who doesn't remember them talking about 100 trips
to the toilet, the sore/inflamed anus afterward? The "raw
gut" feeling?

Tell us how all this Magnesium is healthy for us? If you're
deficient you can buy the magnesium tablets for almost
nothing at any Wal-Mart store. ;-) No unnatural cleanse
needed. Try sticking to a good diet and see how wonderful
and healthy you feel.