Reccommend any good Online Tyre/Tube supplier in Australia?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Rod Out Back, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Rod Out Back

    Rod Out Back Guest

    Folks,

    Looking for shop who has a decent range of tyre for MTB. Prefer
    someone online (I live in the sticks) who has a decent range of the
    wider MTB fittings (Mine are 26x2.5). I'd also prefer in Australia, if
    possible.

    I have looked at Moruya Bicycles, Dean Woods and Cecil Walker. Are
    there any others who focus more on tyres? I would like a more
    thorn-resitant tread than the factory-supplied Kenda Bluegroove tyres
    I have now. I have just installed slime tubes this morning, but
    looking at the number of thorns coming through the tyre(mainly
    goatheads, by the look), I was interested in a heavier tread tyre if
    possible. I'm not doing anything off dirt vehicle tracks, but the
    current tyres seem to be bloody thorn-magnets. Loking at that deep
    rim, it cant be hard to fit a heavier tread to it!

    I have looked at the range of Continental MTB tyres, and while they
    look good, they are somewhat vague about their puncture-resistance
    when it comes to specific tyres, and how it works. They also get a bit
    vague about what sizes are available in what styles.

    Any ideas (and/or brand/style reccommendations) welcomed.

    Cheers,

    Rod.....Out Back

    Tags:

  2. Jock

    Jock Guest

    Rod,
    Just a tip, there was a thread here ages back about punctures & prevention.
    Get a bit of stiff wire & bend it in an arc between the stays just shy of
    the tyre's circumference. As you pick up the thorns, they become dislodged
    on the first turn as they pass the wire arc and you will suffer a lot less
    punctures. We always had this on the dragsters in the olden days. Works a
    treat.
    Jock

    "Rod Out Back" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    | Folks,
    |
    | Looking for shop who has a decent range of tyre for MTB. Prefer
    | someone online (I live in the sticks) who has a decent range of the
    | wider MTB fittings (Mine are 26x2.5). I'd also prefer in Australia, if
    | possible.
    |
    | I have looked at Moruya Bicycles, Dean Woods and Cecil Walker. Are
    | there any others who focus more on tyres? I would like a more
    | thorn-resitant tread than the factory-supplied Kenda Bluegroove tyres
    | I have now. I have just installed slime tubes this morning, but
    | looking at the number of thorns coming through the tyre(mainly
    | goatheads, by the look), I was interested in a heavier tread tyre if
    | possible. I'm not doing anything off dirt vehicle tracks, but the
    | current tyres seem to be bloody thorn-magnets. Loking at that deep
    | rim, it cant be hard to fit a heavier tread to it!
    |
    | I have looked at the range of Continental MTB tyres, and while they
    | look good, they are somewhat vague about their puncture-resistance
    | when it comes to specific tyres, and how it works. They also get a bit
    | vague about what sizes are available in what styles.
    |
    | Any ideas (and/or brand/style reccommendations) welcomed.
    |

    | Cheers,
    |
    | Rod.....Out Back

  3. Rod Out Back

    Rod Out Back Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 01:58:17 GMT, "Jock"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Rod,
    >Just a tip, there was a thread here ages back about punctures & prevention.
    >Get a bit of stiff wire & bend it in an arc between the stays just shy of
    >the tyre's circumference. As you pick up the thorns, they become dislodged
    >on the first turn as they pass the wire arc and you will suffer a lot less
    >punctures. We always had this on the dragsters in the olden days. Works a
    >treat.
    >Jock
    >

    >"Rod Out Back" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >| Folks,
    >|
    >| Looking for shop who has a decent range of tyre for MTB. Prefer
    >| someone online (I live in the sticks) who has a decent range of the
    >| wider MTB fittings (Mine are 26x2.5). I'd also prefer in Australia, if
    >| possible.
    >|
    >| I have looked at Moruya Bicycles, Dean Woods and Cecil Walker. Are
    >| there any others who focus more on tyres? I would like a more
    >| thorn-resitant tread than the factory-supplied Kenda Bluegroove tyres
    >| I have now. I have just installed slime tubes this morning, but
    >| looking at the number of thorns coming through the tyre(mainly
    >| goatheads, by the look), I was interested in a heavier tread tyre if
    >| possible. I'm not doing anything off dirt vehicle tracks, but the
    >| current tyres seem to be bloody thorn-magnets. Loking at that deep
    >| rim, it cant be hard to fit a heavier tread to it!
    >|
    >| I have looked at the range of Continental MTB tyres, and while they
    >| look good, they are somewhat vague about their puncture-resistance
    >| when it comes to specific tyres, and how it works. They also get a bit
    >| vague about what sizes are available in what styles.
    >|
    >| Any ideas (and/or brand/style reccommendations) welcomed.
    >|

    >| Cheers,
    >|
    >| Rod.....Out Back

    Jock,

    Not a bad idea...I might experiment with this. Many thanks.

    Cheers,

    Rod.....Out Back

  4. tony f

    tony f Guest

    "Rod Out Back" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Folks,
    >
    > Looking for shop who has a decent range of tyre for MTB. Prefer
    > someone online (I live in the sticks) who has a decent range of the
    > wider MTB fittings (Mine are 26x2.5). I'd also prefer in Australia, if
    > possible.
    >
    > I have looked at Moruya Bicycles, Dean Woods and Cecil Walker. Are
    > there any others who focus more on tyres?

    I don't know taht there's any in Oz that focus on tyres, but you could also
    try Phantom - http://www.phantomcycles.com.au Phantom stocks Continental mtb
    tyres, and is sure to have something on special. Be aware that not
    everything he has is on-line - send him an email, IM, or ring if you want
    more info.

    Tony F
    www.thefathippy.com

  5. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 01:25:45 +0000, Rod Out Back wrote:

    > Any ideas (and/or brand/style reccommendations) welcomed.

    Maxxis High Roller 2.5" or go for a 2.3" ish tyre with thornproof tubes.
    Shouldn't be stupid expensive from Kerry @ http://www.phantomcycles.com.au

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    There are some things so serious you have to laugh at them. - Niels Bohr

  6. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
    Have a look at: Torpedo7

    http://www.torpedo7.com/page/bikes/CTGY/tires_mtb-mountain_bike

    Have had good service from Torp7. Said you want to shop on net so it doesnt matter if they are in NZ. Probably closer to Mt Isa than Melb. NO GST payable from NZ and only $9 freight. No problems with Visa on net and they keep you informed of WTF is going on. Unlike most USA net shops.

    Hugh
    Townsville

  7. Rod Out Back

    Rod Out Back Guest

    On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 23:18:36 +1100, HughMann
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Rod Out Back Wrote:
    >> Folks,
    >>
    >> Looking for shop who has a decent range of tyre for MTB. Prefer
    >> someone online (I live in the sticks) who has a decent range of the
    >> wider MTB fittings (Mine are 26x2.5). I'd also prefer in Australia, if
    >> possible.
    >>
    >> Snip....
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Rod.....Out Back

    >Have a look at: 'Torpedo7'
    >(http://www.torpedo7.com/page/bikes/CTGY/tires_mtb-mountain_bike)
    >
    >http://www.torpedo7.com/page/bikes/CTGY/tires_mtb-mountain_bike
    >
    >Have had good service from Torp7. Said you want to shop on net so it
    >doesnt matter if they are in NZ. Probably closer to Mt Isa than Melb.
    >NO GST payable from NZ and only $9 freight. No problems with Visa on
    >net and they keep you informed of WTF is going on. Unlike most USA net
    >shops.
    >
    >Hugh
    >Townsville

    Hugh,

    Thanks fo the idea. I'll have a look at them tomorrow.

    Cheers,

    Rod.....Out Back

  8. Rod Out Back

    Rod Out Back Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:55:46 +1100, Random Data
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 01:25:45 +0000, Rod Out Back wrote:
    >
    >> Any ideas (and/or brand/style reccommendations) welcomed.

    >Maxxis High Roller 2.5" or go for a 2.3" ish tyre with thornproof tubes.
    >Shouldn't be stupid expensive from Kerry @ http://www.phantomcycles.com.au

    Dave,

    Thanks for that; I had a bit of a look at phantom cycles, and liked
    the tread on a Synros Point 'N Chute tyre. It seems to be tight
    enough to reduce the goatheads a bit. Dont know anything about Syncros
    as a brand, though.

    Thanks for the ideas,

    Cheers,

    Rod.....Out Back

  9. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 12:43:55 +0000, Rod Out Back wrote:

    > Thanks for that; I had a bit of a look at phantom cycles, and liked the
    > tread on a Synros Point 'N Chute tyre. It seems to be tight enough to
    > reduce the goatheads a bit. Dont know anything about Syncros as a brand,
    > though.

    I've got one on the front of my XC bike at the moment. It's the 2.3,
    replacing a Conti Vertical. Similar bag shape, so a fairly rounded
    profile. I found I had to drop the pressure quite a bit to get it to hook
    up - I think it's running around 30psi now. I'm not 100% sure if I like it
    yet, because I haven't had much chance to ride that bike lately.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    Oh, loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix.

  10. Shaw

    Shaw Guest

    >>Rod Out Back Wrote:
    >>> Folks,
    >>>
    >>> Looking for shop who has a decent range of tyre for MTB. Prefer
    >>> someone online (I live in the sticks) who has a decent range of the
    >>> wider MTB fittings (Mine are 26x2.5). I'd also prefer in Australia, if
    >>> possible.
    >>>
    >>> Snip....
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Rod.....Out Back

    >>Have a look at: 'Torpedo7'
    >>(http://www.torpedo7.com/page/bikes/CTGY/tires_mtb-mountain_bike)
    >>
    >>http://www.torpedo7.com/page/bikes/CTGY/tires_mtb-mountain_bike
    >>
    >>Have had good service from Torp7. Said you want to shop on net so it
    >>doesnt matter if they are in NZ. Probably closer to Mt Isa than Melb.
    >>NO GST payable from NZ and only $9 freight. No problems with Visa on
    >>net and they keep you informed of WTF is going on. Unlike most USA net
    >>shops.
    >>
    >>Hugh
    >>Townsville

    > Hugh,
    >
    > Thanks fo the idea. I'll have a look at them tomorrow.
    >

    > Cheers,
    >
    > Rod.....Out Back

    Sorry to hijack, but is their Innova slicks any good - for commuting / road
    training? I am thinking of the narrowest ones (1.25"). They seem cheap!

    Ooooh BTW, their site is currently showing everything at $0.00!

  11. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    Random Data wrote:
    >. I'm not 100% sure if I like it
    > yet, because I haven't had much chance to ride that bike lately.

    Riding it on Sunday?

  12. slaw

    slaw New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2004
    Not sure if that's a good idea for knobbies though, could result in an OTB (over the bars) experience.

  13. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 09:46:02 +0000, Parbs wrote:

    > Riding it on Sunday?

    Have I got my weekends mixed up, or is that Sunday week?
    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    Oh, loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix.
    - Comic Book Guy

  14. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    Random Data wrote:

    > Have I got my weekends mixed up, or is that Sunday week?

    Both - 4 hour this Sunday, 8 hour next Sunday

    Parbs

  15. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:57:04 +0000, Parbs wrote:

    > Both - 4 hour this Sunday, 8 hour next Sunday

    Despite having new wanky bits on the Kikapu (and socks to match, thanks to
    my suppliers' sense of humour), I shan't be doing any short events this
    weekend. Next weekend I hope to do dirt crits + the 8 hour. 450g lost on
    that bike now, but anything more will take a fork transplant, or new
    brakes. I don't have that $$$ lying around. Dammit.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    A man might spend his life peering at the private life of elementary