Recently bought a Giant OCR 2 Second-Hand

Craggles

Oct 25, 2010
Currently in the Uk, and my local bike shop gave me arun down of the issues with my bike. The middle (3 speed) front chain ring, is thoroughly bent and needs replacing. I need a new 9 speed chain and a 9 speed cassette at the back (currently 8 speed and my shift does 9), and ontop of that I need a new rear derailileur as my current one is from a mountain bike.

Firstly, what components would you suggest

Secondly, where would I get them cheaply.

Thirdly, would a newbie be able to fit said components with online videos and guides?

Eagerly awaiting any response.

Originally Posted by Craggles .

Currently in the Uk, and my local bike shop gave me arun down of the issues with my bike. The middle (3 speed) front chain ring, is thoroughly bent and needs replacing. I need a new 9 speed chain and a 9 speed cassette at the back (currently 8 speed and my shift does 9), and ontop of that I need a new rear derailileur as my current one is from a mountain bike.

Firstly, what components would you suggest

Secondly, where would I get them cheaply.

Thirdly, would a newbie be able to fit said components with online videos and guides?

Eagerly awaiting any response.
what is your current groupo? I'd stick to whatever brand you currently have. Having said that, if you can get a shimano 105 crank and chain, they are hard to beat (assuming you have shimano components) You can try a SRAM 9 sp cassette also; it will work with Shimano. Are you replacing just the chain rings? or the whole crank assembly and bottom bracket?

The best prices are typically on Ebay but try Price Point or Nashbar. Many others have sales and discount coupons.
The work required is certainly within the capabilities of a newbie if you do your homework. You'll need a chain whip, cassette tool, socket wrench, chain tool, hex keys, BB tool, screw drivers, pliers, cable cutting tool, pedal wrench, bike grease... If you don't have these tools, I'd just let your LBS do the work...
Read as much as you can, some of the videos suck, so you need to watch several until you get a feel for which ones are the best.... You may just want to get a book, like Zinn's "the art of road bike maintenance" and be done with it.

If your shifters and your MTB rear derailleur are Shimano, then they will work together. No need to replace the derailleur unless the aesthetics displease you. Just remember to turn the "B" screw almost all the way out if you are putting a "road" cassette on the bike. Any Shimano/ SRAM/ Wipperman 9spd chain will work. Read up on getting the chain length correct.
For your crankset, you probably need a 39T or 42T, 130mm BCD, 5 bolt chainring (check that you know what I am talking about and that I am correct before you order). Plenty available on the web. If you have a mountain rear D then you can pretty much use any Shimano 9spd cassette on the market, although I wouldn't get one with fewer than 25T on the big sprocket.
Fitting all these things is straightforward as far as bike work goes. You'll need hex (Allen) keys, a 9spd chain tool, a chain whip (you can get by without this, but it's a pain), a Shimano cassette lockring tool and some screwdrivers.
For a resource, go to http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
For parts, google "Wiggle" (that site is excellent and local to you.)

(mods: can't remember if I'm allowed to link to a shop)