Recently observed in a lap lane

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jim Martin, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Jim Martin

    Jim Martin Guest

    Hi All:

    Last week a woman got in my lane and proceded to swim at least 500m DOG PADDLE.

    Then yesterday, a woman in the lane next to me swam about 30min of trudgeon crawl.

    I had never seen any adult swim dog paddle and I had not seen trdugeon crawl since red cross lessons
    in the 60s.

    Cheers,

    Jim

    ---

  2. Old Swimmer

    Old Swimmer Guest

    Dog paddle is one of our coaches "favorite" drills. The group in lane 2 do it complete with barking
    sounds. It's one of the few drills I've never thought to ask what it's for. Anyone know?

    "Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All:
    >
    > Last week a woman got in my lane and proceded to swim at least 500m DOG PADDLE.
    >
    > Then yesterday, a woman in the lane next to me swam about 30min of
    trudgeon
    > crawl.
    >
    > I had never seen any adult swim dog paddle and I had not seen trdugeon
    crawl
    > since red cross lessons in the 60s.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Jim
    >

    > ---

  3. "Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All:
    >
    > Last week a woman got in my lane and proceded to swim at least 500m DOG PADDLE.
    >
    > Then yesterday, a woman in the lane next to me swam about 30min of
    trudgeon
    > crawl.
    >
    > I had never seen any adult swim dog paddle and I had not seen trdugeon
    crawl
    > since red cross lessons in the 60s.

    I was swimming in the sea on Wednesday last and a dog swam about 500m with me - I didn't notice the
    stroke though.

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Perhaps it was Butterfly!!!

    "Duncan Heenan" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi All:
    > >
    > > Last week a woman got in my lane and proceded to swim at least 500m DOG PADDLE.
    > >
    > > Then yesterday, a woman in the lane next to me swam about 30min of
    > trudgeon
    > > crawl.
    > >
    > > I had never seen any adult swim dog paddle and I had not seen trdugeon
    > crawl
    > > since red cross lessons in the 60s.
    >
    > I was swimming in the sea on Wednesday last and a dog swam about 500m with me - I didn't notice
    > the stroke though.

  5. Sean

    Sean Guest

    "Duncan Heenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi All:
    > >
    > > Last week a woman got in my lane and proceded to swim at least 500m DOG PADDLE.
    > >
    > > Then yesterday, a woman in the lane next to me swam about 30min of
    > trudgeon
    > > crawl.
    > >
    > > I had never seen any adult swim dog paddle and I had not seen trdugeon
    > crawl
    > > since red cross lessons in the 60s.
    >
    > I was swimming in the sea on Wednesday last and a dog swam about 500m with me - I didn't notice
    > the stroke though.

    Doggy poodle..........sorry.

  6. Dakitty

    Dakitty Guest

    Doggiestyle? ;)

    news:[email protected]...
    > Perhaps it was Butterfly!!!
    >
    > "Duncan Heenan" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi All:
    > > >
    > > > Last week a woman got in my lane and proceded to swim at least 500m
    DOG
    > > > PADDLE.
    > > >
    > > > Then yesterday, a woman in the lane next to me swam about 30min of
    > > trudgeon
    > > > crawl.
    > > >
    > > > I had never seen any adult swim dog paddle and I had not seen trdugeon
    > > crawl
    > > > since red cross lessons in the 60s.
    > >
    > > I was swimming in the sea on Wednesday last and a dog swam about 500m
    with
    > > me - I didn't notice the stroke though.

  7. Andresmuro

    Andresmuro Guest

    >I was swimming in the sea on Wednesday last and a dog swam about 500m with me - I didn't notice the
    >stroke though.

    He might have been doing the human paddle style.

    Andres

  8. King Frog

    King Frog Guest

    Trudgeon - wot's that?

    "sean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Duncan Heenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi All:
    > > >
    > > > Last week a woman got in my lane and proceded to swim at least 500m
    DOG
    > > > PADDLE.
    > > >
    > > > Then yesterday, a woman in the lane next to me swam about 30min of
    > > trudgeon
    > > > crawl.
    > > >
    > > > I had never seen any adult swim dog paddle and I had not seen trdugeon
    > > crawl
    > > > since red cross lessons in the 60s.
    > >
    > > I was swimming in the sea on Wednesday last and a dog swam about 500m
    with
    > > me - I didn't notice the stroke though.
    >
    > Doggy poodle..........sorry.

  9. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "King Frog" wrote:
    > Trudgeon - wot's that?

    Yeah, I had the same question. After reading the following, I'm still having trouble visualizing it.
    Any video anywhere?

    http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trudgeon

    Trudgeon

    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

    The Trudgeon is a swimming stroke sometimes known as the racing stroke , or the East Indian stroke .

    One swims mostly upon one side, making an overhand movement, lifting the arms alternately out of the
    water. When the left arm is above the head, the legs spread apart for a kick; as the left arm comes
    down the legs extend and are then brought together with a sharp scissors kick . The right arm is now
    brought forward over the water, and as it comes down the left arm is extended again. The scissors
    kick comes every second stroke; it involves spreading the legs, then bringing them together with a
    sudden "snap" movement.

    The swimmer's head is underwater most of the time; the only chance to breathe is when the hand is
    coming back and just as the elbow passes the face.